woman shoots man scuffling with indiana officer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

woman shoots man scuffling with indiana officer

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.wlwt.com/article/police-witn ... er/8956707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although it's Indiana, it's not too far from Cincinnati.
According to the Ohio County Sheriff’s Office, the officer was responding to reports of a suspicious person in the area. Authorities said an off-duty conservation officer responded to the dispatcher’s reports, and made contact with the man, identified as Justin Holland, 32.

Officials said Holland resisted arrest, and a physical fight broke out between the pair.

“At some point, that officer began to lose that altercation with that person,” said Sgt. Stephen Wheeles with Indiana State Police. “It was at that time that a female who was nearby saw what was taking place and decided that she needed to take action and come to the assistance of that officer.”

Officials said the woman was at a nearby residence, and went to assist the officer. She fired one shot, striking Holland in the torso.

Several people tried to render first aid to Holland, and he was taken to Dearborn County Hospital for treatment. He was later pronounced dead.

“At this point, we want to stress that we don’t know what the cause of death is,” Wheeles said. “(We don’t know) whether the gunshot wound was the cause of death or if there was something else at play.”

It is unclear what kind of gun was used or if the woman had a concealed carry license.

State police said the conservation officer was injured, but his injuries are not life-threatening. He was taken to the hospital for treatment.

At this point, the woman has not been charged.

The incident remains under investigation.
As far as whether the woman had a had a concealed carry license or not, when my late brother had an Indiana permit, he told me it wasn't a "concealed carry" license, it was for either concealed or open carry, as Indiana at that time didn't have a general right to open carry a loaded handgun. There were exceptions however, like hunting, being on your own property, or property you were given permission to be on with a gun. I would hope defense of another would also be an exception, if she somehow doesn't have a license. As far as what type of gun, it seems like it was sufficient to stop the attack on the officer.
Brian D.

Re: woman shoots man scuffling with indiana officer

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah, being that the Indiana license is so easy and inexpensive to get, darn likely she has one. When first issued license is up for renewal, a lifetime is what, $150 there? That would be a bargain even for our most senior* forum members here, if Ohio had the same deal.

I think this took place out in the boonies, maybe that off duty Conservation officer was closer to the scene than any city, county, or State Patrol LE's at the time. Makes me wonder how far away any police backup for him might have been.

*Hi Stu and Carmen! :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Hello..
Funny investigation ? They should be pinning a medal on that lady..CHL or what ever.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Hello..
Funny investigation ? They should be pinning a medal on that lady..CHL or what ever.
Of course it is proper to investigate and find out the FACTS of what happened rather than rely on a TV news story.

Hopefully the facts back up the news story.

Ken
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Right out of the horses mouth. It was the State trooper that I believe....that is the way it went down....play it and decide yourself..
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

IANAL but AFAIK there is no legal obligation to protect another person...on-duty LEO or ordinary citizen...nor are there any legal protections (that I know of) for anyone doing so. In other words, I'm glad I'm not that woman, and I hope I never find myself in a situation like that.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Not so sure about LE...I think there might be something we must do as Lac..
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Not so sure about LE...I think there might be something we must do as Lac..
Well, in my estimation, she's now going to be subject to the same "use of force" scrutiny used on LEO's after a shooting. The jury will have to decide if shooting the suspect was justified ie. if it was either reasonable or excessive use of force for that particular situation. Was the officer's life in danger? Who knows. That will fall upon the jury to decide, I guess.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

glocksmith wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Not so sure about LE...I think there might be something we must do as Lac..
Well, in my estimation, she's now going to be subject to the same "use of force" scrutiny used on LEO's after a shooting. The jury will have to decide if shooting the suspect was justified ie. if it was either reasonable or excessive use of force for that particular situation. Was the officer's life in danger? Who knows. That will fall upon the jury to decide, I guess.
Or maybe did the officer say "shoot! shoot!" to her while he was losing the fight? If the facts line up with the story, props to her. I'd be awfully hesitant to do the same thing because of the entire book being thrown at me afterwards despite it being the right thing to do - sad but true. Hey that rhymes.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

A little history about the deceased.

http://www.wlwt.com/article/family-says ... ns/8961199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

As one of the most senior members.... :D

Called Sammy's vet Tuesday afternoon - my brain insisted that he was due for a rabies shot. Yup, NEXT February.... So I'm a little early....

I have two sisters, both born in March, and I can never remember which birthday goes with which sister. So, a blanket e-mail to both of them :) ....

In Illinois, this gal's action likely would get her a visit with the Prosecutor. Dunno about Indiana. I hope not....

I had a buddy who was a Conservation Officer of sorts. We used to kid him about the squirrel on his badge where you usually find an eagle. I'm sure it varies all over the map, but he used to enjoy folks telling him that he couldn't do that as he put on the cuffs.

Helping out is probably a good idea, but "patrolling" probably isn't. We had a guy on the old CompuServe "POLICE" net that couldn't wait to get old enough to buy a gun and "help the Police".... "Yikes" was the basic response.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם