75 years ago

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

75 years ago

Post by Gramps »

If my math and history is right 75 years ago today our Navy was attacked at Pearl Harbor.
Please remember the 2000+ Sailors and civilians who lost their lives that day many years ago.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
kSetuni

Re: 75 years ago

Post by kSetuni »

Forever thankful. Never forgotten. Always honored.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

1,177 Sailors and Marines are entombed in the sunken Battleship Arizona. ps://www.google.com/search?q=arizona+memoria ... CWIQsAQIJQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
High Power

Post by High Power »

Japan says Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will not apologize for his country’s 1941 attack on United States forces when he visits Pearl Harbor, Hawaii later this month.
This week, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced plans to return to the Japanese government almost 4,000 hectares of land in Okinawa used for military training.
Full story at: http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/ja ... 25155.html
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Don't worry, I'm sure our current President will apologize to the japanese for winning.
High Power

Post by High Power »

walnut red wrote:Don't worry, I'm sure our current President will apologize to the japanese for winning.
Yes and he will bow as low as he can go to the Japanese Prime Minister. I do realize that bowing in Japan is a form of greeting just like we would shake hands here. However, a friend, who spent quite a bit of time in Japan told me that when you bow lower than the person that you are greeting, you are acknowledging their superiority over you.

BHO is supposed to be a head of state and I don't have a problem with him bowing as a form of greeting to a Japanese head of state but he doesn't have to acknowledge their superiority over the USA. As we also all know he will bow to everyone else but when he met the Queen of England, he never bowed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLuLEfVNow

My humble apologies to the OP for the thread drift.
ImageImageImageImageImage
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

I had a friend years ago who was part of the convoy that delivered one of the A-bombs that hit Japan.

One boat was torpedoed and went down while his boat and crew, along with the rest of the convoy had to stay the course without so much as a distress signal or slow down.

Wish I could remember all the details and the name of the movie they made about his mission.. He was solemn and teary when he told us his story..

All I can say is "Thank you Bernie!" and to all who served then, now, before, all servicemen and women in between and all who will defend our GREAT nation in the future..
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Gramps wrote:I had a friend years ago who was part of the convoy that delivered one of the A-bombs that hit Japan.

One boat was torpedoed and went down while his boat and crew, along with the rest of the convoy had to stay the course without so much as a distress signal or slow down.

Wish I could remember all the details and the name of the movie they made about his mission.. He was solemn and teary when he told us his story..

All I can say is "Thank you Bernie!" and to all who served then, now, before, all servicemen and women in between and all who will defend our GREAT nation in the future..
If you're referring to the movie in the early nineties it was called Mission of the Shark about the USS Indianapolis. I've seen this one, good movie. There's also supposedly some new movie called the USS Indianapolis Men of Courage (2106) with Nickolas Cage, haven't seen this one.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Not sure what the name was but after I thought for a while it seems like it was a documentary. I may be wrong, this was at least 10 years ago and maybe 15 or more.
I may call a couple of the old guys left who hung around together, they may remember.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A US dollar earned in 1941 is now worth almost 6 cents!

http://www.saving.org/inflation/inflati ... &year=1941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

bignflnut wrote:A US dollar earned in 1941 is now worth almost 6 cents!

http://www.saving.org/inflation/inflati ... &year=1941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wish I had a few thousand of those good ole 1941 dollars at what they were worth then!

Early 70's had 30 cent per gas-5 loafs of bread for a buck-$100 per month rent with water, lights and heat (small guy pad) on a $2 per hour job and still had a car, beer, cigarettes and really cool clothes and enough left to entertain lady friends :D
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Gramps wrote:
bignflnut wrote:A US dollar earned in 1941 is now worth almost 6 cents!

Wish I had a few thousand of those good ole 1941 dollars at what they were worth then!

Early 70's had 30 cent per gas-5 loafs of bread for a buck-$100 per month rent with water, lights and heat (small guy pad) on a $2 per hour job and still had a car, beer, cigarettes and really cool clothes and enough left to entertain lady friends :D
In 1969, I was a newly minted 2LT in the Army, got married and lived pretty decently on the $319 per month plus $47 for food and $110 for housing. I wasn't getting rich, but I was comfortable.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Thank you for your service sir!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

schmieg wrote:In 1969, I was a newly minted 2LT in the Army, got married and lived pretty decently on the $319 per month plus $47 for food and $110 for housing. I wasn't getting rich, but I was comfortable.
A decade later, in 1980, as a new Ensign I pulled in about $12k for a year, which included my food and housing allotment for being off base (no officer quarters at either of my first two training bases). Pay was a bit low but that was before the Reagan buildup.

By the time I left in 1984 as a frocked LT, I was up to around $27k/yr, though if I stayed in nuke officers were getting bonuses around $10k IIRC. That $27k was comfortable living, even in the Bay area for that time living in Alameda. $500/month for a large spacious 3 BR apartment. I wonder what they get for those today :shock:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

pk47 wrote:
schmieg wrote:In 1969, I was a newly minted 2LT in the Army, got married and lived pretty decently on the $319 per month plus $47 for food and $110 for housing. I wasn't getting rich, but I was comfortable.
A decade later, in 1980, as a new Ensign I pulled in about $12k for a year, which included my food and housing allotment for being off base (no officer quarters at either of my first two training bases). Pay was a bit low but that was before the Reagan buildup.

By the time I left in 1984 as a frocked LT, I was up to around $27k/yr, though if I stayed in nuke officers were getting bonuses around $10k IIRC. That $27k was comfortable living, even in the Bay area for that time living in Alameda. $500/month for a large spacious 3 BR apartment. I wonder what they get for those today :shock:
Pay increased dramatically for a while. I was making about $15k as a captain when I got out. I did a divorce for an Army captain in the 1990's and she was making about $65k.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand