Robber shot after home invasion -dispatchers questions

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Robber shot after home invasion -dispatchers questions

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/911 ... aUAMOqWpJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While talking to the man who was shot the caller asks, “Was it worth it?” “I didn’t think so,” he said.
Dispatchers asked the caller to provide some medical help while crews responded, but the caller refused.
“He broke into my house,” the caller said. “He shot at me.”
If I were in a similar situation, I would be extremely leery of being close enough to the attacker to even have a conversation, much less have my hands on them. Wounded people can still be a potential danger, particularly when you've got a firearm in your hand and you're within their reach, and or they still have a weapon. (or possibly another weapon you don't know about)
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Robber shot after home invasion -dispatchers questions

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

The way I read that it wasn't the 911 dispatcher who asked "Was it worth it" but did ask him to provide medical care to his attacker. I don't blame him for refusing. From Greg Ellifritz:

Should I Provide First Aid to the Attacker I Just Shot?
I’m probably going to ruffle a few feathers with my answer, but I maintain that an armed citizen SHOULD NOT approach a suspect he just shot in order to provide first aid.

It’s simply too dangerous. The criminal may be “playing dead” in order to lure you closer so that he can continue his attack. It might be a ruse so that the criminal can take your own gun away from you. Even if the criminal’s weapon is out of his reach, there’s nothing to prevent him from drawing a second gun or knife. We know serious predators often carry more than one weapon on their person when the commit their crimes.
Besides the primary suspect, you may be extremely vulnerable to any of his accomplices while your attention is focused on providing medical attention. It’s a bad idea.
Another thing he didn't mention, but what are you doing with your gun when you approach him? Either you bring it with you, giving him the potential opportunity to take it from you, or you leave it behind leaving you even more vulnerable to another attack.
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Criminals have more rights than their victims in Bloomberg controlled areas.

I wonder if the robber will bring a civil lawsuit because of his contributions to society. My guess is yes and depending on state law or jury.... he could actually win.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The North Miami cop who shot Charles Kinsey not only rendered him no aid, he handcuffed him.

I have no MORE duty to assume medical and legal risk by providing medical assistance to a felonious assailant, than a cop does to render medical assistance to an INNOCENT person whom he just WRONGFULLY shot.

My dialing 911 is all of the aid an attacker deserves or will get from me.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
docachna

Post by docachna »

deanimator wrote:

My dialing 911 is all of the aid an attacker deserves or will get from me.
Like HE said. :evil:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:The way I read that it wasn't the 911 dispatcher who asked "Was it worth it" but did ask him to provide medical care to his attacker. I don't blame him for refusing. From Greg Ellifritz:
Perhaps I should've omitted that from the quote. My comment regarding the request of the 911 dispatcher had nothing to do with the "was it worth it?" question. I didn't mean to imply that the dispatcher asked that question, only the one about rendering aid.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I'm an ER RN. I believe that if I could do so safely, I would render whatever aid I could. I don't blame anyone that would feel otherwise.

I've taken care of a whole lot of people that many would say "don't deserve it". Again, not judging those that feel that way, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

tbrew85 wrote:I'm an ER RN. I believe that if I could do so safely, I would render whatever aid I could. I don't blame anyone that would feel otherwise.

I've taken care of a whole lot of people that many would say "don't deserve it". Again, not judging those that feel that way, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
It's not about "deserve" it's about your own "scene safety". If I don't have friends/family there to watch my back, I can't do that and render aid at the same time.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

And if body fluids are leaking, one may not want to be exposed to whatever pathogens are lurking therein.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

tbrew85 wrote:I'm an ER RN. I believe that if I could do so safely, I would render whatever aid I could. I don't blame anyone that would feel otherwise.

The fact that the wounded was trying to use lethal force against you - directly - moments ago should be thought about prior to equating it to a formal medical setting. There are some big differences here.

Normalcy bias is a real thing, and it can get you killed. What if you give enough aid that the bad guy revives enough to kill you?

I'm not saying this issue is black or white by any means, just suggesting a line of thought. If you've thought it out, more power to you.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

My last medical training was in 1980 as a 2nd Lt. in the Infantry Officer Basic Course.

If I justifiably shoot somebody he can't collect if he sues me.

If I incompetently provide medical services which I'm unqualified to render and cause additional injury, the "victim" owns me.

And that leaves aside the danger to me.

What do I win if I get hepatitis C or HIV from my assailant's bodily fluids?

If you didn't attack me, you wouldn't NEED medical care... at least not from MY gunshot(s).
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I'm not, I have only basic first aid cert. According to my training the first thing I'm supposed to do is to ensure the scene is safe. In the scenario as given I'm not sure I could be confident of that.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

deanimator wrote:

My last medical training was in 1980 as a 2nd Lt. in the Infantry Officer Basic Course.

If I incompetently provide medical services which I'm unqualified to render and cause additional injury, the "victim" owns me.

If you didn't attack me, you wouldn't NEED medical care... at least not from MY gunshot(s).
You put a lot of thought into things like this
That's why I appreciate reading you
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

deanimator wrote:

No worries about being "owned" now, everything else sounds like valid reasons not to render aid.

Court: Good Samaritan law protects all who help in emergency
Ohio’s Good Samaritan law protecting people from legal liability for rendering aid applies to anyone who provides assistance -- medical or otherwise – at the scene of an emergency, the Ohio Supreme Court declared today.

The court ruled 4-3 that the law applies to more than medical professionals and first responders and is not restricted to medical care, but also applies to other situations in which an uninjured person immediately needs help.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

cashman966 wrote:
deanimator wrote:

No worries about being "owned" now, everything else sounds like valid reasons not to render aid.

Court: Good Samaritan law protects all who help in emergency
Ohio’s Good Samaritan law protecting people from legal liability for rendering aid applies to anyone who provides assistance -- medical or otherwise – at the scene of an emergency, the Ohio Supreme Court declared today.

The court ruled 4-3 that the law applies to more than medical professionals and first responders and is not restricted to medical care, but also applies to other situations in which an uninjured person immediately needs help.
Let's see, "The court ruled 4-3" which means you probably had 4 conservatives with common sense and 3 bleeding liberals who support the aggressor. Laws have been overturned by new court make-ups by incoming administrations.