Smoke Weed ? - NO GUNS FOR YOU

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

robbo

Smoke Weed ? - NO GUNS FOR YOU

Post by robbo »

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/01/2 ... -buy-guns/

Source:
https://bearingarms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imcrazy

Re: Smoke Weed ? - NO GUNS FOR YOU

Post by Imcrazy »

Kinda messed up.... Smoking weed is certainly no worse than drinking beer...
-Aaron
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yes, but beer and other alcoholic beverages are not Schedule 1 drugs.

I'm not a fan of any 'drug' use (except caffeine :wink: ), but I DO think that marijuana should NOT be classified as Schedule 1.

Treat it like alcohol...no guns while impaired.
MyWifeSaidYes
robbo

Post by robbo »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Yes, but beer and other alcoholic beverages are not Schedule 1 drugs.
I'm not a fan of any 'drug' use (except caffeine :wink: ), but I DO think that marijuana should NOT be classified as Schedule 1.
I agree ... I've never read a story about someone beating up their spouse, crashing cars, or being a nuisance because of marijuana.
It is no where near what other sched 1 drugs do to the mind.... heroin, lsd, mushrooms
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Yes, but beer and other alcoholic beverages are not Schedule 1 drugs.

I concur but, with the caveat that if I have a glass of wine with dinner, I'm not putting my guns away...
-Aaron
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Imcrazy wrote:

I concur but, with the caveat that if I have a glass of wine with dinner, I'm not putting my guns away...
One glass of wine you would not be impaired unless you are a real light weight. :wink: :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

steves 50de wrote:
Imcrazy wrote:

One glass of wine you would not be impaired unless you are a real light weight. :wink: :lol:
Of course, since part of the point of marijuana is to "get high", and thus be impaired, presumably one should put the guns away when taking part.

On a related note: have they come up with a standard for impairment for pot? The equivalent of a breathalyzer or other roadside test that can gauge how much is in your system and whether that constitutes impairment?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JustaShooter wrote:On a related note: have they come up with a standard for impairment for pot? The equivalent of a breathalyzer or other roadside test that can gauge how much is in your system and whether that constitutes impairment?
Frankly, I'd rather they didn't come up with some presumptive measurement. I'd prefer that law enforcement and prosecutors bear the burden of demonstrating the indicia of impairment rather than simply showing some arbitrary (and non-refutable) number. However, I have no doubt that one will someday/somehow be developed (by which I mean, arbitrarily generated out of thin air and unencumbered by substantive science).

Nevertheless, unlike alcohol, THC remains in the system far longer than its intoxicating effects last. As such, to my understanding, there is presently no accurate way to measure the subjective impact of THC on a user relative to the level present in the body. Moreover, the relative effects on an individual user can vary far more than found alcohol.

As a side note, the NHTSA conducted a study in 2015 which found "no significant increased crash risk attributable to cannabis after controlling for drivers’ age, gender, race, and presence of alcohol." DOT HS 812 117

To allay any confusion on the topic - I personally do not smoke marijuana (or use any other illicit drug) and never have. However, I frankly don't care if someone else chooses to and don't believe that choice should supersede constitutional rights.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

sodbuster95 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:On a related note: have they come up with a standard for impairment for pot? The equivalent of a breathalyzer or other roadside test that can gauge how much is in your system and whether that constitutes impairment?
Frankly, I'd rather they didn't come up with some presumptive measurement...
Too late:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (A)(1)(j)(vii)
The person has a concentration of marihuana in the person's urine of at least ten nanograms of marihuana per milliliter of the person's urine or has a concentration of marihuana in the person's whole blood or blood serum or plasma of at least two nanograms of marihuana per milliliter of the person's whole blood or blood serum or plasma.
and http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (A)(1)(j)(viii)(II)
As measured by gas chromatography mass spectrometry, the person has a concentration of marihuana metabolite in the person's urine of at least thirty-five nanograms of marihuana metabolite per milliliter of the person's urine or has a concentration of marihuana metabolite in the person's whole blood or blood serum or plasma of at least fifty nanograms of marihuana metabolite per milliliter of the person's whole blood or blood serum or plasma.
MyWifeSaidYes
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:
Frankly, I'd rather they didn't come up with some presumptive measurement...
Too late:
Well, so much for that. I've never had a client with that as an issue, so I was apparently unaware.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

robbo wrote:
I agree ... I've never read a story about someone beating up their spouse, crashing cars, or being a nuisance because of marijuana.
It is no where near what other sched 1 drugs do to the mind.... heroin, lsd, mushrooms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/ While NORML and pro marijuana groups claim this, the facts say different. It impairs in different ways than alcohol but it impairs. As to accidents, about a year ago a school bus in Perry Township was sitting in the turn lane waiting to make a left turn when a marijuana impaired driver exercised poor lane control and slammed into the bus without touching the brakes. Reaction time is increased. Basically THC impairment results in slower driving and poor lane control. Often others are forced to choose between risky passing of a very slow, inconsistent driver and being late as well as lane violation accidents.

It also appears to multiply the effects of alcohol on driving impairment, meaning a drunks who are also high are much more dangerous but only alcohol gets the blame.

It is pretty well established that marijuana use in teenage years lowers IQ as well. Other symptoms such as paranoia with chronic use cause many of the problems you claim to have never heard of even though they may not be high at the time. Ask any cop about stoners and various domestic calls. I worked at a teen rehab facility and mentor adult alcoholics and addicts...saying the marijuana use is not that bad is really sticking your head in the sand and enabling addicts.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170203/ ... stolen-car Case in point...kid was stoned, crashed his car and decided to claim it was stolen. No alcohol involved.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

robbo wrote:

I've known lots of people who are quite the "nuisance" when under the influence of pot.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

concreteguy wrote:
robbo wrote:

I've known lots of people who are quite the "nuisance" when under the influence of pot.
Had a guy that was almost literally stoned out of his mind on pot decide I was a narc and tried to kick my butt. Couple of his friends had to haul him away. I've also seen several other instances of people who got aggressive when stoned. That said, I agree that it isn't any worse than alcohol, and should be treated the same and should not be Schedule 1.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!