police officers indicted for murder

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

police officers indicted for murder

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/us/louisi ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Officials initially said there was an exchange of gunfire but later said no firearm was found in Few's vehicle.
The article doesn't say if the body cam revealed a shooting exchange, only that it was disturbing, which means nothing as to the guilt or innocence of the cops or how the boy came to be shot. Obviously an innocent year old getting shot is disturbing, however it happens.
M-Quigley

Re: police officers indicted for murder

Post by M-Quigley »

Additional information and correction to OP:

In the OP I accidentally left out the 6 in 6 year old too late to change it now.

When I read this news story I couldn't figure out why there wasn't wall to wall news coverage of this, along with protests and demonstrations from Rev Al, BLM, statements from the president, etc. When the Ray Tensing Sam Dubose Cincinnati shooting indictment occurred, someone I know who lives in Cook County in Ill. told me that he heard more about that news story than any of the shootings that occur on a regular basis in Chicago. Same thing with the cop who shot an unarmed guy in the back in S.C.Then I saw this link.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2426595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never mind, nothing to see here.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

My headline would read:

"Two Black Police Officers Arrested For Murdering 6 Year Old White Child".

Turnabout is fair play, no?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

M-Quigley wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/us/louisi ... index.html
Officials initially said there was an exchange of gunfire but later said no firearm was found in Few's vehicle.
The article doesn't say if the body cam revealed a shooting exchange, only that it was disturbing, which means nothing as to the guilt or innocence of the cops or how the boy came to be shot. Obviously an innocent year old getting shot is disturbing, however it happens.
There was no shooting exchange. The father was not armed and no weapons were found.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pirateguy191 wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/us/louisi ... index.html
There was no shooting exchange. The father was not armed and no weapons were found.
It doesn't appear from the limited information given so far that an exchange occurred at the time the boy and father were shot, but it's possible that something happened prior to the shooting, possibly even with someone else instead of the victims. It's also possible that a
shooting exchange is the stock answer or assumption for those officials. When all the facts eventually come out, it will be interesting to see what caused two different police officers to do what they did.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

M-Quigley wrote:
It doesn't appear from the limited information given so far that an exchange occurred at the time the boy and father were shot, but it's possible that something happened prior to the shooting, possibly even with someone else instead of the victims. It's also possible that a
shooting exchange is the stock answer or assumption for those officials. When all the facts eventually come out, it will be interesting to see what caused two different police officers to do what they did.
And two others to NOT do what the other two did. :wink:

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pirateguy191 wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
And two others to NOT do what the other two did. :wink:
That's right, although other people not shooting doesn't always mean the shooting is a bad one. For example, you might not be either in a position to safely shoot, too far away, or covering some accomplice of the suspect.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

There's bodycam footage and the two officers were arrested for murder.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pirateguy191 wrote:There's bodycam footage and the two officers were arrested for murder.
That's true. I was speaking in a generic sense, and not specifically to this case. Look at the Ray Tensing case for example. Someone observing from a distance wouldn't have the same perspective as the person right there and wearing a body cam.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Hard to say without seeing the body cam. I know the Cleveland PD said the Tamir Rice video was clear that it was a good shoot. I will wait to see the video which will eventually come out. Maybe the police are coming to the conclusion that protecting officers in bad shoots is not worth the fallout. That would be a good thing.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Some additional info about this shooting. Apparently at least one of the cops involved have multiple past complaints against them. One of them had two rape charges.
It has since emerged that in October 2011, Lt. Derrick Stafford was indicted by a Rapides Parish grand jury on two counts of aggravated rape. It is not clear what the outcomes of those cases were.
There was possibly some kind of relationship between one of the cops and the fiance of the boys father.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -each.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://theadvocate.com/news/13927384-12 ... ississippi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Y’all just don’t know what the hell we go through around here,” said Ruby Ivory, of nearby Mansura, who described a number of run-ins with Marksville authorities.

Those concerns were echoed by John Lemoine, Marksville’s 63-year-old mayor, who said he’s struggled since he was first elected in 2010 to reform the city’s Police Department and dismiss troublesome officers but has been hampered by Civil Service Board rulings.

“We have citizens that deserve to be served and protected by the badge. Currently, that’s not always happening,” said Lemoine, a Marksville native and former School Board member who owns an auto shop and wrecker service in town.
At least five other pending civil suits name Stafford as a defendant, and two of those included Greenhouse as another defendant.

The suits include a 2012 lawsuit that alleges Stafford used a stun gun unprovoked and without warning while questioning a man. Another suit claims that Stafford used a stun gun on a handcuffed woman in the back of a police car while another accuses him of breaking a 15-year-old girl’s arm while wrestling her off a school bus.

Megan Dixon, Few’s fiancée, said this weekend that Few had a previous run-in with Greenhouse. A former high school classmate of Dixon, Greenhouse had started messaging her on Facebook and had come by the house Few and Dixon were sharing at the time.

“I told Chris and Chris confronted him about it and told him, ‘Next time you come to my house I’m going to hurt you,’ ” Dixon said.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE: Deputy asks charges to be thrown out r/t both the driver and the deceased 6 yr old boy due to lack of audio on body cam video, is claiming self defense.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2803600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the body cam video has been released.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2810805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
keepitsimple
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by keepitsimple »

"I drove into the path of a reversing evading driver, got out of my vehicle and approached the moving vehicle on foot putting myself directly in it's path, so therefore I was clearly in fear for my life and had no other option but to fire my weapon 14 times into the vehicle without confirming the number of occupants. There's nothing that I could have done differently in that situation and with 3 other Marshals on scene that would have changed the outcome or the events that took place."

Normally I'm all for lazy people being allowed to find the easiest solution to a problem, but not when it comes to police work.
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Alexander Hamilton
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Heroes don't kill innocents. There are about a thousand of these instances a year, in the US
Seventy-seven officers have been charged with murder or manslaughter since 2005, according to data collected and analyzed by Stinson's research group:
• 26 were convicted;
• 28 were not convicted;
• 23 still have criminal cases pending.

SNIP

Of the 26 officers convicted since 2005, 13 cases were decided by juries, according to Stinson:
• 13 convictions resulted from guilty pleas;
• No officers were convicted during bench trials.
Last edited by bignflnut on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The video shows just about everything the officers said was a lie.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.