ACLU statement on the SS ruling

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

ACLU statement on the SS ruling

Post by Bruenor »

comments from the ACLU's legislative council

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /98147914/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The thousands of Americans whose disability benefits are managed by someone else range from young people with depression and financial inexperience to older adults with Down syndrome needing help with a limited budget. But no data — none — show that these individuals have a propensity for violence in general or gun violence in particular.
The ACLU and 23 national disability groups did not oppose this rule because we want more guns in our community. This is about more than guns. Adding more innocent Americans to the National Instant Criminal Background database because of a mental disability is a disturbing trend — one that could be applied to voting, parenting or other rights dearer than gun ownership. We opposed it because it would do little to stem gun violence but do much to harm our civil rights.
Had to re-read that.. At first i thought they said they wanted more guns in our communities..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Re: ACLU statement on the SS ruling

Post by M-Quigley »

We opposed it because it would do little to stem gun violence but do much to harm our civil rights.
Actually this statement applies to many other anti gun laws as well, like "may issue."
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

is a disturbing trend — one that could be applied to voting, parenting or other rights dearer than gun ownership.
"other rights dearer than gun ownership" ??? Somehow, that doesn't sound quite right to my ears...but there's no need to explain why on a pro-2A forum like this.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

glocksmith wrote:
is a disturbing trend — one that could be applied to voting, parenting or other rights dearer than gun ownership.
"other rights dearer than gun ownership" ??? Somehow, that doesn't sound quite right to my ears...but there's no need to explain why on a pro-2A forum like this.
Steam control. I have to commend ACLU for recognizing that all rights are interconnected. It must have been painful for them.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

WestonDon wrote: I have to commend ACLU for recognizing that all rights are interconnected. It must have been painful for them.
You can't have one without the other. If no gun rights, then the other rights, no matter how "dear" will all disappear in short order. Just ask the nice folks living in North Korea.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!