DC "Road Rage" one punch kill

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

DC "Road Rage" one punch kill

Post by bignflnut »

But Desmond Joseph, 41, was in a work zone and apparently had trouble reaching the space he needed. Witnesses told police that he got out of the truck and started tossing aside orange traffic cones blocking the way. It was Thursday about 3:40 p.m.

A construction worker confronted Joseph and an argument turned into a single punch to the head, D.C. police said. Knocked unconscious, Joseph was put on life support.

SNIP

Police said the construction worker, Paul Kenneth Hagans, 36, who lives in Upper Marlboro, Md., was charged with aggravated assault, filed before Joseph had died. Authorities said on Monday that additional charges are pending a review by the U.S. attorney’s office. Hagans’s attorney, John J. Carney, called the incident “a real sad situation” but declined to comment on specifics of the case.
Neither NICS, metal detectors, nor all them fancy "licensing laws" could stop this death...

Quick, somebody ban closed fists!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
glocksmith

Re: DC "Road Rage" one punch kill

Post by glocksmith »

My CHL class instructor told one student that he could not legally shoot someone who had him pinned down and was "wailing on him". I disagreed at the time and still do. Punches can kill. There have been other documented cases in recent years - a foreigner visiting NYC hit his head on the pavement after being knocked down by a single punch. That is why I would not hesitate to throw lead at someone trying to punch my lights out. One can reasonably argue in court that they feared for their life...citing the above case. At least that's how I see it.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Here's a link to the story:

http://wapo.st/2lONkeg
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

re; ''...who had him pinned down and was "wailing on him..."

That's a force multiplier and IMHO changes the victim's response options significantly

In any event, very sad a guy went to work one day just trying to make an honest living and boom.
Will keep family in prayer
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

WhyNot wrote:In any event, very sad a guy went to work one day just trying to make an honest living and boom.
I guess I left the story with a different impression. Both sounded like bleepin jerks. One too good to abide by the orange barrels that the rest of society has to grudgingly contend with...the other a dangerous hothead. Hopefully the puncher gets the book thrown at him - assault with intent to commit murder or something to that effect. Situation win-win?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

glocksmith wrote:
WhyNot wrote:In any event, very sad a guy went to work one day just trying to make an honest living and boom.
I guess I left the story with a different impression. Both sounded like bleepin jerks.
“Desmond was an excellent worker and a wonderful person,” Sulekoiki said. “I was almost paralyzed when I heard what happened.”

Lisa Joseph said her husband “probably got agitated” because the cones were in the way of “where he normally parks per instruction of his supervisor.”

SNIP

“He had a very generous heart,” Lisa Joseph said, adding that it was what sold her on her husband. “He came to this country treating everyone the same. Desmond befriended anybody.”
Except, apparently, the guy who punched his ticket.
Civility and distance are our friends.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Everybody loves you when you're dead. Just like the recently deceased pants-half-down gang-bangers with the corn rows are always great guys who'd do anything for you...they just happened, (according to their friends and family speaking to the news camera) to be in the wrong place at the wrong time :roll:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

FWIW, I spend a lot of time in one of those zones. I can understand a fight ensuing. Some idiot that can't wait a minute and moves some barrels just intentionally risked the lives of all the people in that zone.

That being said, I've read where it's been said a beating isn't a severe enough threat for deadly force. As I get older, the thought of blood clots and such go though my mind about getting beat.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've known the back story about two similar fatal incidents around here in the past several years. In both cases the punchers had previous history of assaulting people without excusable provocation (they were hothead he-man types) but they received no punishment.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.