MN Concealed Carrier shot by officer, office now charged

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: MN Concealed Carrier shot by officer, office now charged

Post by deanimator »

Chuck wrote:I've never seen that before, thank you for posting it
Notification got him killed quick.
Maybe proponents of mandatory notification consider that a feature, rather than a bug.

Perhaps if people think they'll be killed for OBEYING the law, they won't carry.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Here's the pro-Yanez take from a site that will never speak ill of an officer, even though they don't name him in this entire article (if you're not ashamed, why not name the officer, instead of constantly referring to his office/station in society?). Let the record show that I lead with the most charitable restating of the facts. There was a recent robbery and heightened alert.

A) Any DA, save the loonies on the left in Baltimore/Detroit/Illinois/California, would need a VERY granite solid case against a cop in order to deep six the relationship with the local police. When an indictment was brought, you knew it was going to be ugly.

B) This used to be funny ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Vw8Blk0og" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), because it used to be absurd to think that cops would indiscriminately shoot innocent citizens.
B1)Cartman's "Mah Authoritah!" used to be absurd, and therefore funny.

C) Good to see some RINO voting block talking heads, albeit lesser known ones, supporting the idea of justice for people wearing thin blue threads. This is intellectually consistent, at least.
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/8 ... 2602956800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

D) Do we think that Yanez's colleagues are buying him a beer today, or are they shunning him? Are they quietly teaching him how to repair HVAC units for a living, or are they sitting beside him in the briefing room with a renewed sense of confidence? Where does this lead, and do we want to go there? Somebody bring forth the "only one bad apple/most are parade-worthy #Heroes" trope!

E) He cried in an Oscar worthy performance almost a year after the event.
The officer who shot and killed Philando Castile took to the stand Friday afternoon in his manslaughter trial, delivering tearful testimony.

"I was scared to death," he said. "I thought I was going to die. Had thoughts of my baby girl and family."

Yanez was crying when he described the moment he shot Philando Castile in July 2016.

"I did not want to shoot Mr. Castile at all. Those were not my intentions," Yanez said. "It still upsets me today."
(Not my intentions? Like, were you there to serve him a raspberry blintz?)

Nevermind the hours of training and thousands in equipment spent in the service of keeping Yanez safe, throw all of that out...we mundanes can't constantly wear body armor while driving a distracting car with a laptop on our right hand....but these special folks MUST...
He was scared. So scared that all he could do is destroy the dude, then he wasn't scared of the other two people in the car who were quiet as mice, to be sure...no fear of the women who loved the newly perforated pot-smoker...they couldn't have been in on the recent heist...the training kicked in then...and he found the restraint to not blow them away, as he was no longer in fear...

F) Lee Greenwood could not be reached for comment.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

What we have is dueling narratives, which have melded to the detriment of NON-criminals:
  1. Young, Black, male felons must be inviolate. - Hence we see the assertions that thugs like Michael Brown (and our own Arthur Buford) have a RIGHT to rob and assault citizens and cops. Past oppression justifies any future predation. Dissent from this makes you a "racist".
  2. Cops must be inviolate. - Hence we see cops who wrongfully shoot citizens like Emma Hernandez, Margie Carranza, Kathryn Johnston, Levar Jones and Akai Gurley treated as "heroes" and their victims blamed for their own shootings, slandered and demeaned as "opportunists" when they or their survivors seek redress in the civil courts. The cops were "scared", and therefore they should be able to do ANYTHING (reasonable or not) to "protect" themselves, even from people who present no threat at all. Dissent from this makes you a "cop hater".
It's a two headed, counterfeit coin, minted in Pyongyang. In either case, "Heads they win, tails you lose"... at least if you're NOT inside of the respective magic chalk circles.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

bignflnut wrote:D) Do we think that Yanez's colleagues are buying him a beer today, or are they shunning him? Are they quietly teaching him how to repair HVAC units for a living, or are they sitting beside him in the briefing room with a renewed sense of confidence? Where does this lead, and do we want to go there? Somebody bring forth the "only one bad apple/most are parade-worthy #Heroes" trope!
Golden Parachute being negotiated...
The City of St. Anthony announced that it fired officer Jeronimo Yanez from the department on the day he was cleared of all counts in the killing of Philando Castile.

