SC Officer Charged with Murder

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: SC Officer Charged with Murder

Post by bignflnut »

Werz wrote: Or did everyone forget what happened three weeks ago in Cincinnati?
To what are you referring?
Are you referring to the Tensing "Mistrial" declaration? Are you suggesting that a "Mistrail" = Accountability = Justice?
Last edited by bignflnut on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

MG380...IDK what other evidence cancels out video evidence...BUT if your home is ever broken into, and you startle the thief, then empty your mag into his back as he is running away and see how well you fare in court.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

glocksmith wrote:MG380...IDK what other evidence cancels out video evidence...BUT if your home is ever broken into, and you startle the thief, then empty your mag into his back as he is running away and see how well you fare in court.
I am not an officer of the law attempting to capture a person who had just assaulted me, and used a taser on me. Assault on an officer is a felony. Scott was not an innocent man who was unarmed. He was a man who had just committed a violent felony on a police officer.

Burn marks on the officer's shirt from a taser can certainly add context that a video can never show. Those burn marks trump what is seen in the video. DNA and fingerprints from the dead guy on the taser show that he had it in his hand.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Well, like Carmen implied in a previous post, I'm not sure how one justifies firing multiple shots into a retreating person's back at over 50 feet distant. No matter how you slice it up, it looks bad to me, and many other citizens as well. IBTL
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

glocksmith wrote:Well, like Carmen implied in a previous post, I'm not sure how one justifies firing multiple shots into a retreating person's back at over 50 feet distant. No matter how you slice it up, it looks bad to me, and many other citizens as well. IBTL
Articles I read this morning said that it was under the Tueller distance, at only about 17 feet.

Whether it looks good or not is the issue. The issue is whether he was legally allowed to shoot a felon who he thought was a threat to his life, and the lives of others. His testimony made it clear he was afraid for his life, since he had just had the taser used on him.

Apparently, many of the jurors thought that his self-defense claim was valid as well.

I have seen the video, and a frame by frame, which shows taser wires.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

As civilians we are to deescalate while LE escalate. There were other options this officer could of taken, but in his frame of mind, which was whizzed off and mad,justifiably so, there was still the option of letting him run till he was caught......had that LEO taken that option we wouldn't be debating it and he would be home permanently with his family.....he chose to shoot out of anger IMO..

Not praising the BG, but he could have had a gun and the officer would of been dead..this BG was a criminal but not a threat to the officers life IMO
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:As civilians we are to deescalate while LE escalate. There were other options this officer could of taken, but in his frame of mind, which was whizzed off and mad,justifiably so, there was still the option of letting him run till he was caught......had that LEO taken that option we wouldn't be debating it and he would be home permanently with his family.....he chose to shoot out of anger IMO..
There is always the choice of just letting them flee. However, what crime will the perpetrator escalate to next? They are already ballsy enough to take an officer's taser. The same though comes in vehicle pursuits. What are they running from? What are they trying to hide?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Just guessing here but, this LEO did not look like any kind of slouch..He looked very capable of running this guy down IMO...he was angry and had cause to be...

Here's a dumb thought....if I was that angry I would want to get even with the BG up front and personally.....and by killing him would take away some of that joy..dumb I know..
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Just guessing here but, this LEO did not look like any kind of slouch..He looked very capable of running this guy down IMO...he was angry and had cause to be...

Here's a dumb thought....if I was that angry I would want to get even with the BG up front and personally.....and by killing him would take away some of that joy..dumb I know..
Subject had a deadly weapon. You meet deadly weapon with deadly weapon. The video is just one perspective/view. The prosecution has every legal right to decide to retry if they do not like the verdict of the jury, which is made up of the people picked at random.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Yes Yes and yes....he was also running like hell...
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Let's pump the brakes on all of these apologies for the guy who dumped 8 into a suspects back.

Let's remember that LEOs are only given Powers / Rights that We The People grant and WTP can only grant that which we posses:
...the self-governing people allow any government they may organize to possess, by grant from them, only the limited and few powers with which the people think the particular government may sensibly be entrusted in order to serve their purposes without endangering their rights--their liberties or freedoms. These powers constitute the "just powers" of government, as the Declaration of Independence phrases it. This is in keeping with the primary purpose for which the people organize governments: to make and keep these unalienable rights secure and most beneficial to themselves and to Posterity--time without end.
In short, if the common citizen is prohibited from filling that felon's back full of lead, so is the LEO, no matter how tempted any of us may have been.

Badges do not grant extra Rights relegating the common citizen to a second class citizen, thereby justifying a badge-ed official's destruction of a lower citizen.

The question is: Would a common citizen be justified in doing what we see on the video? Where's the line between self-defense and criminal personal vengeance, and was it crossed?

Justice is "blind", let us remember. It should not see a blue life, or a black life, or any thing but the facts as they apply to the law.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Just guessing here but, this LEO did not look like any kind of slouch..He looked very capable of running this guy down IMO...he was angry and had cause to be...

Subject had a deadly weapon. You meet deadly weapon with deadly weapon. The video is just one perspective/view. The prosecution has every legal right to decide to retry if they do not like the verdict of the jury, which is made up of the people picked at random.
Walter Scott had a weapon at the time he was shot?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I went back and looked at the video 3 more times.....if the officer was tased he sure did not show it...in any way.....after the shooting the officer did a sprint back to retrieve the taser. He did not show any inability to act. Even after all was calm the officer looked like he functioned normally.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:There is more evidence than a video, and videos don't always tell the whole story.

Obviously, the jury thought so, too. Malice aforethought was supposed to be a defining factor to murder. They could not find that. There evidently were 5 who could not decide on manslaughter, either. Looks like they did not see a relaxed, casual attitude in the officer.
You have hit on a key issue: "It's gotta be murder!" These cases are too often charged based on public emotion, not upon the elements of the crime. The prosecutor placates the angry mob by charging what the mob wants, not what he or she can actually prove. And then the mob is shocked that things didn't turn out the way they expected.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.