WWII Vet attacked in Beirut...I mean Chicago

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wobblygoblin

WWII Vet attacked in Beirut...I mean Chicago

Post by wobblygoblin »

Pathetic...this 88 year old WWII vet is robbed by three scumbags.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 8549.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
Tweed Ring

Re: WWII Vet attacked in Beirut...I mean Chicago

Post by Tweed Ring »

Good thing this attack happened on Monday, as this past weekend was deemed a "Weekend of Peace" by over 70 Cook County ministers. Muggers must have read the memo.
djom1cincy

Post by djom1cincy »

That's just sick. I hope the three punks don't make it out of jail walking.
Daniel
U.S.M.C. 96-00
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

My 92-year old dad has been mugged 3 times in the last 2 years. He is WWII vet. 5 years ago, he and my mom were robbed inside their home by 3 Trayvon Martin look-a-likes. No tears shed if someone ever blows them away. Unfortunately my dad tried to get his CHL last week, but flunked because he couldn't stay awake the whole 3 hours of the course. He blames it on the fact that he was assaulted the night before, but much is do to his arrogant and "I know everything" attitude which makes it hard to be instructed. He is a smart man (he invented the old Downy Ball that you would put in your washer to dispence fabric softener - now kinda obselete), but there is smart and there is WISE...

Still this speaks volumes of our society.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Tweed Ring wrote:Good thing this attack happened on Monday, as this past weekend was deemed a "Weekend of Peace" by over 70 Cook County ministers. Muggers must have read the memo.
THAT worked out just great for them, eh? Mayor Emmanuel said "please don't shoot kids!" Well, there ya go! That's a crime-stopper if I ever heard it.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

dcludwig wrote:My 92-year old dad has been mugged 3 times in the last 2 years. He is WWII vet. 5 years ago, he and my mom were robbed inside their home by 3 Trayvon Martin look-a-likes. No tears shed if someone ever blows them away. Unfortunately my dad tried to get his CHL last week, but flunked because he couldn't stay awake the whole 3 hours of the course. He blames it on the fact that he was assaulted the night before, but much is do to his arrogant and "I know everything" attitude which makes it hard to be instructed. He is a smart man (he invented the old Downy Ball that you would put in your washer to dispence fabric softener - now kinda obselete), but there is smart and there is WISE...

3 hours? Don't you mean 12 hours?
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Tourist wrote:
dcludwig wrote:My 92-year old dad has been mugged 3 times in the last 2 years. He is WWII vet. 5 years ago, he and my mom were robbed inside their home by 3 Trayvon Martin look-a-likes. No tears shed if someone ever blows them away. Unfortunately my dad tried to get his CHL last week, but flunked because he couldn't stay awake the whole 3 hours of the course. He blames it on the fact that he was assaulted the night before, but much is do to his arrogant and "I know everything" attitude which makes it hard to be instructed. He is a smart man (he invented the old Downy Ball that you would put in your washer to dispence fabric softener - now kinda obselete), but there is smart and there is WISE...

3 hours? Don't you mean 12 hours?
No, sadly it was 3 hours a day for 2 days, then range time. He IS 92 and while I understand the one day where he had been mugged the night before, I don't excuse sleeping on BOTH days. I called the range and spoke with the instructor. She was very nice about it and seemed really disappointed that my dad didn't pass, but said he had fallen asleep both days. My mom passed away last year and he fills much of his empty time with TV, sometimes staying up very late at night. Thats all fine and good unless you have an IMPORTANT CLASS the next day. He lives near Good Sam Hospital in Dayton. Anyone from this area knows that is a combat zone, but he refuses to move. Unfortunately, he now has no means to defend himself. While I fault my dad for not being prepared for the class, the Trayvon Martin look-a-likes that mugged him are the true guilty parties, no doubt about that. He has a huge target on his back right now and it is so frustrating not being able to do anything about it.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Too bad about your father's class. I've had elderly students and those know-it-all students, and elderly know-it-all students. Just gotta' work with them to ensure they pass the class. Deal with the sleepers, and contain the know-it-all students. Just difficult, not impossible.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Tweed Ring wrote:Too bad about your father's class. I've had elderly students and those know-it-all students, and elderly know-it-all students. Just gotta' work with them to ensure they pass the class. Deal with the sleepers, and contain the know-it-all students. Just difficult, not impossible.
I agree with difficult but not impossible. Good for you for making the effort for them. Honestly, I wouldn't want my father to carry if I thought he was incompetent. But sometimes arrogance trumps competency. Do you ever do one-on-one's?? I know there can't be profit in that. My brother knows someone in Ashland who might do that, but my father needs to "get his head straight" before I think about driving him up there. The truly sad thing we all (6 brothers) wait for the call from the sheriff saying my father has been beat to death. How agonizing that is.... how frustrating...

Anyway, again, good for you for dealing with the difficult students. Takes more patience than I possess, I think.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF

GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

The 2 good Samaritans should have dealt with the 3 idiots, they did work for a meat distributor sooooo :)
Come and get'em
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

dcludwig wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:Too bad about your father's class. I've had elderly students and those know-it-all students, and elderly know-it-all students. Just gotta' work with them to ensure they pass the class. Deal with the sleepers, and contain the know-it-all students. Just difficult, not impossible.
I agree with difficult but not impossible. Good for you for making the effort for them. Honestly, I wouldn't want my father to carry if I thought he was incompetent. But sometimes arrogance trumps competency. Do you ever do one-on-one's?? I know there can't be profit in that. My brother knows someone in Ashland who might do that, but my father needs to "get his head straight" before I think about driving him up there. The truly sad thing we all (6 brothers) wait for the call from the sheriff saying my father has been beat to death. How agonizing that is.... how frustrating...

Anyway, again, good for you for dealing with the difficult students. Takes more patience than I possess, I think.
Take a look at the PM I just sent to you. If we can work something out, schedule-wise, I'll comp the class for your Dad.
BobK

Post by BobK »

He could take the online training class for a non-resIdent VA license at his own pace, no shooting required, and be legal in Ohio. Alternatives ...
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

BK; would you have any idea of the total cost of the Virginia non-resident CHL training and license?
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

I feel for you my mom is very close to that age. I do want to say IMO there are still measures that can be taken.Video cameras add time to recognize a threat Shucks,l your dad might find it amusing as TV . Also I might add the cheap door trip alarms can help. Maybe ward off a uncommitted threat. None of these should provide a false sense of security. Keep thinking, be proactive

Unfortunately, he now has no means to defend himself. While I fault my dad for not being prepared for the class, the Trayvon Martin look-a-likes that mugged him are the true guilty parties, no doubt about that. He has a huge target on his back right now and it is so frustrating not being able to do anything about it.
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

Truly a disgusting story. Just breaks my heart reading it. =(
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine