Tulsa LEO Kills man with stalled car

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Tulsa LEO Kills man with stalled car

Post by 147Doc »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:They're cherrypicking a couple images where the sunlight is not reflecting off windows (thus allowing you to see inside -- which btw is what a window is designed to do) to say the windows were down.
Those windows are up.
There was another shot on the news this morning from immediately post shooting showing blood on the glass of the drivers windows. Definitely up.
ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

After watching, the video I am left with some nagging questions. Why are none of the four officers watching making any attempt to subdue the suspect? After the suspect is shot why does no one make any attempt to secure him or provide first aid? They do seem to have that tacti-cool backward walk down pat. If they were that concerned the suspect would harm them, they should have secured him. If these officers are representative of the entire force, the residents should be very concerned.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I just heard that the officer is to be charged criminally.

http://www.newson6.com/story/33160895/p ... courthouse
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

drc wrote:... it sure appeared that there was blood stains on a closed window when the videos are big enough to see...
:?

Really?

Here is a look at the vehicle from the helicopter as it is at the front driver side of the vehicle. Yes, there is a dark "line" above where the blood is on the door, but it's just the seat belt.

Here is another view, one directly at the driver side. There is nothing on the window because the window is down.

Sorry, but walk away from a gun-wielding officer and reach into your car????

Suicide by cop, at best.
MyWifeSaidYes
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Lets be honest about the window...you really can't tell.

I will say this though, I am surprised anytime an officer is actually charged, but I am not surprised that this is one of those cases. It just doesn't add up to shooting the guy. She knew she had a partner right there. He deployed the tazer and she should have let that be done. She is also at the tail of the vehicle and cover. Granted he was not following instructions but that is not justification to shoot him. It has to be a reasonable belief that he was dangerous. I am not saying it is a slam dunk conviction but there is plenty of reasonable cause to bring the charge.

There are those who will excuse even the most blatant of executions but manslaughter is probably appropriate here.

I don't think there was malice, just bad judgment resulting in a death...manslaughter.

As to those on here saying the fact she got an attorney means she must be guilty....no, just a cop who knows how the system works and investigators ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE your friend.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The law in Oklahoma according the the press story:

Homicide is manslaughter in the first degree in the following cases:

1. When perpetrated without a design to effect death by a person while engaged in the commission of a misdemeanor.

2. When perpetrated without a design to effect death, and in a heat of passion, but in a cruel and unusual manner, or by means of a dangerous weapon; unless it is committed under such circumstances as constitute excusable or justifiable homicide.

3. When perpetrated unnecessarily either while resisting an attempt by the person killed to commit a crime, or after such attempt shall have failed.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

I've watched the video from the helo cam and can't tell one way or the other about the window. My question is did this cop have their finger on the trigger and jerked from being startled when the taser was deployed.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DOA33 wrote:I've watched the video from the helo cam and can't tell one way or the other about the window. My question is did this cop have their finger on the trigger and jerked from being startled when the taser was deployed.
I heard a report on the radio news that said her gun discharged immediately after the Taser was fired from another officer, so it's possible I suppose.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

DOA33 wrote:I've watched the video from the helo cam and can't tell one way or the other about the window. My question is did this cop have their finger on the trigger and jerked from being startled when the taser was deployed.
On target, on trigger.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

catfish86 wrote:As to those on here saying the fact she got an attorney means she must be guilty....no, just a cop who knows how the system works and investigators ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE your friend.
I believe it was me who said that...I said that long before it was announced that the officer was to be charged...and I still stick to my opinion. I think the officer was really jumpy...perhaps never experienced this sort of situation before and/or simply was not "cut out for the job". You can hear the extreme panic in her voice during the "shots fired" audio recording. I believe she flinched or panicked...call it whatever you like and pulled the trigger. I also suspect that immediately afterwards she realized her mistake and sought an attorney in expectation of being charged.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

So...we've got the video...albeit without audio...
X = Justice (in this instance). Solve for X.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

bignflnut wrote:So...we've got the video...albeit without audio...
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

sd790 wrote:
bignflnut wrote:So...we've got the video...albeit without audio...
:lol: Actually it's potentially the right answer to that question. Now if it had asked for the
value of X, that's different.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:
On target, on trigger.
And that is a recipe for disaster when a gun, particularly one with a short light trigger pull (I have no idea what she carried) is pointed at a human being instead of a paper target.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

That seems like the most likely explanation for her shooting and only shooting once. It's how Akai Gurley died in NYC.

I suspect that she's admitted that's what she did, either directly or to other cops at the scene.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.