Another SWAT Raid, Another Flash-Bang Thrown At A Baby

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

There is a lot wrong here...the Keystone Kommandos wait 2 SECONDS from "knocking and announcing" to throwing a flash-bang GRENADE into a room with a toddler!! :shock: :(

January 16, 2017
The police state in America is so screwed up that it can’t even learn from such a disaster as that. “Officer safety” must return home at the end of his shift, and the war on drugs must go on. True to form for the police state, I missed that yet another flash bang was thrown at a baby in Indiana after the raid on baby Bou Bou. This time, at least the court had doubts and threw out the evidence collected in the raid. Fortunately, no one was harmed.

The Evansville (IN) Police Department has seen a drug bust go up in a cloud of flashbang smoke. A search warrant for drugs and weapons, based on an informant’s tip, was executed perfectly… if you’re the sort of person who believes it takes a dozen heavily-armed officers, a Lenco Bearcat, and two flashbangs to grab a suspect no one felt like arresting when he was outside alone taking out his trash. (via FourthAmendment.com)

The state appeals court decision [PDF] hinges on the deployment of a flashbang grenade into a room containing a toddler. Fortunately, in this case, the toddler was only frightened, rather than severely burned. But it was this tossed flashbang that ultimately undoes the PD’s case. The evidence is suppressed and the conviction reversed...
http://www.captainsjournal.com/2017/01/ ... at-a-baby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
High Power

Re: Another SWAT Raid, Another Flash-Bang Thrown At A Baby

Post by High Power »

That's why there should be body-cams on officers that CANNOT be turned off.

I also noticed that some body-cams have a narrow field of view. So some events are outside the field of view. They need to have a wider field of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvDWrIDrQnw
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

High Power wrote:That's why there should be body-cams on officers that CANNOT be turned off.

I also noticed that some body-cams have a narrow field of view. So some events are outside the field of view. They need to have a wider field of view.

I don't see how body cams wouldn't have changed this situation in the slightest. The SWAT team was deployed to do a drug bust and they are trained and expected to operate at "shock and awe" speed. That's what they used here. Unfortunately, there's a few problems with SWAT teams being deployed to peoples' houses:
1. It seems most times, they do these raids based on informants' information. In alot of cases, informants are misinformed, if not completely flat out lying.
2. Lack of proper investigative police work.
3. Wrong addresses - seriously, the rate this happens in beyond alarming.
4. Getting the evidence seems more important that the lives of those inside - even bystanders.

God forbid some informant in this neighborhood gives the police our address and they come in guns blazing. I leave an AR bedside and am almost always within 10 feet of some sort of gun in this house for a reason. Even if you yell police, lead may be heading their way - and I'll probably be the only one "at fault."
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ArmedAviator wrote:
High Power wrote:That's why there should be body-cams on officers that CANNOT be turned off.

I don't see how body cams wouldn't have changed this situation in the slightest. The SWAT team was deployed to do a drug bust and they are trained and expected to operate at "shock and awe" speed. That's what they used here. Unfortunately, there's a few problems with SWAT teams being deployed to peoples' houses:
1. It seems most times, they do these raids based on informants' information. In alot of cases, informants are misinformed, if not completely flat out lying.
4. Getting the evidence seems more important that the lives of those inside - even bystanders.

God forbid some informant in this neighborhood gives the police our address and they come in guns blazing. I leave an AR bedside and am almost always within 10 feet of some sort of gun in this house for a reason. Even if you yell police, lead may be heading their way - and I'll probably be the only one "at fault."
Well said and couldn't have said it better myself. I work in LE and I agree with your four points. I've seen these style events completed and really don't understand the dyer need to grab the person instantly at the cost of 12 or so guys sometimes paid overtime (if they are off to conduct these outside normal hours.) Have two to three guys stationed around the house in full tactical gear in reinforced beater cars/vans that are seized, and just box the idiot in when he leaves the house in a vehicle or take him down in the front yard. I think eventually the supreme court may weigh on these cases and but the brakes on them. After all, it seems like more and more are getting bad press than good press.

And yes, Ive seen houses surrounded for hours to find out the person isn't even inside. So much for accurate surveillance.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

ArmedAviator wrote:God forbid some informant in this neighborhood gives the police our address and they come in guns blazing. I leave an AR bedside and am almost always within 10 feet of some sort of gun in this house for a reason. Even if you yell police, lead may be heading their way - and I'll probably be the only one "at fault."
Well...you can't hear them yell "police!!" over the sound of your own gunfire...so IMHO fire away with your black tips :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
High Power

Post by High Power »

ArmedAviator wrote:

You are correct, body cams would not have altered the situation. However, it may have been easier for a Jury to see what happened. Go back and look at the video that I provided and skip ahead to 2:20.

The LEO is yelling at the suspect being arrested to not go for the LEO's gun and to stop resisting. The LEO did that on purpose in the hopes that anyone reviewing the audio would be convinced that the suspect was resisting and attempting to grab the LEOs firearm.

The video showed a completely different situation. The suspect was cooperating and the LEOs were beating him up without cause.

A scumbag attorney that I had problems with was following me down the street one day. To emphasize this; I was walking away from him and he was following me. His arm was outstretched as if he wanted to push me away even thought there was about 20 feet between us - with me walking away.

He kept following me and yelling "Stay away from me! Stay away from me!" He wanted to convince any witnesses that I was harassing him; which I wasn't.

Which brings me to my next point; maybe we civilians ought to have body-cams as well. Anyone have any good recommendations?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

ArmedAviator wrote:1. It seems most times, they do these raids based on informants' information. In alot of cases, informants are misinformed, if not completely flat out lying.
Sometimes, as in the case of Kathryn Johnston and the Atlanta PD, the "informant" is simply invented out of whole cloth.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:And yes, Ive seen houses surrounded for hours to find out the person isn't even inside. So much for accurate surveillance.
Well, that makes for a needlessly expensive biweekly payroll period when the crew is on OT. OUCH!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
High Power

Post by High Power »

deanimator wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:1. It seems most times, they do these raids based on informants' information. In alot of cases, informants are misinformed, if not completely flat out lying.
Sometimes, as in the case of Kathryn Johnston and the Atlanta PD, the "informant" is simply invented out of whole cloth.
Had that happen to me. The ex-monster-in-law (God rest her soul) told some LEOs that I was going to a court house, armed and had made death threats with the intention of carrying them out at the hearing.

None of that was true. She simply made it up to get me killed. I won't go into details but 3 LEOs testified at a deposition that the likelihood of me getting shot was very high.

I eventually won the lawsuit against the ex-monster-in-law because I had to appeal. The trial court Judge granted a summary dismissal despite the mountain of evidence and witnesses that I had against her. He didn't care about me or my life because the ex-monster-in-law was politically connected.

She decided to settle with me rather than to get her name dragged through the dirt and lose tons of money. She must have been told that the Appellate Court would have remanded the case back to the lower court and this time a Jury would hear the case and the Judge would not be able to do her any favors.

That's why I love body-cams. Had things turned out differently for me a body-cam would have been nice as I am not an aggressive person, try to be polite and cooperative with LEOs.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Typical police tactics......I got beat up when I said the police acted wrong in this Rice shooting, even though the shoot was justified....

I also got beat up on this forum in another incident with a arrest warrant being served at a home....I said why don't the police wait outside till morning when the BG comes out of the house to make the arrest...I was jumped on pretty hard back then ...Now it seems that some of these people that jumped on me about this tactic are now saying the same thing I said back then...

What has changed ? I haven't...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Sticking up for LE all the time is a bad tactic...IMO
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

What's changed? Video has been introduced.
Video helps verify where "benefit of the doubt" should be placed. The old "indisputable video evidence" deal.

The victim blaming and "it's the community's fault" excuses are receding.

The doubling down and pride of the blue line has been damaged by the cell phone videos, various internet channels and the debunking of the "few bad apples" excuse.

A higher standard is creeping forward, and the uniformed officials are disarmed in opposing it. Self serving excuses are being publicly rejected, because they're indefensible (like flash-banging infants/toddlers), and now exposed as disingenuous lies.
The secrecy is being revealed, the truth is winning out.

Even some of the loudest status quo cheerleaders on this forum have seen the writing on the digital wall.
Last edited by bignflnut on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
High Power

Post by High Power »

I have an uncle who is a real scum bag.

He told me about a murder that he witnessed in the Army in the 1950s. A white MP got in an argument with a black soldier. It was a racial argument. The MP killed the black soldier in cold blood with his 1911.

My uncle along with a few other white soldiers that saw the murder and lied for the MP. They said that the black soldier started it and attacked the MP. On this side of eternity the MP got away with murder.

Like I said my uncle is a scum bag and wouldn't tell the truth. So was everyone else.

A body cam, that couldn't be turned off or edited, would have been useful back in the 1950s. And it's useful today.