Another state "very" close to permitless carry?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Another state "very" close to permitless carry?

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I didn't see this posted anywhere else and not sure "where" it ought to be posted , so I'll slap it in this forum....if it needs moved please do so....

http://bearingarms.com/west-virginia-ho ... nal-carry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit:......Oooops, guess this "should" have been posted in the "In the news" forum.....can somebody put it there. please?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Another state "very" close to permitless carry?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Watched the hearing this morning.

WV Senate voted 23 to 11 to override the gubernatorial veto of HB 4145.

That's 6 permitless carry states.
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Post by BobK »

Eight.

I'll also note that WV voted 62% for (R) president in 2012, compared to Ohio voting 48%. I will also opine that the difference in state voter preferences directly influenced state politics, making unlicensed carry politically feasible there while remaining a heavy lift in Ohio.

In fact, let's disregard both VT and MN as they are weird New England states with a liberal influence mixed with rural populations and look at the remaining unlicensed carry states. The (R) presidential candidate won the 2012 election in these states with the following percentage of the votes:

AK 55%
AZ 54%
AR 61%
KS 60%
WY 69%

Our gun rights are won and lost in direct proportion to our ability to win and keep a clear majority of the electorate. Ohio is always only one ballot issue away from losing much hard-won territory.

Note that I am not stating voting (R) is a guarantee of my increased 2A rights. Instead I am noting that the percent willing to vote (R) is a useful proxy to indicate a general increased willingness to support gun rights (and other conservative issues) as compared to the populace voting (D).
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

BobK that was very good analysis of recent voting trends and hopefully indicates some much needed redirection of state governments in this country. I keep hoping Ohio will follow this trend but it just doesn't seem that likely.

Also worth noting although PA requires a permit to CC there is no class or application process. If you pass the background check to legally purchase a firearm you get a card that you turn into the courthouse and they issue you a carry permit for $25. Walk in and walk out with your permit. This information is from a buddy of mine who purchased his first handgun last fall & then got his carry permit.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
ppfd

Post by ppfd »

Yes we did.

People are tired of decades of democrat ruling. The democrats voted for a guy in prison over obama if that tells you anything. We ousted a southern WV "byrd jr" democrat congressman that had been in for years. Coal is the life blood of this state and the democrats did nothing to help save it.
Manchin is next and he knows it.

Permit-less carry was spun as a danger to cops all over the state. While I do agree some sort of training is needed, this is a shooting state. The general population probably shoots more than any police officer. The sheriffs are worried about losing that easy money in the form of CHL. They spun it as criminals will be carrying concealed. Guess what, criminals are already carrying concealed. Charleston the capital is constantly shoot up daily by thugs.

I don't see people buy a CHL changing much, I know I'll keep buying one as I'm in Ohio as much as WV.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

18M_RWR wrote:...I keep hoping Ohio will follow this trend but it just doesn't seem that likely.
Have faith and vote right. :wink:
18M_RWR wrote:Also worth noting although PA requires a permit to CC there is no class or application process. If you pass the background check to legally purchase a firearm you get a card that you turn into the courthouse and they issue you a carry permit for $25. Walk in and walk out with your permit. This information is from a buddy of mine who purchased his first handgun last fall & then got his carry permit.
You're referring to an Ohio CHL holder getting a PA non-resident license. Not every sheriff in PA will issue non-resident licenses.

PA citizens have no training requirement but DO have the same potential 45 day wait as Ohio.
MyWifeSaidYes
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
18M_RWR wrote:...I keep hoping Ohio will follow this trend but it just doesn't seem that likely.
Exactly have faith and VOTE it is the only path forward :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
18M_RWR wrote:Also worth noting although PA requires a permit to CC there is no class or application process. If you pass the background check to legally purchase a firearm you get a card that you turn into the courthouse and they issue you a carry permit for $25. Walk in and walk out with your permit. This information is from a buddy of mine who purchased his first handgun last fall & then got his carry permit.
You're referring to an Ohio CHL holder getting a PA non-resident license. Not every sheriff in PA will issue non-resident licenses.

