NJ woman sues police for not protecting her?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

NJ woman sues police for not protecting her?

Post by evan price »

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/0 ... in_wo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On March 8, Andres Garcia, 44, of Paterson, a convicted robber wanted for a parole violation, was fleeing police after a shoplifting incident in the mall. He grabbed Ellen Shane by her hair, pulled her away from her husband, held a knife to her throat and dragged her to the Sears store.

As Garcia held her, uniformed Woodbridge police Officer Edward Barrett Jr. who was working a security detail at the mall, shot the parolee in the head.
Sounds like a good outcome to me.
Now the woman, Ellen Shane, 62, of Carteret, plans to sue the township for $5 million, claiming it failed to protect public safety and that she was injured as a result of the officer’s acts.

Both Shane and her husband, Ronald Shane, "are suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome and both have been dramatized from this incident," according to the tort claim notice filed by their lawyer, David Corrigan of Eatontown.
Wow, this sound like the beginning of the PIxar movie The Incredibles!!

And they've both been "dramatized"...what's that mean, a Lifetime network movie was made about them??? :roll: I think that word you are looking for, Counsellor, is "TRAUMATIZED"... :wink:
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
medmandan

Re: NJ woman sues police for not protecting her?

Post by medmandan »

Would she have preferred to have been kept hostage then, since it was action by the LEO that caused her trauma?? :evil: :shock: :roll:
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

medmandan wrote:Would she have preferred to have been kept hostage then, since it was action by the LEO that caused her trauma??
No trauma. Drama! They were dramatized. Sounds like their lawyer is doing a heckuva lot of dramatizing too.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

No good deed goes unpunished...

I was hoping this was a case where someone would claim that by not being allowed the tools of self defense that the police were liable... this is so much worse than that. Not only did she expect the police officer to protect her, but that he had a duty to prevent any drama (Trauma?) too!?
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

No good deed goes unpunished...
"Thank you for saving my life, now please give me your badge number so I can name you in my lawsuit"

Good to see the soundbyte from the mayor upholding his officer's actions

Cop did his job, seems to have done it well (nice aim) - suing for failure to be allowed the tools to protect oneself is one thing.

I think her lawyer described the case perfectly - drama
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Freaking Greater New York City. Thats all I've got to say. They've got that left coast disease.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Maybe their thinking is that had the police caught the guy right away as opposed to "letting him flee" the kidnapping never would have occurred.

Whatever. Hopefully this doesn't go anywhere but if it does, *pfft* it's New York so I really don't care who wins.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

djthomas wrote:Maybe their thinking is that had the police caught the guy right away as opposed to "letting him flee" the kidnapping never would have occurred.

Whatever. Hopefully this doesn't go anywhere but if it does, *pfft* it's New York so I really don't care who wins.
That's what I was thinking, but the article seems to indicate that she's basing her suit directly on the officer's actions:
"Instead of attempting to resolve the situation, Barrett took out his gun and shot the suspect while he was holding Mrs. Shane," the paper states.
I dunno, sounds like a pretty good "resolution" to me. :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

Evan, I had to re-read that post like 3 times. Kept thinking to myself, did they really just say "dramatized"? LOL

Alright, let's go ahead and resurrect Andres Garcia using a concoction of Bath Salts and Cat fish. Hand him a knife, allow him to take Ellen Shane at knife point again and let her fend for herself this time. ^-^

I should sue her and her husband for, after reading this woman's claim, I believe she has DRAMATIZED me!
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

evan price wrote:
Both Shane and her husband, Ronald Shane, "are suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome and both have been dramatized from this incident," according to the tort claim notice filed by their lawyer, David Corrigan of Eatontown.
Coming from a personal injury lawyer, this sounds like a classic Freudian slip.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

Ahhh screw it, who wants cake? :lol:
Come and get'em