Stolen Cruiser, Shots fired

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: Stolen Cruiser, Shots fired

Post by djthomas »

SeafoodGuy wrote:It's a felony after proven in a court of law, unless officers can decide a person is guilty on the spot.
No, it's a felony as soon as it happens. The officers develop probable cause to effect the arrest, which clearly existed here. Legal guilt or innocence will be determined in court beyond a reasonable doubt. That doesn't dictate how officers respond to the situation in front of them because they only need probable cause. Tennessee v. Garner allows officers to use deadly force only to prevent escape if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.
SeafoodGuy wrote:I'd argue that stealing a marked police cruiser is one thing, but using the firearms inside the vehicle is another. Wouldn't you have to prove that he stole the vehicle with intention of using the firearms on police officers?
No, you just have to show that you had probable cause to believe that the suspect posed a significant threat of death or serious injury to another person. In most cruisers the shotgun and AR are fully loaded and sit right next to the driver. The guy was deranged enough to steal a cruiser so it's not necessary to rely on his good graces to not use them. Having just committed a felony he's fleeing the scene and he is armed with loaded long guns. That's all you need.
SeafoodGuy wrote:Nonetheless, she was way too far away to even get a good shot at him or the tires. This isn't Hollywood, and she was under intense stress, so I'm going to say that her aim was quite shaky. Because she's going to be known as the one that had her cruiser stolen.
Like I said earlier you can be justified in using deadly force but unjustified in how you apply it. That could well be the case here. Our range instructor always reminds everybody that you are 100% accountable for every bullet from the time it's issued to you to the time it's dug out of whatever you shot. You might be 100% justified in using deadly force but because you can't use that force without endangering others you can't.
Last edited by djthomas on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

And just a note, the suspected car thief is also a suspect in the burglary / shooting / possible murder / the police were there investigating in the first place.

Questions Remain Unanswered After Police-Involved Shootings
Thomas was carrying a gun and during a confrontation with police, an officer fired his weapon. It is not known if he was shot by the officer's gunfire, or while he was still inside the apartment.

According to the Fairfield County Coroner's Office, Thomas sustained two gunshot wounds – one to the hip and one to the chest. The coroner said the chest wound was fatal.

About five hours later, police spotted the two possible suspects from the burglary.

One of the suspects allegedly stole a police cruiser in the area of Tussing Road and Penobscott.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Guy is pond scum, and I cannot work up any concern for him. I'm not pleased with the officer leaving her cruiser in such a state that he could drive it away. I think she has to answer for her lapse in judgement. As for her firing her weapon, I believe there will be administrative oversight.
BobK

Post by BobK »

I like the alternate legal standard: "Did the bad guy need shootin'?"

Yep, he sure did. Next?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

I have a 6th Circuit Appeals Court decision saved at work that revolves around a case like this. They ruled the shooting justified and worded it much better than I can. I'll try to remember to find it when I go back to work.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
huskybiker

Post by huskybiker »

"Justified" or not...... :shock: Holy crap, was that both negligent AND dangerous! This isn't Dodge City.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Without going into too much detail, Columbus PD seriously screwed this one up. The kid who was robbed and ended up getting shot by the officer could have been avoided if they had done their job correctly. Sadly, nothing much will happen from it.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

This sounds pretty screwy. The Royal Columbus Division of Authority is really dragging their feet on answering what happend. How is something "Not clear" They know what happened they are just figuring out how to spin it.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

I had the wrong court. Not 6th, but still a good read.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-11th-circuit/1275464.html
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Gaspode wrote:Without going into too much detail, Columbus PD seriously screwed this one up. The kid who was robbed and ended up getting shot by the officer could have been avoided if they had done their job correctly. Sadly, nothing much will happen from it.
Sounds like that to me too
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)