Video captures Michigan man's shooting by police

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: Video captures Michigan man's shooting by police

Post by BobK »

Anyone who pulls a knife or a gun on a cop loses his right to not get shot.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
SigMan

Post by SigMan »

BobK wrote:Anyone who pulls a knife or a gun on a cop loses his right to not get shot.
+100,000, and i'd replace "a cop" with "me" too :wink:
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. - THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

You can have Freedom or Free things but not both, choose one!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I watched the video on CNN.

I used to train LEO's as follows:

In potential physical confrontation, if the opponent has no obvious weapon, utilize a baton restraining or striking technique.

In potential physical confrontation, if the opponent has a knife, or bludgeon-type object, be prepared to utilize the firearm.

Man in the instant situation was told to drop his knife, and told more than once. I just don't see the percentage of a cop getting injured, or a police K-9 being cut. There's a time to drop the knife - that time is when the officer tells you to drop the knife.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

BobK wrote:Anyone who pulls a knife or a gun on a cop loses his right to not get shot.
I don't believe this can be a blanket statement, given the behavior of some officers/departments.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

jabeatty wrote:
I don't believe this can be a blanket statement, given the behavior of some officers/departments.
At this point in time, I think anyone honestly defending himself from a rogue cop will end up dead. He may be in the right, but he will still be dead.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
BobK

Post by BobK »

jabeatty wrote:
Well, I am reminded of the old canard, "all generalizations are false, including this one".

But the percentages are pretty high.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

The shooting looks justified for sure, looks like they kept shooting for a bit after he was on the ground though.

What I don't understand is why they even stood there and argued with him, there was plenty of officers there to provide cover while something a little less lethal was deployed. Would've saved them a lot of trouble now.

But I can understand their reaction, he was certainly close enough to do some damage with a knife. Very stressful situation for sure, lot of adrenaline, hence the extra shots after he was down.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Is it just me, or did the video show the guy walking away from the police right before they opened fire?
I've had consistently good results with ether.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Bianchi? wrote:Is it just me, or did the video show the guy walking away from the police right before they opened fire?
That's what I saw, but was there another officer in the direction he was walking?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

We know for every action there is a reaction.....

Shoot the perp with the knife and watch the reaction...Not use him for target practice..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

carmen fovozzo wrote:..I was watching Cops last night and there was a video of 2 LEOS pulling over a car...Can't recall exactly who was in the car but I think 2 teenagers, one female one male....No problem till the LEOS opened the trunk and saw another teen pointing a gun at them. Leos drew their weapons, one had his gun about afoot from the teen but did not shoot...The Leos backed off and teen got out of the trunk and started firing at the LEOS.......The Leos at no time fired their weapons and ended up arresting the misguided teen.....
That was IMO good police work.......I believe this happens more then the shootings we hear about in the media when the LEOS fire off multiple rounds and IMO take the easy way out......
Sounds like those cops need retrained or put somewhere else before they get themselves or someone else killed
Come and get'em
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

When a bad guy points a firearm at a police officer, that bad guy has established the fact that he is a danger to those in proximity to him. Typically, in such confrontations, the police act swiftly and appropriately to eliminate the immediate threat. That is the threat to the officers, and to any citizens who may be nearby.
Vex

Post by Vex »

carmen fovozzo wrote:We know for every action there is a reaction.....

Shoot the perp with the knife and watch the reaction...Not use him for target practice..
I have mixed feelings on the video, too. The guy has a knife, he walks toward an officer... fine, good shoot.

However, once shot the guy slumps to the ground, and you hear one moron shooting 8-10 rounds AFTER everyone else has stopped shooting, after the guy is on the ground. That's bad training. When the guy with the knife is on the ground, you stop shooting, reassess the threat, give commands again, and be prepared to deal with the threat if he tries to get up. The situation is obviously different if the bad guy has a gun, but that's not what happened in this situation.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

"Wow", so none of the officer's was equiped with a taser or a shotgun with bean bag load's.After the first command to drop the knife he should of bin taszed,...end of problem and he's cuffed and in the cruiser.IMO trigger happy big time.In the video he is walking to the railroad tie curb around the tree maybe he wanted to sit down and talk,... look's like he did'nt make it that far. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
Vex

Post by Vex »

steves 50de wrote:"Wow", so none of the officer's was equiped with a taser or a shotgun with bean bag load's.After the first command to drop the knife he should of bin taszed,...end of problem and he's cuffed and in the cruiser.IMO trigger happy big time.In the video he is walking to the railroad tie curb around the tree maybe he wanted to sit down and talk,... look's like he did'nt make it that far. :roll:
Standard procedure and Taser International's training specifically prohibits using a taser (21-25 feet distance) against someone armed with a lethal weapon. I know this may seem a little barbaric, but you have to understand when you close the gap to deploy a taser, you're putting yourself in unnecessary jeopardy. If the taser misses or is not effective, now you're well within the kill range (21 feet, as it happens).

Bean bag shotguns are really nice, but not many people are trained to use them... figure less than 2% of all peace officers, honestly. Less lethal training for tactical instruments, which includes bean bags, flash bangs, and tear gas grenades, are usually reserved for SWAT teams. Furthermore, most departments won't equip every cruiser with a less lethal shotgun. Per the training, we never put less lethal rounds in a regular shotgun.

Anyway, there was a police officer around the corner. When the bad guy started walking, the officers were justified in initially shooting to defend the life of the officer in jeopardy. Real life is not Hollywood, and it's not viable to negotiate with armed bad guys.

Lesson: When the police say drop the knife, you drop the knife.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu