Prof calls police on armed officer wearing uniform in class

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Prof calls police on armed officer wearing uniform in cl

Post by WestonDon »

Mustang380gal wrote:Oh for pity's sake.
My nurse uniform is scrubs and a name badge. Nurses for grown ups have stethoscopes as part if their uniform. I stop places after work, wearing my uniform.

The sergeant wears a police uniform. Part of his police uniform includes a firearm. He isn't asking for special status; he's wearing a uniform. He just wanted to go to class like a responsible student.

I am not sure if you are jealous that he carried on campus, or as unreasonable as those that participated in France's Reign of Terror.

The man went to class wearing all of his uniform. Get over it.
I agree with this for two reasons.

1) If shots ring out from the hallway everybody else in the classroom, including the professor, are going to look to the uniformed cop in the room to protect them.

2) Given that several uniformed cops have been assassinated recently just for being cops I'd say it's unreasonable to require a cop in uniform to be disarmed.

Just because it is also unreasonable to require ordinary students to be disarmed does not change number two.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

maybe the other student and teacher reasoned what he was doing, was unethical in the context of the law ?

http://2016bulletin.loyno.edu/undergrad ... #phil-w244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PHIL U244 Law and Morality 3 crs.

Knowledge-Values Courses: Philosophy II: Knowledge and Morality

This course presents and analyzes a number of frameworks for conducting ethical reasoning in the context of the law. Among the questions it studies are: how should we conceive of the relationship between moral principles and legal norms? does the law command our allegiance and respect from a moral point of view? how should moral principles and moral argument inform actual legislation? Relevant moral frameworks for addressing these questions include, but are not limited to, natural law theory, legal realism, legal positivism, critical legal theory and feminist legal theory.
it's not like it was a class on basket weaving.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

So, do I think I should be able to carry my gun wherever/ whenever? Yes

Is it so? No

Does that mean a LEO shouldn't be able to carry whenever/wherever? No

More Guns = Less Crime.

Simple,really. Well, simple in the real world. Armed LEOs off-duty are a generally good thing.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Mr. Glock wrote:So, do I think I should be able to carry my gun wherever/ whenever? Yes
Is it so? No. Does that mean a LEO shouldn't be able to carry whenever/wherever? No
More Guns = Less Crime. Simple,really. Well, simple in the real world. Armed LEOs off-duty are a generally good thing.
The problem is...this state of affairs also says loud and clear "Armed LEO trustworthy and good....Armed citizen untrustworthy and bad".

No matter how you slice it up, the implication here is that an LEO is somehow more qualified and has better judgment than the rest of us...while we ordinary citizens are unsafe and a threat. No one here actually believes that...well maybe one :roll: (see above thread).
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

glocksmith wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:So, do I think I should be able to carry my gun wherever/ whenever? Yes
Is it so? No. Does that mean a LEO shouldn't be able to carry whenever/wherever? No
More Guns = Less Crime. Simple,really. Well, simple in the real world. Armed LEOs off-duty are a generally good thing.
The problem is...this state of affairs also says loud and clear "Armed LEO trustworthy and good....Armed citizen untrustworthy and bad".

No matter how you slice it up, the implication here is that an LEO is somehow more qualified and has better judgment than the rest of us...while we ordinary citizens are unsafe and a threat. No one here actually believes that...well maybe one :roll: (see above thread).
In your mind, maybe. Not necessarily in the minds of average, non-gun using people. When I talk to people about carrying, they ask if it is legal, then usually say "That's cool!" No one I have talked to has questioned the ability or judgment of non-LEO, and some have said that they are not so sure about guns, but are thinking they may need to be. Also, I think most people who see a police officer in uniform expect to see a firearm.

So what does the bolded part mean?
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

WestonDon wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:Oh for pity's sake.
My nurse uniform is scrubs and a name badge. Nurses for grown ups have stethoscopes as part if their uniform. I stop places after work, wearing my uniform.

The sergeant wears a police uniform. Part of his police uniform includes a firearm. He isn't asking for special status; he's wearing a uniform. He just wanted to go to class like a responsible student.

I am not sure if you are jealous that he carried on campus, or as unreasonable as those that participated in France's Reign of Terror.

The man went to class wearing all of his uniform. Get over it.

1) If shots ring out from the hallway everybody else in the classroom, including the professor, are going to look to the uniformed cop in the room to protect them.

2) Given that several uniformed cops have been assassinated recently just for being cops I'd say it's unreasonable to require a cop in uniform to be disarmed.

Just because it is also unreasonable to require ordinary students to be disarmed does not change number two.
You're making the case that a uniform carries special rights...careful there...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

curmudgeon3 wrote:According to hearsay, some Police Depts./communities consider their Officers to be "on duty" 24/7.
A) Are they paid accordingly?
B) Why ever take "shifts"?
C) How exhausting... or... they're entirely lazy (don't get a lot done in a 24hr period)!
D) I pay them to sleep or "enjoy the company of" their wives? I might protest such activities on the clock.
E) Do they never utilize alcohol?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

I'll bet you could get some firm replies if you ran those questions by Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

bignflnut wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:According to hearsay, some Police Depts./communities consider their Officers to be "on duty" 24/7.
A) Are they paid accordingly?
B) Why ever take "shifts"?
C) How exhausting... or... they're entirely lazy (don't get a lot done in a 24hr period)!
D) I pay them to sleep or "enjoy the company of" their wives? I might protest such activities on the clock.
E) Do they never utilize alcohol?
I'd substitute "on duty" with "on call". This is how my brother's department provides 24/7 coverage for their small town with only three officers.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

glocksmith wrote:

You assume much from a plain and simple statement.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Mr. Glock wrote:
glocksmith wrote:

You assume much from a plain and simple statement.
Only thing is...I wasn't talking about you or your post. Who's doing the assuming now?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

glocksmith wrote:

I couldn't find the thread you were referring to.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

bignflnut wrote:
WestonDon wrote:

You're making the case that a uniform carries special rights...careful there...
That is certainly not my intent. My point is that while it is wrong to grant special rights to group X and not to group Y, my preferred approach is to campaign to obtain the same rights for group Y. Not to strip group X of whatever rights they may be granted.

As a member of a gun rights organization I think it is counterproductive to publicly call for limiting the rights of anyone. I would rather aspire to elevating everyone else to the "special rights" status until they are no longer special.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WestonDon wrote:My point is that while it is wrong to grant special rights to group X and not to group Y, my preferred approach is to campaign to obtain the same rights for group Y. Not to strip group X of whatever rights they may be granted.
This. This right here.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

JustaShooter wrote:
WestonDon wrote:My point is that while it is wrong to grant special rights to group X and not to group Y, my preferred approach is to campaign to obtain the same rights for group Y. Not to strip group X of whatever rights they may be granted.
This. This right here.
Agreed.
The group that has been given the special rights, however, disagrees on a formal / leadership level, advocating that they're special and should have special rights. That assertion is to be challenged.