Nephew, uncle struggle, gun goes off - Geneva Ohio

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Nephew, uncle struggle, gun goes off - Geneva Ohio

Post by Bruenor »

The younger guy had a permit, but apparently not the brains to go with it.

http://starbeacon.com/local/x1841413190 ... n-goes-off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

July 27, 2012
A witness said the uncle was suspected of stealing gasoline and money from the family, and the nephews decided to confront him.

The dispute quickly escalated into a physical match. The uncle allegedly grabbed the neck of the nephew who had the gun and also attempted to gain control of the pistol. The older man’s head struck a window during the altercation.

Both men had a hand on the gun and the nephew stated that when he felt the hammer engage, he pointed the revolver toward the ground.
The gun owner also had a concealed carry weapon permit from Lake County. The permit has been suspended as a result of the incident.

The 26-year-old faces a felonious assault charge.
What was that key item.. you must NOT be the instigator or aggressor in a situation.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Nephew, uncle struggle, gun goes off - Geneva Ohio

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The article didn't say whether the gun became involved prior to the uncle attacking the nephew.

How sould one handle this situation?

Would you disarm and then talk to the uncle about suspecting him of theft?

If you simply asked him about it, as opposed to aggressively confronting him, would that really be considered instigating the situation?

If I ask a nutjob "What time is it?" and he starts attacking me, can I not defend myself?

Serious questions.
MyWifeSaidYes