accidentally shoots sister at restaurant

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gfrlaser

accidentally shoots sister at restaurant

Post by gfrlaser »

"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: accidentally shoots sister at restaurant

Post by pk47 »

What is she doing using a Versacarry inside a purse? The trigger is completely exposed on one side.

Failure on more than one level here. I wish someone had trained her.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If the picture in the story is the "holster" she was using... Sorry, that was not an accident. That was negligence.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Police said the 2-year-old unzipped the purse when the mom wasn't looking, unzipped the small compartment containing the gun and fired it.

His sister was hit in both legs.

“What they thought at the time was a bullet,” Washington said. “Medical staff was able to determine it was not a bullet, it was a machine-type screw.”

According to police, there's a plastic piece at the bottom of the holster the mother had, and a screw holds it in place.
2 zippers and a trigger pull
Who was watching this kid? I'm assuming there was a pre-teen/teen or another adult at hand.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Didn't this happen a month ago ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

WY_Not wrote:If the picture in the story is the "holster" she was using... Sorry, that was not an accident. That was negligence.
According to a reporter it's a picture of "the kind of holster the gun was in " https://twitter.com/TyishaWSB/status/83 ... 76/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk47 wrote:What is she doing using a Versacarry inside a purse? The trigger is completely exposed on one side.

I found an article about purse carry posted on Versacarry's site. The title is "A Purse Is No Place for a Gun" http://www.versacarry.com/gun-news/a-pu ... for-a-gun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I'll point out it's basically a republishing of an article from Bloomberg-funded The Trace (https://www.thetrace.org/2015/10/concea ... accidents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) although they did go to the extra effort of adding their logo to someone else's picture.
carmen fovozzo wrote:Didn't this happen a month ago ?
Maybe a similar incident, but no this happened 2 days ago. http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/poli ... CfmI38FZJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
WY_Not wrote:If the picture in the story is the "holster" she was using... Sorry, that was not an accident. That was negligence.
According to a reporter it's a picture of "the kind of holster the gun was in " https://twitter.com/TyishaWSB/status/83 ... 76/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk47 wrote:What is she doing using a Versacarry inside a purse? The trigger is completely exposed on one side.

I found an article about purse carry posted on Versacarry's site. The title is "A Purse Is No Place for a Gun" http://www.versacarry.com/gun-news/a-pu ... for-a-gun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I'll point out it's basically a republishing of an article from Bloomberg-funded The Trace (https://www.thetrace.org/2015/10/concea ... accidents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) although they did go to the extra effort of adding their logo to someone else's picture.
carmen fovozzo wrote:Didn't this happen a month ago ?
Maybe a similar incident, but no this happened 2 days ago. http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/poli ... CfmI38FZJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I'm not an advocate for purse carry either, the versacarry article has some inaccuracies. For example,
Whether it’s a concealed-carry model or an everyday purse, the clutter that inevitably accumulates inside a handbag makes it a less than hospitable environment for a deadly weapon. “Your purse attracts junk like nails to a magnet,” Alicia Rockmore, the co-founder of Get Buttoned Up, a blog about organizing, wrote earlier this year. “No matter how much we try, no matter which purse we buy, our stuff seems to overtake the purse.” Can’t ever find your keys? You may not fare much better fishing out your Baby Glock.
My wife has a concealed carry purse where the gun holster is held in a good holster inside a special compartment in a special part of the of the purse, accessed from the side, not the top. You can throw all the crap you want in the top of the holster, none of it contacts the gun, nor do you have to fish around stuff to draw the gun.
Another problem with keeping a gun in any sort of purse is that women don’t delicately carry their bags and gingerly set them down. They swing them from their arms, balance them on hips (to look for those sunglasses), fling them down. That means there’s always the possibility of accidents. “The purse could swing around and hit a wall or some other piece of hard material and go off,” Mike Weisser, author of the blog Mike the Gun Guy, tells The Trace. “The purse could be dropped and the gun might go off.”
Seriously? The only guns this might apply to are very poorly designed ones, like some badly designed cheap handguns from poor quality manufacturers. The guns mentioned in the next paragraph are just such examples. A well made modern design handgun isn't going to just go off from being in a properly designed holster when a purse is dropped.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Seriously? The only guns this might apply to are very poorly designed ones, like some badly designed cheap handguns from poor quality manufacturers. The guns mentioned in the next paragraph are just such examples. A well made modern design handgun isn't going to just go off from being in a properly designed holster when a purse is dropped.
Using the same line of logic in the article on the person carry could be just as bad. I have banged my carry gun against walls and doors over the years. But then again I carry a quality gun and a real holster.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I'm not defending the article, in fact I was criticizing their use of an article from The Trace. However I'll observe that if someone were to purse carry, doing so with a holster from a company whose website features the article "A Purse Is No Place for a Gun" would probably not be the wisest choice.