Temple massacre has some Sikhs mulling gun ownership

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Nice article..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/21/te ... p=trending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Read the full article for the opposing views, and Mayor Bloomberg quotes

The Sikh temple massacre prompted calls for stricter gun control, but some members of the India-based faith -- who carry ceremonial knives -- are considering taking up firearms in light of the tragedy.

Sikhs are rattled after the horrific Aug. 5 shooting in Oak Creek, Wis., in which Wade Michael Page opened fire for no apparent reason before a police officer gunned him down. Although the religion teaches tolerance and good deeds, some believe arming themselves could be the best protection against hate crimes that have too frequently been perpetrated by assailants who mistake them for Muslims.
“The way the world is changing, I think I need to think about carrying a gun now,” Rajwinder Singh, the President of a Sikh Temple in Las Vegas, told FoxNews.com.

The Sikh religion requires males to carry a dagger -- known as a “Kirpan” -- for the protection of themselves and others, at all times.

“Our prophet said we should protect ourselves, and protect those who cannot defend themselves. He made sure that every [Sikh man] should carry a weapon,” Rajwinder Singh said.
Sim Singh, however, said that he personally carries a gun because he cannot rely on police arriving soon enough.

“Sometimes the police are not able to arrive in time,” Sim Singh said.

“I do not believe stronger gun control is the right solution, as it ends up hurting the law-abiding citizens from having the option to defend themselves with guns when necessary.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Klingon00

Re: Temple massacre has some Sikhs mulling gun ownership

Post by Klingon00 »

I'm surprised more aren't carrying already. Self defense and the defense of others is a tenet of the religion, hence why they carry knives and knuckleduster bracelets. It seems that they may be on to something... ceremonial handguns? :) Makes good sense to me!
SigMan

Post by SigMan »

Still, some Sikhs support stricter gun laws in the hope that it will prevent dangerous people from getting guns. Sim J. Singh and Rajwinder Singh both said that reliable background checks and some limits on firepower seemed reasonable. Others went further.

Really?
“A gun can harm somebody. I never even think about owning a gun,” said Maninder Arora, a practicing Sikh in Hartford, Conn., who owns a Liberty Tax Services franchise.
Last I checked a gun can not jump up and harm anyone, it takes someone behind the gun. Unreal people cant see this.
“I know the gun lobby is strong. But at least they should put restrictions on the size of the gun, or the quantity of guns. My cousins -- they have 3 or 4 guns, which is not right,” he added, saying that he would rather put his faith in the legal system.
Ok. Nothing legal besides .22 rimfire, those wont kill anyone :roll: .
3 or 4 guns not right? Good thing she don't know me.
Yup typical sheeple.

There's so much fail in that article it's absurd.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. - THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

You can have Freedom or Free things but not both, choose one!
SigMan

Post by SigMan »

Bruenor wrote:Nice article..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/21/te ... p=trending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Read the full article for the opposing views, and Mayor Bloomberg quotes
...and there is NO way i'm going to read the quotes of that idiot.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. - THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

You can have Freedom or Free things but not both, choose one!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Likewise, their Kirpans could jump up and harm someone. Now that I know these folks are shanked-up, I shall be very cautious if amongst them...