Coming soon to surplus stores: Army Digicam!

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Coming soon to surplus stores: Army Digicam!

Post by evan price »

Quelle Surprise....the Army's new Digicam pattern wasn't properly tested and turns out not to work in any environment well.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/06/24 ... iasco-1-5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over the next year, America’s largest fighting force is swapping its camouflage pattern. The move is a quiet admission that the last uniform — a pixelated design that debuted in 2004 at a cost of $5 billion — was a colossal mistake.

Soldiers have roundly criticized the gray-green uniform for standing out almost everywhere it’s been worn. Industry insiders have called the financial mess surrounding the pattern a “fiasco.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/huge-le ... l-mistake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 2004, the U.S. Army deployed a new, digitized camouflage pattern for its uniforms. Now, reports are that not only did the pixelated pattern cost $5 billion, but that it doesn’t work well in any environment and is soon to be replaced.

“It got into political hands before the soldiers ever got the uniforms,” Army textile technologist Cheryl Stewardson said to The Daily, noting that Army brass sped along a decision before testing was complete. Camouflage researchers testing patterns for the Army in the early 2000s were pressured to choose a design like the “trendy” new one being used by the Marine Corps.
“If it’s good enough for the Marines, why shouldn’t the Army have that same cool new look?” Stewardson said to The Daily.

But the Marines got MarCam, we want a new one too!!!

(Edit to add: The conspiracy nut deep inside my brain blurted out: "But the Pentagon knows that militia groups and anti-government extremists tend to buy military surplus stuff, so they want this to get surplused out so they will be easier to see..."

I had to slap the conspiracy nut. Sometimes even his stuff is too out there...)
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
yogidave

Re: Coming soon to surplus stores: Army Digicam!

Post by yogidave »

Ah finally a thread that I can vent...I have never been a fan of the ACU at all. The pattern only blends into gravel, the velcro sucks, they are sloppy, the boots are hard to keep clean and I can go on and on. IMHO I feel that in 2004 they needed to ramp up the "numbers" if you will and by coming out with a new uniform that would increase bodies in boots.

But my biggest gripe is the soldiers that have lost life and limb due to not having proper camo thus making them targets that stick out. If it was up to me I would bring back the BDU/DCU and bust out the Kiwi. 8)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

The funny thing I never understood about the digicam pattern was IMO from the naked eye, it was much easier to see. Yeah, it may full long range digital scopes, but if you are 30 feet out, you stood out like a sore thumb.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

The Army is admitting that after 8 years and millions of dollars, the uniform we were wearing 8 years ago was just fine and worked better.

Shocker. :roll:

The question (to me, anyway) is this: Will they just roll back to what we were using (which worked) or are they going to spend millions more coming up with something else only to find that it doesn't work? The only thing universal about UCP is that it's universally worthless. On the other hand, the Army can't use MarPat, either, as the Marines have it trademarked. There was a big brouhaha between the the service secretaries about that a while ago. I don't recall the outcome, but I notice that no one else is using MarPat.

I think I'm gonna found a company that specializes in developing camouflage. I think there's about to be some money available in that field. :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

The issue with MarPat is in the pixels there is an EGA although I dont remember what color had it. MultiCam is very effective but rumor has it the Army does not want to adopt it. :roll: I put the ACU's in the same catagory as the M4, it always comes in last for durability and reliability BUT the Army did a poll and the soldiers said they want to keep it.....funny nobody asked me.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

sodbuster95 wrote:On the other hand, the Army can't use MarPat, either, as the Marines have it trademarked.
So the government trademarked something against themselves? If one sued, who would sue who? That would be like Microsoft Windows suing Microsoft XBox.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
diamondsun

Post by diamondsun »

sodbuster95 wrote:The only thing universal about UCP is that it's universally worthless. :wink:
I wouldn't say it's universally worthless,

they're just fighting it in the wrong terrain.
To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
Kgolf31

Post by Kgolf31 »

Multicam was meant to be.

Once it finally got out, and realized how bad ACU was...now they make a statement about it.

Without multicam, the Army probably would of said that ACU was working perfectly fine.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:On the other hand, the Army can't use MarPat, either, as the Marines have it trademarked.
So the government trademarked something against themselves? If one sued, who would sue who? That would be like Microsoft Windows suing Microsoft XBox.
As it was explained to me (I'm not a government attorney), divisions / departments such as the Department of the Navy can hold trademarks, copyrights, and patents unto themselves and can file actions to enforce them, including against other departments of the government. I don't know (but doubt) that they could recieve monetary compensation, but they could sue for injunctive relief.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Daeyel

Post by Daeyel »

Because our patent is more important than the grunts on our side! Whats a few more dead army men?
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Daeyel wrote:Because our patent is more important than the grunts on our side! Whats a few more dead army men?
I have NEVER encountered anyone associated with military procurement that would harbor this attitude. If any exist, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. :twisted:
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

curmudgeon3 wrote:I have NEVER encountered anyone associated with military procurement that would harbor this attitude. If any exist, they should be given a squirt gun, a clown costume, and sent into battle.. :twisted:
Fixed it for ya.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Multicam is already the standard issue uniform for deployments to Afghanistan, along with all the gear to match. I would have to bet, that if a switch is actually made, it will be to the pattern they are already putting out (well, that Crye Precision is putting out anyhow). Then again, that would make logical sense, and we can't have that now, can we?
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

[quote="FlyinCedar"Then again, that would make logical sense, and we can't have that now, can we?[/quote]

This is why I'm afraid it won't happen. Gotta figure out how they can waste the most money.
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

Hey... I like the pen pockets and ankle pockets on the ACUs! :lol:
-Erik