Officers seconds away from shooting suspect

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Officers seconds away from shooting suspect

Post by Bruenor »

Talk about poor or total lack of judgement, and common sense.

http://starbeacon.com/local/x1146345118 ... ng-suspect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A man later identified as Burdine approached Patrolmen Mike Bertolasio and Jesse Lardi in the police station parking lot, telling them he had just received a text message from a female friend asking his help in removing an unwanted man from her Park Avenue apartment.
“I need your help, and if you don’t help me I will take care of it myself,” Burdine told the officers.

The patrolmen advised Burdine to stay put while they investigated. At the woman’s apartment officers encountered an intoxicated man who said he had no place to go. Officers found accommodations for the man, and as he was preparing to leave police noticed the woman talking on a cellular telephone, saying the man wasn’t going to jail “and you need to get down here,” according to the report.

A few minutes later Burdine arrived in a vehicle and emerged carrying a 12-gauge shotgun, police said. He was loading the weapon as he walked, saying “If you’re not going to take care of the problem then I will,” according to the report.
Officers pulled their weapons and ordered Burdine to stop and drop the gun. Burdine kept walking, brandishing the shotgun, police said. After a few more steps he stopped, giving officers a chance to rush forward and secure the suspect, according to a report.
charge of obstructing official business (a fifth-degree felony), as well as misdemeanor charges of inducing panic, aggravated menacing and aggravated disorderly conduct
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
58duck

Re: Officers seconds away from shooting suspect

Post by 58duck »

rough neighborhood . . .
NRA Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Machismo, it is often a fatal affliction. He's darn lucky...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Mr. Burdine is lucky he encountered two competent cops, and didn't end up looking like a sieve as a result of his quixotic bravado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I think there is some backstory missing about a relationship between the 'unwanted male' and the lady. :roll:
MyWifeSaidYes
SigMan

Post by SigMan »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Machismo, it is often a fatal affliction. He's darn lucky...
+1 I'm inclined to believe the majority of police officers would have shot him dead. Expecially if he was ordered to drop the weapon and he didn't.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. - THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

You can have Freedom or Free things but not both, choose one!
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I've seen some strange things in that town while I was working it.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I think there is some backstory missing about a relationship between the 'unwanted male' and the lady. :roll:
I'm quite sure of it. That is the case quite often ... and more often than many "victims" are readily willing to acknowledge.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

My vote is that there's some backstory there, too....

Buddy of mine, now deceased, was with the local PD.

On his very first night on the road, with an FTO, they get sent to a "man with a shotgun" call, where Dispatch tells them that the guy was going to divorce his wife, Italian style....

So, they arrive and pop out of the Patrol Unit.

My buddy's on the side closest, and sees the guy running towards him (and the other officer), with a shotgun pointed straight at them.

He decides that he's got to STOP the situation, and puts six (revolvers in those days) through the screen door. The guy goes down....

Then, it hits him: "My first night on the job and I've killed somebody. How am I going to explain that, or even live with it?"

Then a small voice: "Please, don't shoot me.... I'm sorry.... Don't shoot...."

The guy had managed to slip and fall on his face (no idea why the shotgun didn't discharge) just before my buddy fired....

The homeowner got to cool down in the greybar. The screen door needed emergency repairs, but survived.....

My buddy's since passed on, but was a magnet. He was placed on the desk to keep him out of trouble. Desk duty long enough that every time he took out a car, he'd wreck it!

(We won't talk about the one-way street debacle....)

And, no, my first duty weapon (semi-retired rent-a-cop, among other things) was not a matchlock....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Percussion cap? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

SigMan wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Machismo, it is often a fatal affliction. He's darn lucky...
+1 I'm inclined to believe the majority of police officers would have shot him dead. Especially if he was ordered to drop the weapon and he didn't.
Your certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think other wise......Most LEOS are trained to help a situation, not escalate it...IMO
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
SigMan wrote:
+1 I'm inclined to believe the majority of police officers would have shot him dead. Especially if he was ordered to drop the weapon and he didn't.
Your certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think other wise......Most LEOS are trained to help a situation, not escalate it...IMO
Been my experience that most LEO's want to go home at night and would be more likely to assure that. Take a few classes run by LE and former LE and see what they say about guns and finding people with guns in hands when you arrive on scene. TDI shows examples of actual off duty LE responding to and getting involved in a shoot out, ditching their weapons so they themselves won't be shot by uniformed officers on scene. Actually throwing the gun.

While I expect LE to use common sense, I also expect the civilians to use it as well. All situations are dynamic but this guy was a freaking chest thumper in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA