Outrage After News Channel Helps Identify Gun Owners

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Beskar'gam

Re: Outrage After News Channel Helps Identify Gun Owners

Post by Beskar'gam »

farblue wrote:Maybe someone should start publishing the names and addresses of journalists that own more than $15,000 worth of home theater equipment on Craiglist...?
Consolidating otherwise public information into categories is one thing - that might be going a bit far
Ray

Post by Ray »

Beskar'gam wrote:Wow...

Well, I guess North Carolina gun owners will know exactly who to file suit against should their houses be targeted for burglary

I have to wonder what exactly they are trying to accomplish, simple "shame" or just attempting to be as incendiary as humanly possible?

Only an idiot would break into a CHL house............ Well maybe if they have a death wish, Just saying.......... :lol: :lol:

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ray wrote:Only an idiot would break into a CHL house...

Umm, only an idiot would break into ANY house!

I have been told MANY times that my CHL is no good for my 12-gauge. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Beskar'gam wrote:
steves 50de wrote:I don't think the can publish name's and address's in ohio, but i may be wrong.
Well, they can do anything they jolly well please, question is what recourse would one have if they did?
It's a fifth degree felony. And an open door for your lawyers if you are harmed because of the release of your info.

2923.129 Immunity.

(B)(2)(a) A journalist, on or after April 8, 2004, may submit to a sheriff a signed, written request to view the name, county of residence, and date of birth of each person to whom the sheriff has issued a license or replacement license to carry a concealed handgun, renewed a license to carry a concealed handgun, or issued a temporary emergency license or replacement temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, or a signed, written request to view the name, county of residence, and date of birth of each person for whom the sheriff has suspended or revoked a license to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.128 of the Revised Code. The request shall include the journalist’s name and title, shall include the name and address of the journalist’s employer, and shall state that disclosure of the information sought would be in the public interest. If a journalist submits a signed, written request to the sheriff to view the information described in this division, the sheriff shall grant the journalist’s request. The journalist shall not copy the name, county of residence, or date of birth of each person to or for whom the sheriff has issued, suspended, or revoked a license described in this division.

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of illegal release of confidential concealed handgun license records, a felony of the fifth degree. In addition to any penalties imposed under Chapter 2929. of the Revised Code for a violation of division (B) of this section or a violation of section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in division (D) of this section, if the offender is a sheriff, an employee of a sheriff, or any other public officer or employee, and if the violation was willful and deliberate, the offender shall be subject to a civil fine of one thousand dollars. Any person who is harmed by a violation of division (B) or (C) of this section or a violation of section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in division (D) of this section has a private cause of action against the offender for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is a proximate result of the violation and may recover court costs and attorney’s fees related to the action.
Effective Date: 04-08-2004; 09-29-2007; 2008 SB184 09-09-2008
MyWifeSaidYes
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

dynamike wrote:I wonder what was going through their minds when the decided to publish that information.
I don't think much of anything was going through their minds. Idiots.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Some years ago, there was a competition of micturation between a gun group and the editor or publisher of a newspaper in NW Ohio. While I am a bit vague on the details, the argument was started, if memory serves, when the newspaper published the names and addresses of early CHL owners in their reading area. In turn, some gun people researched and then made public the home address of the newspaper guy, as well as a few somewhat salacious and personal details of the man's recent divorce. It was ugly for a short time, then the story died a natural death. Détente.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Tweed Ring wrote:Some years ago, there was a competition of micturation between a gun group and the editor or publisher of a newspaper in NW Ohio. While I am a bit vague on the details, the argument was started, if memory serves, when the newspaper published the names and addresses of early CHL owners in their reading area. In turn, some gun people researched and then made public the home address of the newspaper guy, as well as a few somewhat salacious and personal details of the man's recent divorce. It was ugly for a short time, then the story died a natural death. Détente.
I remember that. What newspaper was it? I think I may have even posted a comment in the newspaper's blog, suggesting that public records related to the editor might be subject to publication.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Beskar'gam wrote:
steves 50de wrote:I don't think the can publish name's and address's in ohio, but i may be wrong.
Well, they can do anything they jolly well please, question is what recourse would one have if they did?
It's a fifth degree felony. And an open door for your lawyers if you are harmed because of the release of your info.

2923.129 Immunity.

(B)(2)(a) A journalist, on or after April 8, 2004, may submit to a sheriff a signed, written request to view the name, county of residence, and date of birth of each person to whom the sheriff has issued a license or replacement license to carry a concealed handgun, renewed a license to carry a concealed handgun, or issued a temporary emergency license or replacement temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, or a signed, written request to view the name, county of residence, and date of birth of each person for whom the sheriff has suspended or revoked a license to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.128 of the Revised Code. The request shall include the journalist’s name and title, shall include the name and address of the journalist’s employer, and shall state that disclosure of the information sought would be in the public interest. If a journalist submits a signed, written request to the sheriff to view the information described in this division, the sheriff shall grant the journalist’s request. The journalist shall not copy the name, county of residence, or date of birth of each person to or for whom the sheriff has issued, suspended, or revoked a license described in this division.

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of illegal release of confidential concealed handgun license records, a felony of the fifth degree. In addition to any penalties imposed under Chapter 2929. of the Revised Code for a violation of division (B) of this section or a violation of section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in division (D) of this section, if the offender is a sheriff, an employee of a sheriff, or any other public officer or employee, and if the violation was willful and deliberate, the offender shall be subject to a civil fine of one thousand dollars. Any person who is harmed by a violation of division (B) or (C) of this section or a violation of section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in division (D) of this section has a private cause of action against the offender for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is a proximate result of the violation and may recover court costs and attorney’s fees related to the action.
Effective Date: 04-08-2004; 09-29-2007; 2008 SB184 09-09-2008
In Ohio - good to know. I'm guessing they don't have this in NC?