OCing couple kicked out of Centerville Costco

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

OCing couple kicked out of Centerville Costco

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

http://fox45now.com/news/local/local-co ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summary:
Couple join a private club whose contract includes this provision "Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorize law enforcement officers."
Couple open carry in Costco.
Couple are approached and asked, not to leave, but to conceal.
Couple fail or refuse to do so.
Couple are approached again.
Couple argue "Mah rights are be-in' vi-ho-layted".
Couple leave.
Couple want "answers" and want Costco to post their stores.

Tip: If you join a private club, take a minute to read the rules. If you're asked to conceal, shut up and do it.

I'm not defending Costco. I'm not a member and am not interested in joining. That said, this couple failed to follow the rules they agreed to, could've been arrested but weren't.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OCing couple kicked out of Centerville Costco

Post by WY_Not »

What answers do they want? They failed to read terms and conditions before signing. They failed to follow the terms and conditions of membership. They then wanted to argue about it. Posted or not, it is the business' right to ask them to cover up or leave.

Not a lot of sympathy for them.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WY_Not wrote:What answers do they want? They failed to read terms and conditions before signing. They failed to follow the terms and conditions of membership. They then wanted to argue about it...
And made it more likely that corporate will reemphasize to these sensible yet wayward employees that if someone is OCing, no you do not ask them to cover up. You call the police and let the chips fall where they may. Turds.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Sometimes other gun owners are our worst enemies it seems.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

The last time i looked, the CostCo right next to Cabelas on the North side of Columbus was plastered with YUGE "no guns" signs.

As a result, I've never shopped there and never will.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Costco sucks hot air......they just raised their membership fee, they claim business is down.....never had one never will unless they change their stance on no gun policy...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
robbo

Post by robbo »

WY_Not wrote:What answers do they want? They failed to read terms and conditions before signing. They failed to follow the terms and conditions of membership. They then wanted to argue about it. Posted or not, it is the business' right to ask them to cover up or leave.

Not a lot of sympathy for them.
Right on
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Would really enjoy sitting across a table from these fine folks and ask them what their thought process and goals were. Then I would measure their IQ.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Mason said after shopping for a few minutes she and her boyfriend were approached by two employees.

"I noticed that you're open carrying would you mind covering that up because a couple of customers have complained it's made them nervous," Mason said the employees said.

Mason said she and her boyfriend complied, but because they hadn't dressed to conceal of their guns were still showing.
Sounds like they looked for the Gun Buster sign, and didn't see one, therefore proceeded.

As for not reading the terms and conditions deal, have you ever been the non-primary account holder on anything that gets you a card? Perhaps it was a gift membership...Have you always read the terms and conditions thereof? If the employees asking you to conceal aren't quoting policy to you, why would you think it was policy?

Sounds like he was able to conceal and did, but that she hadn't dressed for the occasion and couldn't (you get into off the body carry and putting it on HIS waist, and touching the weapons and and and...)

FWIW, if you come to me with the complaint of some other patrons, I'd be unsympathetic to the request. If it's your policy, and I agreed to such (which was magically discovered by corporate big wigs after the fact, not how they were presented with the issue), that's one thing. If you're asserting the businessowner's rights to conduct business the way they see fit, that businessowner is dangerously wrong, but I'm your huckleberry.

But if you're asking me to make some anonymous cowardly blue-haired biddys happy, I'll pass. Send them to me and we'll come to an understanding.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Meh. Employee says to cover or leave and you want to stand and argue... still no sympathy. If you want to keep arguing when the LEO arrives, here's hoping you enjoy your ride.

Costco's has been anti for a long time. This policy was not magically discovered by corporate big wigs after the fact.

I'm all for exercising one's rights but your rights do not override or negate someone else's rights. No one is forcing anyone to shop at Costco's. If you don't like their terms you are free to go elsewhere.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

WY_Not wrote:I'm all for exercising one's rights but your rights do not override or negate someone else's rights. No one is forcing anyone to shop at Costco's. If you don't like their terms you are free to go elsewhere.
You are assuming second class status to someone else's rights.

They (other patrons), of course, have the right to express discomfort at the sight of your weapon. But if their rights don't supersede yours, and vice versa, neither party should move. Yet, we advocate for our pro-2A brothers and sisters to cover up, leave, run from the discomfort of the ninny. Why, if there's a standstill of rights, do we insist on fleeing? How does that lead to victory, if we can be run off simply by people throwing a fit?

Company policy was an after the fact revelation to all parties involved. In the moment, it was not a factor.

If you're suggesting flight at the request of any name-tagged pay-rolled person, in order to save legal fees and the like, I can understand that. Businesses should be able to refuse service to potential patrons, at will, and suffer the economic consequences thereof (which is where advocacy groups can step in and cause fiscal pain, in a coordinated boycott or some other method...not that I've seen such suggested).

OBTW, they didn't begin the argument. Everyone should be able to state their own case, particularly when an argument is brought against them.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I'm assuming nothing of the sorts. Because as has been said many times, your right to carry ends when you step onto someone else's property. Their property, their rules. If you wish to make use of their property, then you agree to and follow their terms. If you can't do that then you are free to leave and go elsewhere. A representative of the company asked them to cover or leave. Regardless of the reason at that point their choice was to comply or leave. By your logic, we should be free to come to your place of residence and hold worship services. After all, we have a right to worship how we want. But that is not how it works. Just as you have the final say in how your property is used so does Costco. They are not infringing on anyone.

Uhm no. Costco policy has been known for many years. If the couple were so gung-ho to exercise their rights and support the cause then even a very slight bit of research ahead of time would have shown them what to expect.

You are right about one thing. If someone (non-employee) in a store complains to me while I'm carrying then meh, I'll shrug it off and continue on my way. They have a right to complain and I have a right to carry. Neither of us has any power to compel the other. An employee or representative of the store is a different matter.

They (the booted carriers) need to quit whining about how "mistreated" they were and go find somewhere else to shop. As I said before, no sympathy for anyone who supports a known anti org or company and then wants to complain when that anti org or company puts them out.
bignflnut wrote:
WY_Not wrote:I'm all for exercising one's rights but your rights do not override or negate someone else's rights. No one is forcing anyone to shop at Costco's. If you don't like their terms you are free to go elsewhere.
You are assuming second class status to someone else's rights.

They (other patrons), of course, have the right to express discomfort at the sight of your weapon. But if their rights don't supersede yours, and vice versa, neither party should move. Yet, we advocate for our pro-2A brothers and sisters to cover up, leave, run from the discomfort of the ninny. Why, if there's a standstill of rights, do we insist on fleeing? How does that lead to victory, if we can be run off simply by people throwing a fit?

Company policy was an after the fact revelation to all parties involved. In the moment, it was not a factor.

If you're suggesting flight at the request of any name-tagged pay-rolled person, in order to save legal fees and the like, I can understand that. Businesses should be able to refuse service to potential patrons, at will, and suffer the economic consequences thereof (which is where advocacy groups can step in and cause fiscal pain, in a coordinated boycott or some other method...not that I've seen such suggested).