Red White and Boom flashmob?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby roughsawn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:57 pm

I did not hear anything about this in the news at all. This was in the opinion section of the Columbus Dispatch today. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2012/07/07/fireworks-show-lacked-safety-plan.html

After the show ended and people started walking back to their cars, things turned violent. A gang of approximately 30 black youths (both male and female) started walking and running down Broad Street and randomly assaulted white people — old people, children, women.

I was first aware of the violence in front of the church at the corner of Third and Broad streets. One block east of there, a man crossed the street through the traffic holding his crying son. They clearly had been assaulted. When others asked if they were OK, he said, “No, we're not OK; we got separated from my wife and daughter, and they're still over there.”

Finally, two Columbus officers were seen slowly walking toward the scene of this violence. At this point, the black youths crossed the street to the opposite side of the officers and started randomly attacking more white people on the north side of Broad Street. I know; I was assaulted by five different youths.

At this time, the police meandered to our side of the street. Some of us went to the officers and said, “Do something, innocent people are getting assaulted right here on Broad Street.” One officer replied, “We don't have enough officers.” After seeing the dozens of officers near the riverfront, I went home feeling this officer’s answer was a poor one."


Has anyone heard anything about this? I wonder why a group of 30 kids assaulting random people on the street is not newsworthy in this city. Could it be because race is involved? Couldn't this be considered hate crimes? What gives????
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/
roughsawn
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby Tweed Ring » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:19 pm

These attacks seem to happen every year. I started working in Columbus in 1994, and was excited about attending my first RW&B. Some of my staff warned me not to attend unless I had a perch high up in a building, and planned to stay there until the crowds had dispersed, for this very reason.

Columbus RW&B veterans, male and female, white and black, warned me about the assaults from the under-served, under-sung, disenfranchised, feral, urban princes and princesses, and their various crimes of opportunity. The mayor ignores the problem; the police are under-staffed and not supported by the pols. Ergo: Indian Country.

Best advice is if one cannot secure a space in a tall building, then watch the event on TV.
Tweed Ring
 
Posts: 17812
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby BobK » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Shoot 'em . . .

It gotta happen sooner or later. Flash mobs are entirely without consequences now.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
User avatar
BobK
 
Posts: 15602
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:26 pm
Location: Houston TX (formerly Franklin County)

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby Tweed Ring » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:51 pm

I have accumulated too much stuff through my career to risk losing it by becoming a political pinata like Zimmerman...One shoots a madcap urban yute at one's peril...
Tweed Ring
 
Posts: 17812
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby Werz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Tweed Ring wrote:I have accumulated too much stuff through my career to risk losing it by becoming a political pinata like Zimmerman...One shoots a madcap urban yute at one's peril...

Air freshener?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
User avatar
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 5498
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby Tweed Ring » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Not enough punch nor deterrent there for these crowds.
Tweed Ring
 
Posts: 17812
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby pleasantguywhopacks » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:21 pm

I will not let Zimmerman's failings to adequately prepare for conflicts and then his post shooting behavior change how I deal with legitimate threats to my life or that of my family.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
User avatar
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 16746
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Whitehouse, OH

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby Face » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Let's not call this a flashmob, as they are usually harmless and at some times (cashmobs) helpful to society.

I'd call these creatures just a mob or thugs (or lrs that is not printable here) . I'd venture to guess they would be too stupid to organize a flashmob.

Maybe next yer we need to organize an open carry event flashmob.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Face
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby 95oRANGEcRUSH » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:06 pm

roughsawn wrote:I did not hear anything about this in the news at all. This was in the opinion section of the Columbus Dispatch today. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2012/07/07/fireworks-show-lacked-safety-plan.html

After the show ended and people started walking back to their cars, things turned violent. A gang of approximately 30 black youths (both male and female) started walking and running down Broad Street and randomly assaulted white people — old people, children, women.

I was first aware of the violence in front of the church at the corner of Third and Broad streets. One block east of there, a man crossed the street through the traffic holding his crying son. They clearly had been assaulted. When others asked if they were OK, he said, “No, we're not OK; we got separated from my wife and daughter, and they're still over there.”

Finally, two Columbus officers were seen slowly walking toward the scene of this violence. At this point, the black youths crossed the street to the opposite side of the officers and started randomly attacking more white people on the north side of Broad Street. I know; I was assaulted by five different youths.

At this time, the police meandered to our side of the street. Some of us went to the officers and said, “Do something, innocent people are getting assaulted right here on Broad Street.” One officer replied, “We don't have enough officers.” After seeing the dozens of officers near the riverfront, I went home feeling this officer’s answer was a poor one."


Has anyone heard anything about this? I wonder why a group of 30 kids assaulting random people on the street is not newsworthy in this city. Could it be because race is involved? Couldn't this be considered hate crimes? What gives????


No such thing as a [insert race/] on white hate crime. It's only a hate crime if a white perpetuates it. I hope to never be caught in one of these random mob attacks. Wouldn't even have enough ammo on me to eliminate all of the threats. Of course, if someone were to draw and shoot in self defense they *might* just scatter.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. – Edward R. Murrow
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you. – Benjamin Franklin
Gun registration is a gateway drug. – Mark Gilmore
User avatar
95oRANGEcRUSH
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:33 am
Location: NEO

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby HancockCountyHAl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:44 am

Fireworks riots were also reported in Maple Heights and Shaker Heights.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these and reports of shots fired?
HancockCountyHaL
User avatar
HancockCountyHAl
 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Hancock County, Ohio

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby Tweed Ring » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:54 am

Shaker Heights chief of police was quoted as saying there were 8 arrests, that some in attendance at the SH event were not there to enjoy the fireworks show, and the report of shots fired at the event were unfounded.

There was also some brawl at the recent Fairport Harbor festival with a number of agencies responding to reports of a riot. Exuberant yutes, indeed.
Tweed Ring
 
Posts: 17812
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby deanimator » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:16 am

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I will not let Zimmerman's failings to adequately prepare for conflicts and then his post shooting behavior change how I deal with legitimate threats to my life or that of my family.

I concur completely.

A lawyer can get you out of a lot of trouble.

He can't get you out of your grave if you LET yourself be murdered.

Of course the ideal situation would be for the first person to drill the members of a violent flashmob to be Black.

It worked with Artie Buford...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
User avatar
deanimator
 
Posts: 7453
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Rocky River

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby OhioPaints » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 am

deanimator wrote:
Of course the ideal situation would be for the first person to drill the members of a violent flashmob to be Black.



No, the ideal situation would be for police and the politicians to do their job.

Short of that, the next best would be for the situation to be publicized enough so that innocent people avoid becoming victims.
User avatar
OhioPaints
 
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 4:22 pm
Location: Brown Co./ southern Ohio

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby Tweed Ring » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:05 am

Lack of parental supervision and oversight, poor impulse control, inability to stem need for immediate gratification, no understanding of the social contract, etc. Like I said: Indian country...
Tweed Ring
 
Posts: 17812
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Red White and Boom flashmob?

Postby OhioPaints » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:14 am

Tweed Ring wrote:Lack of parental supervision and oversight, poor impulse control, inability to stem need for immediate gratification, no understanding of the social contract, etc. Like I said: Indian country...


Don't blame the Indians!

You can add to that: bad policing and courts. Probably if the police do arrest any of them, the courts will just let them off :evil:
User avatar
OhioPaints
 
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 4:22 pm
Location: Brown Co./ southern Ohio

Next

Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest