Rape charge filed in OSU student's murder

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

Rape charge filed in OSU student's murder

Post by techguy85 »

This story gets more sad as the days go by. Prayers for her family and friends.
Borrowing from one of my favorite bloggers, Law Dog, when he wrote about a similar situation:
In a just and sane world, Reagan Tokes would have been told from early girl-hood that she was expected to defend herself from unlawful force.

In a just and sane world, Reagan Tokes would have been taught not to fear firearms, but to accept them as tools for her defence.

In a just and sane world, Reagan Tokes would have grown up in a culture that supported her right to self-defence and a culture that promoted such.

In a just and sane world, Reagan Tokes would have been able to pick the firearm that best suited her without fear of arrest or sanction; and she would
have been able to carry said firearm where and whenever she felt the need without some snot-nosed sanctimonious busybody drenching their knickers over
that simple act.

In a just and sane world, Reagan Tokes would have been supported by state and Federal governments that would have allowed, abetted and encouraged her
training with firearms.

In a just and sane world, when Brian Golsby tried to kidnap her as she walked to her vehicle from work, Reagan Tokes would have produced a handgun
and centre-punched his rotten heart out through his spineless back.

Brian Golsby is the rapist and murderer of Reagan Tokes.

The State and Federal Governments who consistently pass stupid and illogical firearms laws; the Brady Bunch who continue to parrot the foul and malicious
lie that "Only the military and police need guns"; Hollywood's sanctimonious assertation that "Violence is never the answer", "Guns are a red-neck thing",
and "Women will only get hurt by guns"; not to mention societies acceptance of the Cult of Victimhood to the point where said Cult is a gods-be-damned
State Religion -- each and every one of these is an unindicted co-conspirator to the crimes that took this young ladies life.
And I hope the lot of you roast in hell for it.
http://nbc4i.com/2017/02/12/rape-charge ... u-student/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Rape charge filed in OSU student's murder

Post by Chuck »

Hear, hear!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

In a just and sane world, this serial rapist would never have gotten out of prison in the first place.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I was talking about this case with someone this weekend, who said "Well you don't know that if she had taken precautions or had a weapon that she would've survived." My reply was "At least she might've had a chance, like someone I know who was in the exact same situation once. She had the mindset, the attitude, and the means to fight back effectively, and she prevailed. I think if people are making other people feel guilty about self protection, they are enabling people to be victims. :(
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Anybody deserves a fighting chance
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Chuck wrote:Anybody deserves a fighting chance
If I am going down, I would prefer to have the chance to fight. Sometimes, there is nothing you can do - you just drew the wrong card, but there's no point in increasing the number of those cards in the deck.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
Chuck wrote:Anybody deserves a fighting chance
If I am going down, I would prefer to have the chance to fight. Sometimes, there is nothing you can do - you just drew the wrong card, but there's no point in increasing the number of those cards in the deck.
I once read somewhere a long time back that although the chances of ever being a victim of a serious violent crime was generally, the odds for the civilians who resisted with a firearm statistically were like 4 to 1 in favor of the armed citizen, even if the criminal has a weapon as well. I am unable to find that source at the moment, but I did find this.

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#crime" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[23] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[24]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun “for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere.” This amounted to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This excludes all “military service, police work, or work as a security guard.”[25]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[26]

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:

34% had been “scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim.”
40% had decided not to commit a crime because they “knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun.”
69% personally knew other criminals who had been “scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim.”[27]

Of those 34 perfect of criminals shot at, wounded, although the woman I mentioned earlier didn't capture her attacker, the police stated that him getting wounded was the main factor in his capture, as he was a suspect in a number of previous sexual assaults. The fact that she had a gun, even though it was only a small pocket size gun, not only protected her, but perhaps other potential future victims as well.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

https://www.gunowners.org/wv26.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes, "Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."
emphasis mine
JLE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JEaton wrote:https://www.gunowners.org/wv26.htm
First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes, "Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."
emphasis mine
JLE
So, resisting is bad *unless* you resist with an effective weapon - you know, like a *gun*!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Those are even better stat's than what I've previously heard. And yet all you usually hear from so called "rape experts" (including ones that are LEO's and carry a gun themselves) for women is not to carry a gun. The main two reasons allegedly are

1: the attacker will just take it away from you and use it against you. :roll: or
2: A gun or knife is a device, and in real life attacks you don't have time to get to and use a device to defend yourself. While this might be true in some circumstances, particularly if you are caught unaware, and don't carry the gun on body, there's no law that says you can't use open hand techniques or another device that is on your body to start with, and then go to the gun.

The same so called violence expert however then said it was a good idea to carry mace, or pepper spray, stun guns, or other "devices". :?:

I've even heard one so called "rape expert" tell women, in relation to using a gun or knife to defend themselves with, to ask the question to them about whether they could live with themselves if they used a deadly weapon to defend themselves with and the attacker died, and that perhaps it would be better to just try to survive the attack and be a good witness for the police. :( This is the kind of crap that used to be taught in college. I guess I should've spoken up but being the only guy in the class I was hoping one of the women would've said something, but no one did. I later found out they were too afraid it would reflect in their class grade, even though it was just a lecture from an outside speaker and not part of the grade anyway. :(