Investigation Reveals More Than 600 Invalid CCW Permits

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jabeatty

Re: Investigation Reveals More Than 600 Invalid CCW Permits

Post by jabeatty »

Shadow wrote:I always remind instructors that, in Ohio, at least 2 hours of range time are required in a 12 hours class.

That doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't, do more than 2 hours on the range.
As long as your range time also meets the statutory requirements listed below, you're correct:
(a) At least ten hours of training on the following matters:

(i) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

(ii) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;

(iii) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;

(iv) Gun handling training.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Shadow wrote:Students should be trained to the point they can shoot an IDPA or IPSC match and not get bounced. They don't have to win, just finish the match and place.

I just get sick when people tell me they only shot 20-30 rounds in their class.
Both my wife and I were quite capable of demonstrating that we could handle our firearms with only 20-30 rounds. Instructors complimented both of us (he told my wife that I must have trained her well.)

So you feel that people should not be able to defend themselves or utilize their Second Amendment rights (?) if they can't run through an IDPA match? Where in the Bill of Rights does it say that one should only be allowed arms if they can compete in a match? :(

How often have we seen a CHL holder recklessly utilize his firearm in an untrained way? Not to pick on LEOs but it seems that the majority of the stories we hear of negligent gun handling are from people who have a lot more training than the 12 hour Ohio required class.

Ken
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

2 hours of range time does not equal 2 hours on the line shooting!
How many of you actually spent the total 2 hours on the line at your CHL class?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

My range portion typically runs about 3 hours. Students shoot their own guns two handed, one hand strong handed, one hand weak handed and for those who I feel it's safe, I ask if they want to shoot from the hip.

After everyone shows the ability to safely hit the target, we then share guns so they can get a better idea of different platforms. I will NEVER rush anybody off the range after two hours.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Shadow wrote:I always remind instructors that, in Ohio, at least 2 hours of range time are required in a 12 hours class.

That doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't, do more than 2 hours on the range.

A lot of classes are taught by person laboring under the misunderstanding that 2 hours of range time and 10 hours of class are required.
Yeah, come pay me more money for more range time and more class time, since you're a conscientious shooter who is taking this class to better yourself, not just to do whatever the State says you have to do in order to qualify for your inalienable Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Why not make it a 5 day course while you're at it, serve lunch, and include a lecture on fractional reserve banking? That's one business model.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Cruiser wrote:2 hours of range time does not equal 2 hours on the line shooting!
How many of you actually spent the total 2 hours on the line at your CHL class?
If I told students to bring ammo for two hours of shooting I don't think I'd ever have another student. I know in 2 hours for me on a good day of shooting, that could easily be 200-300 rounds if I throw some rapid fire and mag changes in there.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Two groups of five for practice, and one group of five for record. Fifteen rounds total. :|
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Two groups of five for practice, and one group of five for record. Fifteen rounds total. :|
Mine shoot about 75 rounds. I tell them to bring 100 and then if they don't mind we have a free for all shoot where if others allow, they can let other students fire their handguns to see if it's something they may like to buy. I shoot in groups of 3 students as I find that number the easiest to get through everyone and it's an easy number to keep an eye on everyone at once.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I do small classes. My largest so far has been six students. They are on the line one at a time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

I assumed this was all about selling certs, however we had one fo the students come in, with the letter asking if they could be booked into our next class.

We have them booked in. They said they had the full class and range time from these guys.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;