PA citizens have no training requirement but DO have the same potential 45 day wait as Ohio.
Actually, I was referring to a PA resident obtaining a concealed carry permit. My buddy lives near Pittsburgh and he only had to take the 'yellow' card he received after passing the background check when purchasing his handgun to the courthouse and was issued his carry permit. The only "wait" time was his time spent standing in line at the Clerk of Courts office in the courthouse. I did not ask him what the process is for a PA resident to obtain the 'yellow' card without purchasing a handgun.

I have been told by a Ohio CHL holder that he and his father have repeatedly tried to get a non-resident PA license from a few different PA sheriffs and have not been successful yet. They have been Ohio CHL holders for years and travel to PA several times each year to visit family.

I only mentioned about PA as an earlier posted referenced other states that were Constitutional carry states and I thought it was worth mentioning that although PA requires a permit; it is easily obtained and passing the standard background check to purchase a gun is the only requirement along with $25 fee to obtain the carry permit for a PA resident.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
And persuade/convince a few million of your fellow Ohio citizens to do so as well.

A single vote is virtually meaningless, but influencing a large voting block is game changing.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

18M_RWR wrote:I have been told by a Ohio CHL holder that he and his father have repeatedly tried to get a non-resident PA license from a few different PA sheriffs and have not been successful yet. They have been Ohio CHL holders for years and travel to PA several times each year to visit family.
Tell them to go to / through Crawford County (Sheriff's office is in the county courthouse in Meadville), Erie County (Erie), Butler County (Butler) or Centre County (Bellefonte). All of these will issue licenses to non-residents and allow out-of-state references on the application. But since April of last year, PA recognizes an Ohio license so there isn't much benefit to having a PA license. Still, if I were spending much time there, I'd get one.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

JustaShooter wrote:Tell them to go to / through Crawford County (Sheriff's office is in the county courthouse in Meadville), Erie County (Erie), Butler County (Butler) or Centre County (Bellefonte). All of these will issue licenses to non-residents and allow out-of-state references on the application. But since April of last year, PA recognizes an Ohio license so there isn't much benefit to having a PA license. Still, if I were spending much time there, I'd get one.
Thanks I will tell them about those counties.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

BobK wrote:And persuade/convince a few million of your fellow Ohio citizens to do so as well.

A single vote is virtually meaningless, but influencing a large voting block is game changing.
I agree without increasing the number of people who will vote with us to defend and reclaim our 2A rights changing the current status is only a dream. I try to capitalize on each opportunity that presents itself to plant the seeds that hopefully will grow into a pro 2A resident.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

BobK wrote: Our gun rights are won and lost in direct proportion to our ability to win and keep a clear majority of the electorate. Ohio is always only one ballot issue away from losing much hard-won territory.

Note that I am not stating voting (R) is a guarantee of my increased 2A rights. Instead I am noting that the percent willing to vote (R) is a useful proxy to indicate a general increased willingness to support gun rights (and other conservative issues) as compared to the populace voting (D).
I have acquaintances that are registered as (D), but are pro 2A, including a couple of them who have tried to run for local office. The problems they run into is
1. getting the nomination, since the fervent (D)'s are anti gun, and
2. if you do happen to get the nomination, if they don't know your position on gun rights the average voter just assumes you're anti gun, because you're a (D). It's like there's no room in the Democratic party anymore for people who aren't far left on everything.
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

According to this post on Brietbart.com WV is now one of eight states
Eight States Where The 2nd Amendment Is Your Concealed Carry Permit
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

18M_RWR wrote:According to this post on Brietbart.com WV is now one of eight states
Eight States Where The 2nd Amendment Is Your Concealed Carry Permit
Correct - well, at least they will be in 90 days when the new law takes effect.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!