Washington mall shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Washington mall shooting

Post by AlanM »

Just a quick comment on this unfolding story.
I'm listening/watching FoxNews right now and they are stressing that this shooting occurred in a GUN FREE ZONE.

Hunt on for gunman who killed 5, including 4 women, at Washington mall
Police were searching for a gunman who killed four women and a man at a Washington state mall Friday before fleeing the area.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Sgt. Mark Francis said police were searching for a Hispanic man wearing black and armed with a rifle who was last seen walking toward Interstate 5 near the Cascade Mall in Burlington.
"Stay indoors, stay secure," Francis said at a news conference.

The male victim was airlifted to a Seattle hospital with critical injuries. Washington State Patrol Trooper Heather Axtman told "Fox & Friends" Saturday morning that the man had died.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Washington mall shooting

Post by steves 50de »

The image of the suspect the media said was of a Latin male. I would say the image looked more middle eastern than Latin just sayin. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:The image of the suspect the media said was of a Latin male. I would say the image looked more middle eastern than Latin just sayin. :wink:
Now you're just being silly. Middle Easterners are all vegan pacifists...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

There really isn't such a thing as a gun free zone, unless perhaps you have people with metal detectors at the entrances proactively keeping them out. (like courthouses, sections of airports, Secret service protected sights, some schools, etc) The only thing a sign does is make it a criminal protection zone.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I had the same reaction to the picture. Given recent history of denial of muslim involvement in attacks, I am just waiting on this one.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
tmq40

Post by tmq40 »

Got this off a Yahoo message board. It appears to have more detailed information then what is being reported in the news. I like his remark about the media.

"Sheesh....useless media. I live near the Mall and have been listening to the online scanner feeds. Here is what happened:

At 6:52PM last evening, a man described by a witness as an Hispanic male 20-25 years old, walked into the Macy's Department store attached to Cascade Mall.
He entered from an exterior door from the parking lot. Carrying a .22 rimfire rifle. He proceeded to the Cosmetics counter area of the Women's Dept.
There he called out to a woman, presumably one of the victims, by name. Then he started shooting at her and those standing near her.
He hit 6 people. 4 women and 2 men. The 4 women and 1 of the men died. He then left the rifle on the Cosmetics counter, and walked back out into the parking lot.
Proceeding West, he walked across the parking lot toward the nearby Interstate highway, I-5.

Better pic's here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtITT-3VYAAp_nd.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since then, Local Police, Sheriff's Deputies, State Police, K9 Teams, a Sheriff's helicopter, a Border Patrol helicopter, and the FBI, have been searching for him.
He has not yet been located or identified. It appears to be a jilted ex-boyfriend or bad druggie deal thing, that happened to occur at a Mall. Not a terrorist type thing."
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Border patrol helicopter.. so they haven't caught the guy, but they already know he's an illegal ? or is that simply normal inter-agency cooperation ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

tmq40 wrote: Carrying a .22 rimfire rifle.
Here we go.
HancockCountyHaL
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Bruenor wrote:Border patrol helicopter.. so they haven't caught the guy, but they already know he's an illegal ? or is that simply normal inter-agency cooperation ?
Co-op.

And he's been caught.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews. ... ent=safari
Local media identified the suspect as Arcan Cetin, 20, a native of Turkey who went to high school in Oak Harbor. A press conference was scheduled for 9:30 p.m. local time.
mreising

Post by mreising »

TJW815 wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Border patrol helicopter.. so they haven't caught the guy, but they already know he's an illegal ? or is that simply normal inter-agency cooperation ?
Co-op.

And he's been caught.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews. ... ent=safari
Local media identified the suspect as Arcan Cetin, 20, a native of Turkey who went to high school in Oak Harbor. A press conference was scheduled for 9:30 p.m. local time.
I guess he wasn't Hispanic now, was he? We don't know his religion but we do know what part of the world he is from.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:
tmq40 wrote: Carrying a .22 rimfire rifle.
Here we go.
Yep, I had the same thought. Now the anti's will want the Ruger 10/22 listed as a assault rifle. From now to eternity it will be a uphill battle for our 2nd amendment rights.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

mreising wrote: I guess he wasn't Hispanic now, was he? We don't know his religion but we do know what part of the world he is from.
Turkhispanic? Hey, if that guy from Florida can be a "white Hispanic", why not another invented term for this dude?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

OK, he is a Turk. He is a legal resident...a legal immigrant. Turks are 99.8% muslim. However this does not seem to be terrorist in nature.

As noted earlier, one of the witnesses said he yelled out a specific woman's name before opening fire.

They say he has a history of domestic violence arrests and an assault. One of the judges ordered him not to possess firearms. Wow, that worked wonders. He also was already prohibited from owning firearms if any conviction stemmed from the DVs.

As an aside to the caliber debates, the 22 seemed to do just fine as to lethality.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:As an aside to the caliber debates, the 22 seemed to do just fine as to lethality.
.22 rimfire is known for it's lethality... just not it's stopping power. If you're just out to kill people (as this nitwit was), that's not a problem. If you're trying to defend yourself, it's a BIG problem. If my assailant dies in the hospital three weeks after killing ME, I'm not sure how that benefits me in any way.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

A personal grudge and jihad aren't mutually exclusive.

Being turned down by a woman can easily feed into islamist misogyny, as can an infinity of other negative interactions with women.

The odds are AT LEAST 50/50 that islamist material will at some point be linked to the killer.