Toledo Blade article on reciprocity

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Toledo Blade article on reciprocity

Post by Werz »

Tweed Ring wrote:"Facts are unimportant to a true-believing liberal..."
Actually, the same can be said of any hardcore ideologue.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

Maj. Ronald Keel of the Lucas County Sheriff's Department said that lack of knowledge makes traffic stops more dangerous
And how is that exactly? CHL holders in any state are at least subject to a background check. Ohio AG's own records show that CHL are generally perfectly law-abiding citizens
Groups such as Ohioans for Concealed Carry say it's OK for a clerk with a rubber stamp in Tallahassee or Salt Lake City to decide which Ohio residents can carry concealed weapons, because that's what Ohioans want.
I wonder if that is really what the general public believes? I am assuming at least one of us is already writing a counterpoint. At least those readers who are offering rebuttals in the comments section seem better informed - I see you in there pleasantguy :wink:
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Beskar'gam wrote:
Maj. Ronald Keel of the Lucas County Sheriff's Department said that lack of knowledge makes traffic stops more dangerous
And how is that exactly? CHL holders in any state are at least subject to a background check. Ohio AG's own records show that CHL are generally perfectly law-abiding citizens
Oh, I agree with him. It DOES make the stop more dangerous...FOR THE CHL HOLDER.

Lack of knowledge of the law by a law enforcement officer has the potential to result in an officer overreacting which could lead to an officer doing something as simple as handling a firearm he is unfamiliar with for "officer safety" (so as to disarm the CHL driver) or something as complicated as conducting a felony stop (I.E., weapons drawn, etc.) for no reason other than the mistaken belief that only a LEO is "allowed" to have a gun.

And, of course, we cannot forget the danger to a CHL driver who gets charged with failure to inform because of the vagueness of THAT law.

So, yeah, Major Keel is correct - there is too much lack of knowledge. What's he doing to train his deputies? I volunteered to sit down with him, or his deputies, and go over the laws and requirements. So far, I've gotten no response.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

sodbuster95 wrote:
Beskar'gam wrote:
Oh, I agree with him. It DOES make the stop more dangerous...FOR THE CHL HOLDER.

Lack of knowledge of the law by a law enforcement officer has the potential to result in an officer overreacting which could lead to an officer doing something as simple as handling a firearm he is unfamiliar with for "officer safety" (so as to disarm the CHL driver) or something as complicated as conducting a felony stop (I.E., weapons drawn, etc.) for no reason other than the mistaken belief that only a LEO is "allowed" to have a gun.

And, of course, we cannot forget the danger to a CHL driver who gets charged with failure to inform because of the vagueness of THAT law.

So, yeah, Major Keel is correct - there is too much lack of knowledge. What's he doing to train his deputies? I volunteered to sit down with him, or his deputies, and go over the laws and requirements. So far, I've gotten no response.
With you all the way on that. The major reason that I do my best to obey all traffic laws is not just that I don't want a ticket - I don't want the encounter. And actually, I had just gotten my CHL license when all that business with He Who Shall Not Be Named (No, not Voldemorte :wink: ) was going on in Canton
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

sodbuster95 wrote:Lack of knowledge of the law by a law enforcement officer has the potential to result in an officer overreacting which could lead to an officer doing something as simple as handling a firearm he is unfamiliar with for "officer safety" (so as to disarm the CHL driver) or something as complicated as conducting a felony stop (I.E., weapons drawn, etc.) for no reason other than the mistaken belief that only a LEO is "allowed" to have a gun.
And that is the real reason for requiring notification, too.

I'm beginning to realize, though, that it goes beyond a simple lack of knowledge. From the time they enter academy, they are trained - almost on the level of Pavlovian conditioning - to react with a drawn weapon to any audio or visual stimulus which says, "Gun!"
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Werz wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:Lack of knowledge of the law by a law enforcement officer has the potential to result in an officer overreacting which could lead to an officer doing something as simple as handling a firearm he is unfamiliar with for "officer safety" (so as to disarm the CHL driver) or something as complicated as conducting a felony stop (I.E., weapons drawn, etc.) for no reason other than the mistaken belief that only a LEO is "allowed" to have a gun.

I'm beginning to realize, though, that it goes beyond a simple lack of knowledge. From the time they enter academy, they are trained - almost on the level of Pavlovian conditioning - to react with a drawn weapon to any audio or visual stimulus which says, "Gun!"
We seem to be one of the few States with officers so "conditioned" that they can not use their eyes and brains. :shock: Most of the officers in States without notification must be superior to ours since there seems to be no problem in those states. :?
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

Tourist wrote:
Werz wrote:

We seem to be one of the few States with officers so "conditioned" that they can not use their eyes and brains. :shock: Most of the officers in States without notification must be superior to ours since there seems to be no problem in those states. :?
Gotta wonder how some of ours might fair is states like Vermont - geez, every stop would be a felony stop :shock: