ND at Heath police station

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wendellcrain

ND at Heath police station

Post by wendellcrain »

Apparently a Heath police officer had a negligent discharge (or accidental discharge, depending on your point-of-view) Wednesday 25 January at the station.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/new ... /97067444/
JediSkipdogg

Re: ND at Heath police station

Post by JediSkipdogg »

It was a trooper and here's more...

http://www.10tv.com/article/ohio-state- ... l-shooting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A spokesperson said the trooper was in the process of holstering the weapon when the gun fired striking the trooper in the leg.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

He Glocked himself?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Javelin Man wrote:He Glocked himself?
If so, there's a fix for that: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gadg ... l-device#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Face

Post by Face »

What is OSP's current service weapon? I was thinking Sig for some reason.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Face wrote:What is OSP's current service weapon? I was thinking Sig for some reason.
I couldn't remember either, been meaning to look it up.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Face wrote:What is OSP's current service weapon? I was thinking Sig for some reason.
According to this it's the Sig P226
https://www.dakotaammo.net/top-3-sig-sauer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat100005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some other cites saying the same thing, apparently in .40 cal.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for looking that up, DTOM. It's really easy to speculate on how this might have happened. But if I made one of those charts with Yes/No question boxes and arrows pointing to the next box depending on response, they'd all eventually end up in the same answer box at the bottom.

Unless this was somehow a rarer-than-hen's-teeth unforeseeable mechanical failure of the firearm. I never draw those boxes and arrows on my charts, haven't needed them much ever.

********************************************************************************
docachna

Post by docachna »

Likely will be found to be a textbook example of TDDTSL (Too D***ed Dumb To Still Live).

:roll:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

LEO's, I think, should be exempt, but that's another story.

And a story I think I've posted before:

A buddy of mine, now deceased, usually left his gun in the Captain's office. Many of the "soft clothes" types did essentially the same thing.

One afternoon, he was asked to attend a meeting in Judge's Chambers, which shared the building with the PD. A woman was there questioning a Judge's decision about her son. He came in more or less of the street (soft clothes) and sat down.

Suddenly, the woman decided to really contest the issue, and pulls a gun out of her purse and starts firing. Turned out that my friend was the only LEO in the room who was armed. He stopped the assault. She left in a body bag.

The next day, metal detectors went up all over the courthouse....

Not that I'm in favor of CPZ's, but disarming LEO's is a bad idea.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

SMMAssociates wrote:LEO's, I think, should be exempt, but that's another story.
I don;t think he removed his gun because it was a police station. Most likely he had an OVI and was using their intoxilyzer machine. General rule of thumb across the country is whenever you deal with a prison in a secure environment, you remove your firearm and securely store it. My department has boxes right outside of our holding area for that. If something happens in the holding area, it's hand to hand or asp to hand. It minimizes further risk if they happen to actually get the upper hand for a second.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
I don;t think he removed his gun because it was a police station.
According to the story
A spokesperson said the trooper was in the process of holstering the weapon when the gun fired striking the trooper in the leg.
They added it is part of their procedures for a trooper to secure their weapons when at the station.
Anyone know if that's a common procedure?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
I don;t think he removed his gun because it was a police station. Most likely he had an OVI and was using their intoxilyzer machine. General rule of thumb across the country is whenever you deal with a prison in a secure environment, you remove your firearm and securely store it. My department has boxes right outside of our holding area for that. If something happens in the holding area, it's hand to hand or asp to hand. It minimizes further risk if they happen to actually get the upper hand for a second.
Question (a genuine one) that I always had:

While I understand the above mentality, my worry has always been the following - what if the suspect managed to sneak in a contact weapon or even a firearm, despite intake procedures?

There's a very recent CCTV documentation of just this scenario playing out in a (I want to say) Eastern European police station. It didn't end well for the three officers who were in the room with the suspect.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

TSiWRX wrote:
Question (a genuine one) that I always had:

While I understand the above mentality, my worry has always been the following - what if the suspect managed to sneak in a contact weapon or even a firearm, despite intake procedures?

There's a very recent CCTV documentation of just this scenario playing out in a (I want to say) Eastern European police station. It didn't end well for the three officers who were in the room with the suspect.
I do believe that's happened here in the U.S. too, at least once or twice. Don't remember details but recall seeing video.

Far as the ND's go, what's the common denominator for every one that's ever taken place? The firearm was being HANDLED at the time. Letting the cop hang onto his gun during the OVI processing, or interrogation about whatever crimes they've got someone detained over, etc. is better than having them unload and throw it in a box in my opinion. LESS HANDLING.

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I just looked something up and I wonder if it has to do with guidelines from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections. Guideline 15 to maintain a THF (an interview room is a THF in Ohio) states that precaution must be taken to prohibit arrestees' access to weapons or items that could be used as a weapon. Sure, we can debate the whole pen or telephone cord debate, but the DRC is going to look at what does a place do about firearms. Remember, the DRC oversees jails, and a THF is simply a jail with a max hold of 6 hours (there are also 12 hour and 12 day jails allowed in Ohio.) So if one wants to maintain that certification to bring prisoners back to station, they have to abide by those guidelines/rules. I know we almost lost ours once due to not maintaining a prisoner log (never knew we had to.) Kind of hard to arrest someone with no holding facility unless one takes them straight to jail all the time.