“The City of St. Anthony has concluded that the public will be best served if Officer Yanez is no longer a police officer in our city,” the statement said. “The city intends to offer Officer Yanez a voluntary separation agreement to help him transition to another career other than being a St. Anthony officer.”
"Public" best served...uh huh...
Yanez being put into George Zimmerman's vanishing project.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

bignflnut wrote:Yanez being put into George Zimmerman's vanishing project.
Or he'll just get a job with a neighboring dept. Which way it goes will say something about how local LEOs feel about his actions.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The officer tearfully recounting how scared he was...exactly my point. The standard is essentially if one feared for his life, but that must be a reasonable fear. By all evidence I see in that account, Yanez jacked himself into an unreasonable state of fear. I have had issues with pot-smoking neighbors and a dog breeding business in our neighborhood resulting in police interactions. My required informs were generally met with yawns and OK, let's get to the point. Some of these involved threats of violence by others. I have also been questioned when my backfiring lawnmower resulted in a 911 call. That cop was informed that I carry and my lawnmower backfired. He left with a chuckle as I restarted my lawnmower and it backfired again. Reasonable fear, the officer pulled his gun as soon as he was informed.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

catfish86 wrote: The standard is essentially if one feared for his life, but that must be a reasonable fear. By all evidence I see in that account, Yanez jacked himself into an unreasonable state of fear.
A solid point.
Officers aren’t omniscient, and they can only react to the facts as they perceive them. Absent corruption, incompetence, or malice, most officers are going to make reasonable choices in high-stress situations. Some, however, will fail, and it’s imperative that juries understand that not all fear is reasonable, and some officers simply (and wrongly) panic. Perhaps some have unreasonable fear because of racial stereotypes. Perhaps some have unreasonable fears for other reasons. Perhaps some have a brutal habit of escalating force too quickly. But every officer must uphold the rule of reason, a rule that compels a degree of courage, a measure of discipline, and a tolerance for risk that is inherent in the job that they’ve chosen.

The vast majority of officers are up to that challenge. A few are not. They must be held accountable. Justice demands no less.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:Here's the pro-Yanez take from a site that will never speak ill of an officer, even though they don't name him in this entire article (if you're not ashamed, why not name the officer, instead of constantly referring to his office/station in society?). Let the record show that I lead with the most charitable restating of the facts. There was a recent robbery and heightened alert.
The problem was regardless of the robbery and description of the suspect a few days before, in the dash cam video the officers body language is clearly relaxed until the moment of notification. Regarding the pot issue, what I read in the news was only that trace amounts of THC were in his system, which meant that he had used pot sometime in the near or even distant past, NOT that he was high that day. Another issue is that the officers full account of what happened was not entered into court as evidence by the prosecution. When they tried to enter it during the trial, the judge refused, saying the prosecution should've entered it in at the beginning. That account did not sound good for the defendant. Is that a correct assessment of the expert testimony and the cops statements?
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

catfish86 wrote:However, Colin Noir hasn't gotten the memo to be silent:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prominent-bl ... 55045.html
Generally like Colion...but this one may have gotten past him...

From the above link, commenting on the recent acquittal:
However, the group’s most prominent black commentator, Colion Noir, is speaking out about the decision.

“Yanez walking away from this case a free and clear man is just wrong,” Noir wrote in an impassioned online post on Sunday. Though he despised “race-baiting”, Noir wrote, “covert racism is a real thing and is very dangerous.

“Philando Castile should be alive today. I don’t feel [Yanez] woke up that day wanting to shoot a black person. However, I keep asking myself, would he have done the same thing if Philando were white?”
And here is a Noir video done near the time of the incident, calling the media out for not focusing on the facts of the case, but using the race card to divide people.

Yanez ain't white...so is he ripping cop v black people?
Not difficult to see why the NRA and other pro gun groups are publicly silent about Yanez's actions. Gotta say good with the cops, or as good as you can...lest they act like Yanez

deanimator

Post by deanimator »

bignflnut wrote:Gotta say good with the cops, or as good as you can...lest they act like Yanez
Unfortunately, that helped neither Levar Jones nor Charles Kinsey.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Although the youtube link I posted is still up, there is now a content warning, wanting you to sign in to see it. The shooting portion of it however is exactly the same as what CBS put on the evening news, without any kind of warning. :roll: The CBS video also included the video from the passengers cellphone, at one point showing him bleeding out.