Toledo Blade article on reciprocity

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Toledo Blade article on reciprocity

Post by sodbuster95 »

Ohio lets gun owners get licenses elsewhere

The writer contacted me a few weeks ago regarding this article and has finally published it. It's a mostly even-handed article regarding reciprocity and references the incident which occurred with a fellow forumite (Mark Anderson) several weeks ago which can be found here. I think she put a negative spin on it in a few places, though, and she leaves the uneducated reader thinking (still) that reciprocity is some kind of "loophole."

For those that were following the original incident, this is the attitude that was being displayed from most of the people I spoke with that weekend:
"I don't think the people of the state of Ohio understand that other states can dictate who carries a gun in Ohio. By us signing this reciprocity agreement, we're allowing Florida to tell us who in Ohio can carry a gun," said Assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Jeff Lingo, chief of the office's criminal division.

"If you live in the state of Ohio and laws of the state of Ohio govern your conduct, why shouldn't you be required to get an Ohio permit?"
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
ohiophotog

Re: Toledo Blade article on reciprocity

Post by ohiophotog »

The bill also changes the definition of "loaded firearm in a vehicle" to mean that a gun is loaded when the magazine is inserted into the gun. Loaded now means the magazine is in the vehicle.
She must be referring to those Hollywood magazines that never run out of ammo. :roll:
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
BobK

Post by BobK »

It is a pretty high probability that the next legislative session in Texas will see a bill passed that requires Texas residents to have a Texas license before any non-resident reciprocal privileges are recognized. A Texas resident with a FL license would explicitly not be honored in Texas, unless they also had a Texas CHL for example.

There have been CHL instructors down here that were first advertising you could get a Utah non-resident license for less hours, no range time, and cheaper. When Utah made the requirement that you must have your home state's license to be eligible for a Utah non-resident, it quenched that fire a bit.

Then those jackwagons started advertising and attending Texas gun shows to show how to get a VA non-resident license for minimal output.

The political quote here by someone "in the know" was, "Never underestimate how irritated a legislator can get when someone is clearly sidestepping legislative intent."
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

BobK wrote:
The political quote here by someone "in the know" was, "Never underestimate how irritated a legislator can get when someone is clearly sidestepping legislative tax."
Lemme fix that for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
BobK wrote:
The political quote here by someone "in the know" was, "Never underestimate how irritated a legislator can get when someone is clearly sidestepping legislative tax."
Lemme fix that for you.
:lol: Winner.

CHL's should be free, you shouldn't have to pay for a "Right" that's recognized by the State and US Constitution when its stated these powers/rights are granted by GOD and recognized herein as such. Its all about taxes if they feel like they are missing out on $5 bucks they are going to be upset.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Sodbuster, I am sure this article is more accurate and more fair to our side because of your input. Thank you. :D
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

wkdravenna wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
BobK wrote:
Lemme fix that for you.
:lol: Winner.

CHL's should be free, you shouldn't have to pay for a "Right" that's recognized by the State and US Constitution when its stated these powers/rights are granted by GOD and recognized herein as such. Its all about taxes if they feel like they are missing out on $5 bucks they are going to be upset.
They can tax anything they dang well please. John Roberts said so.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

WestonDon wrote: They can tax anything they dang well please. John Roberts said so.
Are you a Citizen ? This is a Internet Checkpoint!

(John Roberts said that was okay too)

(Then Obama said it would not matter if you're a citizen anyways. )

You're right, they can steal(tax) from you at any time for any reason now I had forgot.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

sodbuster95 wrote:
"I don't think the people of the state of Ohio understand that other states can dictate who carries a gun in Ohio. By us signing this reciprocity agreement, we're allowing Florida to tell us who in Ohio can carry a gun," said Assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Jeff Lingo, chief of the office's criminal division.

"If you live in the state of Ohio and laws of the state of Ohio govern your conduct, why shouldn't you be required to get an Ohio permit?"
sodbuster:

What makes me glad I don't live in his area is that generally other states require at least some form of background checking & training, and that you must obey Ohio's firearms laws if you're going to carry in OH....

Not to mention it not being a "permit". It's a "License", and while that's potentially offensive to have to get a license, I suppose one could call it a recognition of the effort to get some training....

A hit piece against reciprocity.... Just what we needed....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I can OC and not pay a darn thing or get trained on anything, to conceal I must take a class that has a fee, submit a separate application that has a fee. It's a tax on a right no matter how you cut it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I can OC and not pay a darn thing or get trained on anything, to conceal I must take a class that has a fee, submit a separate application that has a fee. It's a tax on a right no matter how you cut it.
Personally I hope when the NRA gets carry outside the home brought up to the Supreme Court that your point is pressured hard on them. It'll be interesting if they weigh on CC vs OC in the verdict, hopefully they'd do both and say both are 100% free and a right. Of course, after the Obamacare ruling, not sure how much faith I have in the justices.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

After yesterday's generally balanced article, this is the crap the Blade "editorial" writers follow-up with:

Hidden Guns
Maj. Ronald Keel of the Lucas County Sheriff's Department said that lack of knowledge makes traffic stops more dangerous. When deputies stop a vehicle, they check the license plate before they approach the driver. But if an Ohio driver has a concealed-carry permit from another state, that information won't show up on their computer.

Visitors and travelers can drive in Ohio with out-of-state licenses, but must get an Ohio driver's license if they're going to live here. State fishing licenses have limited reciprocity. Ohio hunting licenses are not reciprocal at all. A permit to carry a concealed lethal weapon should be at least as strict.

Yet state lawmakers are considering weakening the permit laws even more. A proposed bill would require the state to accept permits issued by other states that recognize Ohio permits. Toby Hoover, executive director of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, calls the bill a "lowest common denominator" approach to gun permits.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
elad

Post by elad »

Also from the Blade Editorial:
Groups such as Ohioans for Concealed Carry say it's OK for a clerk with a rubber stamp in Tallahassee or Salt Lake City to decide which Ohio residents can carry concealed weapons, because that's what Ohioans want. That doesn't seem likely.
They sure are trying to twist the facts and make OFCC sound bad.
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" Wayne LaPierre
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Toby Hoover lives in a dream world. Thinks toledo is one day going to be some sort of utopian paradise if there were no guns.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

"Facts are unimportant to a true-believing liberal. Rationality the first discarded of the luggage they carry."