Enters a Police Station Armed, Masked, and Wearing Armor

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

robbo

Enters a Police Station Armed, Masked, and Wearing Armor

Post by robbo »

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...6 ... /97544076/

Source:
The Detroit Free Press/USA Today
John Wisely , Detroit Free Press Published 1:18 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2017 | Updated 23 hours ago
Gun advocates arrested carrying rifle into Dearborn police station
High Power

Re: Enters a Police Station Armed, Masked, and Wearing Armor

Post by High Power »

The link didn't work. Got another?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

http://fox6now.com/2017/02/07/open-carr ... backfires/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/02/0 ... os-ensues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Appearance goes a long way to how you and your message is perceived.

I have walked around downtown Columbus, open carrying, dozens of times. No issues at all, no one questioned what I was doing, and no MWAG visits from local police. Of course, I was not trying to appear "tacti-cool" either. I was dressed in everyday attire, and had a pleasant and upbeat demeanor when talking to people.

Pushing your demonstration that far past a point of social acceptance is not as likely to have a positive influence on people. We, as advocates, need to understand where that line is, and then step over it just enough to have positive engagement - thus moving the line out a bit further. It is delicate at times, and people that run headlong across the line into the "other camp" such as these guys did eventually do more damage to the cause than good. (Though I doubt benefiting everyone's right to carry was the furthest thing from their mind, considering their boyish egos seem to be quite large.)
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Would be nice to have a well worded statement of purpose from the individual, to attempt to comprehend his point.

Could we allow this under the rubric of free speech? Protest?
What if all the weapons were found to be devoid of ammunition?

From the mlive article:
The men ultimately surrendered and were arrested.

Police seized: a loaded AP-14 firearm and a rifle magazine containing 47 rounds; a loaded Glock 19 handgun with four additional magazines; body armor and ballistic vests; a mask; a gun belt and several pieces of camera equipment.

Also recovered was an AR-15 rifle along with a AK-47 style rifle.

There is no state law specifically stating that citizens can open carry firearms but there is no state law that expressly prohibits it. Therefore, this has been interpreted to mean that open carry is allowed in this state -- with a few exceptions.

"Like it or not, exercising your rights is not black and white," Lambert said. "How you act and portray yourself is a big part of advocacy. I believe these gentlemen failed in this regard."
So are we allowed to be offended that these two didn't actually break any law, yet are being charged with multiple offenses, having had their property seized (understanding that a warrant was issued for the car search)?

"Interesting" case. What outcome do we in the 2A community desire? Who will come to the legal defense of these men's Rights?

wendellcrain

Post by wendellcrain »

I would like to know what an "AP-14" rifle is?

Granted, they did not break any laws. But did they really expect it was going to end well?
robbo

Post by robbo »

Thank you guys for tracking down the stories...heres the original my apologies..
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /97544076/

dang it...maybe this post saved correctly this time around...
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

wendellcrain wrote:...Granted, they did not break any laws...
No firearm laws, maybe...but that's not what they were charged with.
Baker is charged with breaching the peace, failure to cooperate with police and masking his identity by obscuring his face when he walked into the station. He has not been arraigned on the charges, which are misdemeanors.

Vreeland is charged with breaching the peace, obstructing police and failure to cooperate. Both men are free on $1,500 bond while they await arraignment on the charges.
MyWifeSaidYes
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

robbo wrote:Thank you guys for tracking down the stories...heres the original my apologies..
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /97544076/

"Put it on the ground or you are dead," one of the officers screams in the video that was live-streamed on the Internet via cell phones by Baker and Vreeland as the confrontation unfolded. "I will shoot you. I will put a round in you. What the hell is the matter with you?"

Legal or not seems like a great way to get killed to prove a point... It did get them noticed however...
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
robbo

Post by robbo »

Social Media...everyone wants to be famous or prove some type of point online. Im sure if one of those guys even attempted to raise a gun, theyre dead men. They need to be committed to some type of psychiatric facility and should be put on some type of watch list. I'm sure this wont be the last time these guys are heard of in the news.
High Power

Post by High Power »

Stryker74 wrote:Appearance goes a long way to how you and your message is perceived.

I have walked around downtown Columbus, open carrying, dozens of times. No issues at all, no one questioned what I was doing, and no MWAG visits from local police. Of course, I was not trying to appear "tacti-cool" either. I was dressed in everyday attire, and had a pleasant and upbeat demeanor when talking to people.

Pushing your demonstration that far past a point of social acceptance is not as likely to have a positive influence on people. We, as advocates, need to understand where that line is, and then step over it just enough to have positive engagement - thus moving the line out a bit further. It is delicate at times, and people that run headlong across the line into the "other camp" such as these guys did eventually do more damage to the cause than good. (Though I doubt benefiting everyone's right to carry was the furthest thing from their mind, considering their boyish egos seem to be quite large.)
Agreed. I don't OC very much but when I do I am also dressed rather conservatively. I also have short hair and probably look a plain clothes LEO to someone who doesn't know me.

Nevertheless, anyone that OCs should act as if they are an "ambassador" for pro-gunners. If I were to represent the US as an ambassador to a foreign country I would make darn sure that I acted in a manner that put the US in the best possible light.

Not only does having an "ambassador" mindset helps all gun owners it helps to keep the one OCing out of trouble.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

is it legal to enter a police station in MI armed?

nevermind... open carry is the key....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
docachna

Post by docachna »

They may or may not have technically been acting within the law.

That said, what they did was unnecessarily provocative and unproductive. At the end of the day, it will not positively promote any facet of the RKBA movement. SEE "push that line out just a bit", or similar, above............

YMMV
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
High Power

Post by High Power »

Even though I think their actions were extremely foolish; it would be kind of funny if they were acquitted.

After all, the video prior to entering the police station shows that they didn't intend to commit any harm or cause a panic. That may not be an excuse for violating a law but takes out any factor involving a malicious motive that the prosecution would use.