Man Shoots Up Church

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: Man Shoots Up Church

Post by deanimator »

Tweed Ring wrote:Typically, individual attacks rarely get the job done on someone with a high profile.
They probably could if they just kept at it, over and over and over until somebody let his guard down.

The question is, do his potential executioners have a) the discipline, b) the patience, c) the motivation?

Who knows?

We'll find out.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

qmti wrote:Just another thought. Legislators allowed Churches/House of worship to be stripped out of HB48 (I believe this is the correct bill) as a no carry zone. I wonder if they are now re-thinking their cave-in on this issue.
That would require an active (not hardened / dead) conscience.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

bignflnut wrote:
qmti wrote:Just another thought. Legislators allowed Churches/House of worship to be stripped out of HB48 (I believe this is the correct bill) as a no carry zone. I wonder if they are now re-thinking their cave-in on this issue.
And also their theory for stripping it out is the church can still opt in if they desire instead of opting out. Really, it gets one the same in the end, my biggest issue is the opting in makes it a felony vs a misdemeanor if they opted out.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
bignflnut wrote:
And also their theory for stripping it out is the church can still opt in if they desire instead of opting out. Really, it gets one the same in the end, my biggest issue is the opting in makes it a felony vs a misdemeanor if they opted out.

Why couldn't the felony part be changed to a misdemeanor?
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:Why couldn't the felony part be changed to a misdemeanor?
Because they are all in the same section and they all have the same penalty. Sure, they could say 1-3 are felonies, 4 is a misdemeanor, and 5-8 are a felony, but they won't. For some reason they just won't touch churches. I don't know if there is some church group putting pressure on the legislature or not, but they seem to not really want to talk about.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

It's a shame too... I don't know what SC's law is about church carry... I can't cant help but think if a LAC had been there carrying, it would have ended different.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:It's a shame too... I don't know what SC's law is about church carry... I can't cant help but think if a LAC had been there carrying, it would have ended different.
I believe prohibited by state law and they do not have an opt in provision.

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:For some reason they just won't touch churches. I don't know if there is some church group putting pressure on the legislature or not, but they seem to not really want to talk about.
Perhaps the Ohio General Assembly should be reminded that the Ohio Constitution mandates that "no preference shall be given, by law, to any religious society[.]" Art. I, Sec. 7. Is there any reason that that a house of worship should not be subject to the requirement of posting notice under R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)(a), just like any other private entity? Is the current legal presumption under R.C. 2923.126(B)(6) not a preference given by law to a religious society?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:It's a shame too... I don't know what SC's law is about church carry... I can't cant help but think if a LAC had been there carrying, it would have ended different.
I believe prohibited by state law and they do not have an opt in provision.
Prohibited by state law without specific authorization from the church specifically authorizing carry.

So it is totally unpossible that this could have happened, because it is illegal to carry the gun into the church in the first place. Case closed.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Werz wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:For some reason they just won't touch churches. I don't know if there is some church group putting pressure on the legislature or not, but they seem to not really want to talk about.
Perhaps the Ohio General Assembly should be reminded that the Ohio Constitution mandates that "no preference shall be given, by law, to any religious society[.]" Art. I, Sec. 7. Is there any reason that that a house of worship should not be subject to the requirement of posting notice under R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)(a), just like any other private entity? Is the current legal presumption under R.C. 2923.126(B)(6) not a preference given by law to a religious society?
I recall the rhymin' revrun types from across the Buckeye showing up at statehouse hearings when CHL issuance was first being pondered by the legislature. Obviously the House and Senate kowtowed to them somewhat.

Glory hallelujah, AMEN! Preach it brother!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The Jewish federation or whatever they're called tend to come to the hearings and/or submit testimony fairly consistently against anything pro-2A whether it directly implicates religious operations or not.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Some thoughts after listening to anti-gun people talk about this incident...

Some think that a war on guns will be somehow more effective than the war on drugs. How has that worked out, for black men especially? Some think that outlawing something has magical powers like a law of nature where everyone will suddenly be forced to obey and there will never be anyone able to break that law. Unfortunately for them, this incident in NC just blows that out of the water.

1. Churches are gun free zones, how'd that work out?

2. The murderer would not have passed any background check yet still got a gun illegally from his father. Even without a universal background check, it was still illegal for his father to give him the gun and his father will likely go to jail for a long time. A universal background check law still relies upon people to obey the law and would likely have not stopped this tragedy.

3. Murder is already illegal. It's already one of the most strictly punished laws on the books, would somehow making that even more illegal have prevented this?

Sometimes crazy people do crazy things. No law can prevent every tragedy. Even in our prisons, where just about every freedom is restricted, violence and murder occurs.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

21 y/o was on antidepressant suboxone.

Was given the weapon as a gift, by his dad...which means...Bueller, Bueller...no background check.

And he may not have passed a NICS check.
Federal law prohibits people with pending felony charges from obtaining firearms. In February, Roof was arrested and later charged with felony possession of Suboxone, a narcotic prescription drug. He was released, and the case is pending.
If prosecutors can show that the father knew about Roof’s indictment but gave him the gun anyway, Roof’s father could face up to 10 years in prison.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

This thug broke a number of laws. I have yet to read about any law/laws which would have precluded this tragedy. I have yet to read about any proposed law/laws which would pass Constitutional muster.
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

And if guns were banned and somehow the ban actually was effective, despite all history of such bans to the contrary, then perhaps we'd just see more things like the 16th Street Baptist Church incident, which you may recall did not involve firearms at all. In other words, it's futile kabuki theater. But you all knew that!