An interesting example of trigger discipline

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

An interesting example of trigger discipline

Post by NavyChief »

Even though we've been back in Ohio for 5½ years, I still use "News4Jax" in Jacksonville FL as my home page. I just noticed this piece on an armed robbery in Lake City. Look closely at the first two pictures...

http://www.news4jax.com/news/-/475880/1 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Tweed Ring

Re: An interesting example of trigger discipline

Post by Tweed Ring »

Under served, impulsive, disenfranchised, merry urban yutes, redistributing the wealth, albeit with a dearth of trigger control.
SigMan

Post by SigMan »

I also noticed in the second picture the yute in front of the counter has one of those fancy guns with sights on the side of the slide :roll: .
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. - THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

You can have Freedom or Free things but not both, choose one!
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I simply found it interesting that in both pictures - with both unfortunate and underprivileged youths - the trigger finger was extended along the side of the firearm. Actually, interesting isn't the right word. I was surprised.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

SigMan wrote:I also noticed in the second picture the yute in front of the counter has one of those fancy guns with sights on the side of the slide :roll: .
Yeah, but I daresay at that range the sights might be optional.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

NavyChief wrote:I simply found it interesting that in both pictures - with both unfortunate and underprivileged youths - the trigger finger was extended along the side of the firearm. Actually, interesting isn't the right word. I was surprised.
Even in the "urban" community, "Glocking yourself" isn't an unknown. People who routinely pocket-carry their Glocks (yes, even full-sized 17s) know well not to keep anything else in that pocket, and those who favor waistband carry know that as they "draw" the gun, to keep that trigger finger away from the waistband. For lack of better words, it's simply common sense.

One of my favorite pistol instructors, when speaking of street criminals, strikes the following analogy:

You all know that absolute moron at work, right? But he's been doing his job for some 20-odd years, so he's actually pretty good at it, right? Same idea.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Some bad guys learn good technique from watching television. Many of the cops I worked with in Iraq hated the show "COPS" as the show tended to expose some police techniques.

In the Red Zone, we carried Beretta's and our Iraqi's carried, and periodically shot themselves, with Glocks.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Tweed Ring wrote:Some bad guys learn good technique from watching television.

:) Sorry, couldn't help it. :)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

TSiWRX wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:Some bad guys learn good technique from watching television.

:) Sorry, couldn't help it. :)

Nope. No way. Never, ever, taught throwing the baton along the ground to supposedly easily trip the bad guy so he falls down.

No sense throwing away a perfectly good baton. Lots of potential liability.

Moreover, if the bad guy picks up the thrown baton, now he has...a perfectly good baton.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Tweed Ring wrote: Nope. No way. Never, ever, taught throwing the baton along the ground to supposedly easily trip the bad guy so he falls down.
Ahhh - but you're not James Tiberius "TJ" Hookirk! :wink:
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

No, but much, much better trained with the PR-24 Baton.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Tweed Ring wrote:No, but much, much better trained with the PR-24 Baton.
I'd end up hitting myself in the head with a PR-24. I am (well, was, anyway) reasonably adept with an ASP, though.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Tweed Ring wrote: Nope. No way. Never, ever, taught throwing the baton along the ground to supposedly easily trip the bad guy so he falls down.

No sense throwing away a perfectly good baton. Lots of potential liability.

Moreover, if the bad guy picks up the thrown baton, now he has...a perfectly good baton.
:)

Costa had some fun with us when we joked about throwing our knives at the BG. He gave us the tip that if we ever saw one coming our way, to always expect two more: why? because you always see them being sold in those forearm-sheath three-packs! :P :lol:
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

SigMan wrote:I also noticed in the second picture the yute in front of the counter has one of those fancy guns with sights on the side of the slide :roll: .
Actually, it has been theorized that this is the situation which gave rise to the "gangsta grip." It's really the only convenient way to keep the muzzle on the cashier if you're on the other side of the counter and the cashier is hunkered down on the floor. The theory is that Hollywood directors studied security videos and concluded, "That must be how 'gangstas' hold a pistol!" :lol:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.