Colorado shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

747tech

Colorado shooting

Post by 747tech »

Was it ever reported how the shooter actually got into the theater?
Did he have help, block door open ?...
Media silence seems to be the order.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Colorado shooting

Post by TSiWRX »

There's some reports that mentioned he entered the theater, ticketed, rose and exited via the emergency exit that he later returned through.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

How did he defeat the alarm on the door which I'm sure it most assuredly had? Depressing the push-out bar on the emergency door to unlock it the first time would have triggered a very loud alarm that would have alerted management to its being opened. How could he have possibly obtained a key to silence it? This is a complete mystery to me and a question I have wondered ever since the details above were released. No way that door would not have had an alarm. It's a movie theatre. Anyone inside could let their friends in for free otherwise.
The British are going! The British are going!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ To that, I have no explanations. I also do not recall having seen any speculations towards that end via mainstream media.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

My understanding was that the door did not have an alarm and he just used something to block the door open when he went out to retrieve his guns, etc.. I have been in plenty of theaters that had one or more exits that did not have alarms. I read an article that said people were pushing for alarms after this incident.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Mobius wrote:My understanding was that the door did not have an alarm and he just used something to block the door open when he went out to retrieve his guns, etc.. I have been in plenty of theaters that had one or more exits that did not have alarms. I read an article that said people were pushing for alarms after this incident.
Not exits - emergency exits specifically. I would be interested in seeing the source for your understanding that the emergency door in Aurora did not have an alarm on the push out bar. If true, I consider that a ludicrous decision on the part of the theatre. Why would they not want to be alerted to an emergency? How could they control traffic through a door that could be opened by anyone in the theatre? Modern movie-plexes require patrons to exit through the lobby. Emergency door alarms are common-place in practically every public building. They are neither complicated or expensive. I find it hard to believe that Discount Drug Mart has them back by the dairy cooler, and a big mega-plex does not.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I asked the same question regarding the alarm and was told from multiple theater employees all the way up to management level that it is pretty standard in the industry to not alarm theater doors. The reason is then after the movie someone has to go down and turn the alarm off so that patrons can except without setting off the alarm. Therefore they are treated as general exits and not really emergency exits.

My opinion on the matter though is why do they not send an alert to the front desk which should know if the movie is in progress or ended. IMO, I just found a way to invite 100 friends into a movie for free now. :mrgreen: So who wants to go see 2016? :lol:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Meet my friend Google:
Through a spokesperson for its attorney, Cinemark, operator of the Century Aurora 16, declined to comment on whether the rear door that police say Holmes used was alarmed but disabled, but there is no indication it was. At another Cinemark theater, the Century 16 Bel Mar in Lakewood, the doors leading to parking lots are not alarmed and remained that way last week.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_21237833?source=bb
So as far as I'm concerned, the door Holmes used was not an emergency exit. It was just a "rear door" that's locked from the outside.

I'm down for a free viewing of 2016 then.
Last edited by muxtech on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

muxtech wrote: Modern movie-plexes require patrons to exit through the lobby.
Admittedly, I don't go to movies because they suck. But the few I have been to in the last few years, everyone exited through the lobby. I remember back in the day, exiting directly out of doors inside the theatre, but thought that was a thing of the past.

More google results:
The Holmes victim's mother, Shirley Wygal, is preparing to sue the Century 16 theater because her daughter, 32-year-old Rebecca Wingo, was killed during the violence. The mother has already found a lawyer and is currently preparing her case, according to TMZ.

Though the mother hasn't gone as far as to say the massacre was preventable, the lack of security around the exits, the lack of an alarm on emergency doors, and the lack of guards made the outcome of the incident worse.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/holme ... uit-79172/
They're not "emergency exits". They're just doors.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Here are a couple more:

This one just describes it as an exit door, not an emergency exit.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colora ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After the movie was under way, he went out a rear exit door, propping it open, and gathered weapons before re-entering through the door, the source said.
This one is a Cleveland reporters investigation.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/exit-d ... ie-theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
She walked into the darkened theater, no one else was inside so she approached the exit door. There were no signs indicating an alarm would sound, so she pushed open the door. Nothing happened.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

muxtech wrote:
muxtech wrote: Modern movie-plexes require patrons to exit through the lobby.
Admittedly, I don't go to movies because they suck. But the few I have been to in the last few years, everyone exited through the lobby. I remember back in the day, exiting directly out of doors inside the theatre, but thought that was a thing of the past.

More google results:
The Holmes victim's mother, Shirley Wygal, is preparing to sue the Century 16 theater because her daughter, 32-year-old Rebecca Wingo, was killed during the violence. The mother has already found a lawyer and is currently preparing her case, according to TMZ.

Though the mother hasn't gone as far as to say the massacre was preventable, the lack of security around the exits, the lack of an alarm on emergency doors, and the lack of guards made the outcome of the incident worse.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/holme ... uit-79172/
They're not "emergency exits". They're just doors.

I agree, I originally thought it was a thing of the past but have found that I guess people can still exit through them if they desire. I guess nobody does anymore though as I can't recall the last time I saw anyone exit through them. Seems to me they should all now be alarmed as an emergency exit only in this day and age.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

MegaMultiplex in Boardman has exits that go to a hallway that can take you either to the lobby, or to the parking lot.

A smidge more comfortable than going into the lobby when the place is full up.

We had another "major" theater (single screen, now a Burger King on the property) where I spent a lot of time as a youngster that had several exits of that type - no alarm, just out to the parking lot. Key required to enter, if you could at all.

I don't consider this all too unusual - especially the ones that go into an interior hallway. (Handy to a bathroom, too :D.)

What I don't like is the gunbuster signs :( .... Besides, with my 90 minute bladder and much longer movies, I generally don't go anymore. When Becka was tiny, we'd take her, but those kiddie movies are shorter....

The real point is the free fire zone.... The owners claim it's for our safety.... Sure....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
BobK

Post by BobK »

It is Bush's fault. :roll:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I'm sure the Theaters do the minimum to meet the fire code like any other business. The Exit alarms cost several hundred dollars a piece (what doesn't these days) and with the number of exit doors on the theaters that would add up to thousands of dollars rather quickly. To meet fire code they most likely have the pull alarms next to the doors. the door alarms are typically battery operated buzzers in a slam bar operated dead bolt. They do not typically report into any centralized panel that would be monitored from the lobby.

I've exited through other doors on multiple occasions, rather than track back through the theater lobby taking me in the opposite direction of the parking lot and my vehicle, I've exited out the doors a the end of the theater hall, that are close to the theater I'm in and closer to the parking lot and car.

Theaters not having these alarms doesn't surprise me in the least. If not required by code why would you spend the money ? Blaming the incident on lack of a door alarm is like saying it wouldn't have happened if we had magazine size restrictions. Maybe movie theaters should be required to install metal detectors, have explosive sniffing dogs, and put armed police officers in Every theater to keep us safe.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson