Summit County Sheriff Supports 2A, but...

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Regal Beagle

Summit County Sheriff Supports 2A, but...

Post by Regal Beagle »

AKRON, Ohio - Summit County Sheriff Drew Alexander said he's concerned about a surge in the number of residents applying for a carrying concealed weapon permit.

"I think you have to understand in today's society, we don't know who is carrying weapons out there," Alexander said.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... cw-permits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
curmudgeon3

Re: Summit County Sheriff Supports 2A, but...

Post by curmudgeon3 »

He "supports the 2A but" ...... that's sure becoming a worn out refrain in certain circles.
Last edited by curmudgeon3 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Elected official w/foot in both camps.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Regal Beagle wrote:"I think you have to understand in today's society, we don't know who is carrying weapons out there," Alexander said.
What makes him think he ever knew who is carrying weapons out there?

Why is "He supports the 2nd amendment" always followed by the word but?

Constitutional carry is the answer!!!!!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Toby Hoover is right, we need to get rid of concealed carry laws.

:lol:

constitutional carry.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Regal Beagle wrote:AKRON, Ohio - Summit County Sheriff Drew Alexander said he's concerned about a surge in the number of residents applying for a carrying concealed weapon permit.

"I think you have to understand in today's society, we don't know who is carrying weapons out there," Alexander said.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... cw-permits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The average citizen that' getting their CCW license out there doesn't have the firearms training that a lot of NRA members and law enforcement officers have," Alexander said.
"Officer Safety" is job one and the "average citizen" getting the CCW isn't making Alexander safer. Or is he implying that carrying puts officers in a defensive posture, as though they were encountering a criminal?

Take Bloomberg's advice Sheriff Alexander, strike until only the criminals have guns. Then you'd be safe to shoot back.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

WestonDon wrote:
Regal Beagle wrote:"I think you have to understand in today's society, we don't know who is carrying weapons out there," Alexander said.
What makes him think he ever knew who is carrying weapons out there? ....
His Spidey Sense must be tingling an awful lot with these new CHL carriers or something. The fact is he never "knew" who was carrying. The only thing a CHL changes is now he has a better idea of who is carrying LEGALLY. :P
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

I wonder if ye olde sheriff is going to take the full 45 days to approve the new CHLs or maybe more than 45 days?
Come and get'em
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

I was at Pro Armament when they were shooting that and I asked the guys behind the counter if they knew if the piece would be pro 2A or biased. They said it was supposed to be on the surge in CCWs.

However I did not like the piece- the sheriff being "concerned" with the increase, pretty much saying the average joe shouldn't be able to get their license after a mere 12 hours of training and that the police get 80 hours.

Also didn't like the part about stronger background checks including talking to neighbors, friends, family, and employer. Said that's what they do for police officers before they are hired. I was just thinking how awful that would be. My neighbors don't know me, I am estranged from many of my family, and I don't want to be outed to my employer. So would I have been denied a CHL due to an "insufficient background check".

Oh well.. sorry for the vent- I just knew it wasn't going to be that informative of a piece when I saw the guy filming at the range and not really talking to anyone there, just making sure he got the wall of rifles and the guy in the next lane with an AR (which was actually just a dedicated .22 that looked like an AR).
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

TKshooter wrote:Also didn't like the part about stronger background checks including talking to neighbors, friends, family, and employer. Said that's what they do for police officers before they are hired.
I might be willing to go along with that in exchange for:
  • automatic presumption that ANY shootings by me are justified
  • automatic presumption that ANY statements I make are truthful
  • free legal representation in the event of a shooting
  • paid time off in the event of a shooting
  • "retraining" (or "disability" retirement) in lieu of prosecution for violations of the law, including use of deadly force
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
slowquest

Post by slowquest »

Don't forget the additional places you must be allowed to carry also......
“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

...he part about stronger background checks including talking to neighbors, friends, family, and employer. Said that's what they do for police officers before they are hired.
This is adjacent to the county where they gave Harless a gun and badge? Worked so well there..... :evil:

Ken
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

Did the sleaze piece actually say "The law allowing carry in bars and restaurants has led to a 40% jump in ccw permits"
Maybe Summit county citizens are more concerned with the out of control, idiotic thugs running around the area and not so much concerned with Batman
Maybe Summit county has went back to the Sheriff Cardarelli days and needs more guns to sell?
Come and get'em
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

deanimator wrote:
TKshooter wrote:Also didn't like the part about stronger background checks including talking to neighbors, friends, family, and employer. Said that's what they do for police officers before they are hired.
I might be willing to go along with that in exchange for:
  • automatic presumption that ANY shootings by me are justified
  • automatic presumption that ANY statements I make are truthful
  • free legal representation in the event of a shooting
  • paid time off in the event of a shooting
  • "retraining" (or "disability" retirement) in lieu of prosecution for violations of the law, including use of deadly force
Don't forget the free ammo. :D
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB