Suicide while cuffed and in back of cruiser?.?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SigMan

Suicide while cuffed and in back of cruiser?.?

Post by SigMan »

Read this in the paper today, link here
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/21/aut ... olice-car/
Despite what critics are calling an acute improbability with an implausible explanation, Arkansas officials have ruled the death of a 21-year-old man a suicide after he was found shot in the back of a police cruiser — even though he was handcuffed from behind and had been searched twice for weapons.
But the autopsy report, released Monday by the Arkansas State Crime Lab, backs up what police have said. It describes Carter as having marks on his hands consistent with being handcuffed and of an entrance wound to the right temple and an exit wound to the left. The report does not mention any gunshot residue found on his hands, which would be consistent with having fired a weapon. Nor does it place blame on anyone but Carter himself.
Searched twice, Cuffed from behind, put in the back of a cruiser and comes up with a pistol to shoot himself in the temple? No mention of GSR on his hands. Wouldn't that be pertinent information?

First thing that comes to my mind is......Trunk gun!

Discuss.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. - THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

You can have Freedom or Free things but not both, choose one!
wkdravenna

Re: Suicide while cuffed and in back of cruiser?.?

Post by wkdravenna »

Did I miss it ?

What Firearm was used ?

Whom did the firearm belong too ? (Legal, Stolen, Police Dept? )

Knowing what kind of gun it was would help.. Need more details.
Was it a North American Arms .22 Miniature Pistol or was it a Super Redhawk Alaskan. I am really curious, because it says they searched him twice that kind of detail that seems would help me out with this story.

Because it sounds fishy.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

No mention of what type of gun or whether there was a gun recovered either. If his hands were behind his back at the time he shot himself he would have to be one limber guy to get a handgun up for a straight temple to temple shot. Not going to say but until more information is released I'm kinda siding with the mother that some things dont make sense.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

Quite a lot of information missing there if that's all they're saying. o.o
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

There's a ton of questions on this one and it's definitely fishy IMO.

1) Nobody at the scene heard the gunshot?

2) The cruiser cam miraculously was not working during? However it was working prior to them placing him in the car and automatically started working again once discovered? But all the time in between is gone?

3) They said he was throroughly searched because they found a dime bag of drugs on him. Yet, they miss a gun?

4) He was left handed yet shot himself in the right side of the head?

Something happened and someone is big time covering their button. Almost sounds like a Katrina type incident.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JediSkipdogg wrote:There's a ton of questions on this one and it's definitely fishy IMO.

1) Nobody at the scene heard the gunshot?

2) The cruiser cam miraculously was not working during? However it was working prior to them placing him in the car and automatically started working again once discovered? But all the time in between is gone?

3) They said he was throroughly searched because they found a dime bag of drugs on him. Yet, they miss a gun?

4) He was left handed yet shot himself in the right side of the head?

Something happened and someone is big time covering their button. Almost sounds like a Katrina type incident.
Stop all of this cop bashing?

I'm sure it was some easily concealed handgun... like a Mauser Broomhandle...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The guy was a CIA operative who was eliminated by a sniper from a roof top so he wouldn't tell the police where he got the dime bag from....
I would believe that before I would believe the police report.... :roll:

Patiently awaiting more info....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

While this video demonstrates that it is surprisingly plausible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA37LxlzLVQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It still doesn't excuse that this man died while in Police custody and was able to not only continue to have access to a firearm but also appears he may have been loosely cuffed. Someone screwed up at the very least... I wonder if the bullet passed through his head and up through the roof of the cruiser or more at a horizontal or downward direction? That might help shed some light on what likely happened.

And why haven't they released the dash cam video recording of the shot's actually happening?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Klingon00 wrote:And why haven't they released the dash cam video recording of the shot's actually happening?
Supposedly they have. What I read somewhere was it recorded till they placed him in the cruiser the miraculous stopped working and only started again when officers opened the door and discovered him dead. It's unknown if the system didn't record it or if the police edited it. Police at this time are claiming its not edited but can't answer where the missing video is.

Here's the problem with their re-enactment. This guy was supposedly left handed. Therefore wouldn't one assume he would go for the gun with his left hand and shoot in his left temple? Yes, anything is possible, but logic would say he would go left hand left head and not switch hands at all.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Here's the problem with their re-enactment. This guy was supposedly left handed. Therefore wouldn't one assume he would go for the gun with his left hand and shoot in his left temple? Yes, anything is possible, but logic would say he would go left hand left head and not switch hands at all.
Unless maybe he fumbled getting it out of where it was concealed and it fell on the seat to his right and he had to retrieve it with his right hand and saw the PO'S approaching him not giving him time to switch back to his left. I see this as a factor of using the first hand of opportunity. Someone that is going to take themselves out of the equation isn't going to worry about what hand he should use. Just my .02¢…
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
docachna

Post by docachna »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Klingon00 wrote:And why haven't they released the dash cam video recording of the shot's actually happening?
Supposedly they have. What I read somewhere was it recorded till they placed him in the cruiser the miraculous stopped working and only started again when officers opened the door and discovered him dead. It's unknown if the system didn't record it or if the police edited it. Police at this time are claiming its not edited but can't answer where the missing video is.
I'm having flashbacks to Rosemary Woods leaning from her desk to a tape recorder, showing the press how supposedly she erased 18 & 1/2 minutes of audio tape of Nixon in the White House.... :oops:

This is almost that believable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

New info coming out is even more puzzling and the media either hasn't asked or hasn't been given the full info. They now say he made a phone call to his girlfriend from the back of the cruiser saying he had a gun. So, did they leave a cell phone with a prisoner in the rear of a car with his hands cuffed behind him or did they fail to find that as well? So now he had botha gun and a cell phone hidden up his butt that they failed to find? :roll:

Also, no GSR was found on either of his hands. I wasn't aware that it would be possible for no GSR to exist especially if no cleaning has been done to the body.

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I'm watching Anderson Cooper on CNN and there was a news report that officials investigating this matter. Officials said the guy's girlfriend had shared with them the following: she had earlier received a telephone call from him and he said he was carrying a gun. That bit of information could resolve the conundrum of where the gun came from.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'm a southpaw and shoot almost exclusively with my right hand so I don't think we need to lose sleep about that part of the issue.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Apparently there is a LEO on that dept. that has no feelings in his hands and is blind....searched twice...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens