Cleveland police ch 5(ABC) schedule gun 'buyback' Sept 6

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Cleveland police ch 5(ABC) schedule gun 'buyback' Sept 6

Post by steves 50de »

Pecker wrote:I haven't seen any specifics on what dollar amounts of gift cards will be given out.
Most of the one's i have attended it was 50 for a pistol and 100 for a rifle in either a gas card or some other retailer.
Black Rifles Matter
diamondsun

Post by diamondsun »

If anyone from the SW corner of the state is wanting to head that way, my truck is down, so...1/2 the gas, a little company, and lunch on me to ride along.
To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I have heard on a number of occasions that these net a large amount of old guns out of attics. While most of those are truly worthless, many cheap firearms to begin with, there is always the occassional family that has no idea where the firearm came from.

From the viewpoint of an amateur historian, I find the prospect of destroying these guns has a certain probability of destroying potentially historical firearms. I wonder if there should be a requirement for anyone destroying large amounts of firearms to have them evaluated for historical significance and perhaps mandate they be turned over to a museum or historical society agreeing to maintain them for historical purposes. Sorry the thought of thoughtless destruction of old firearms just bothers me.

It also bothers me that stolen firearms will be destroyed rather than returned to their rightful owners.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I bought a Colt Agent revolver last year in almost new condition. I believe a Python was purchased also.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

catfish86 wrote: I wonder if there should be a requirement for anyone destroying large amounts of firearms to have them evaluated for historical significance and perhaps mandate they be turned over to a museum or historical society agreeing to maintain them for historical purposes. Sorry the thought of thoughtless destruction of old firearms just bothers me.

It also bothers me that stolen firearms will be destroyed rather than returned to their rightful owners.
I like the Georgia state law that all firearms acquired in a buyback MUST be resold.
http://buzzpo.com/gun-control-activist- ... auctioned/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gun control activist Nikki Watson is fuming tonight after buyback program guns she collected are auctioned off.

Under Georgia state law, guns collected must be returned to their rightful owner. If they’re not wanted or a search proves unsuccessful, the guns must either be retained in the departments inventory, or be auctioned off and shipped to a licensed FFL dealer.
Nikki Watson stated it was her goal to have these guns destroyed, and this feels like a slap in the face.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I think there will be plenty of the "public's" money there, , , ,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor wrote:
catfish86 wrote: I wonder if there should be a requirement for anyone destroying large amounts of firearms to have them evaluated for historical significance and perhaps mandate they be turned over to a museum or historical society agreeing to maintain them for historical purposes. Sorry the thought of thoughtless destruction of old firearms just bothers me.

I like the Georgia state law that all firearms acquired in a buyback MUST be resold.
http://buzzpo.com/gun-control-activist- ... auctioned/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gun control activist Nikki Watson is fuming tonight after buyback program guns she collected are auctioned off.

Under Georgia state law, guns collected must be returned to their rightful owner. If they’re not wanted or a search proves unsuccessful, the guns must either be retained in the departments inventory, or be auctioned off and shipped to a licensed FFL dealer.
Nikki Watson stated it was her goal to have these guns destroyed, and this feels like a slap in the face.
I think one of the firearm bills pending in Ohio is for that method. Also, if I recall, Kentucky went that way a few years ago. I think it allows them to be kept for training purposes still, which IMO, means Cleveland will need a larger armory as I doubt they would ever agree to the reselling, they'd just keep increasing storage and holding on to them.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

pirateguy191 wrote:I bought a Colt Agent revolver last year in almost new condition. I believe a Python was purchased also.
:twisted:
Black Rifles Matter
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Chuck wrote:I think there will be plenty of the "public's" money there, , , ,
Are you going to join the party with us. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

steves 50de wrote:
Wish I could, my friend
I'll be working the gun show in Columbus that day,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Chuck wrote:
steves 50de wrote:
Wish I could, my friend
They smell..........we don't.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

We will miss you chuck,...Is their anyone who plan's to video the buyback . :?:
Black Rifles Matter
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

How many guys on here have bought guns at these?

Wish they had one around here.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Chuck wrote:
steves 50de wrote:
Wish I could, my friend
You'll probably find better deals at the Gun 'buyback' that at the gunshow :)
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

BEAR! wrote:How many guys on here have bought guns at these?

Wish they had one around here.
A couple of us last year and I believe there was a group from Columbus at the one prior to that. Wasn't Mike Newbern involved in that one?