Minn. Police Beat Man For Gun, Despite Permit

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

Minn. Police Beat Man For Gun, Despite Permit

Post by pirateguy191 »

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) - A Minneapolis man says he was beaten by police as he left a downtown nightclub.

Zachary King says he was walking to his car when police noticed his gun in his waist band. He claims he told police he had a permit to carry, but they still attacked him.
“I have my conceal and carry, and it’s my gun. And soon as I said that he grabbed me by my neck, slammed me against the wall, snatched my gun out the holster, started waving it in the air saying ‘gun, gun, gun,’” said King.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/06/2 ... my-permit/
Last edited by pirateguy191 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
dan2286

Re: Police Beat Me For Gun, Despite My Permit

Post by dan2286 »

By the title, I thought this was going to be your own personal encounter!

This really is scary though! He may end up with a pretty large check after this is all over with.
pirateguy191

Re: Minn. Police Beat Me For Gun, Despite My Permit

Post by pirateguy191 »

I edited the title to reflect Minn. Police. Oops. :oops:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BobK

Re: Minn. Police Beat Man For Gun, Despite Permit

Post by BobK »

Sounds like those fI've police officers were feeling nostalgic for the old days after Rodney King's recent obituary.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Vex

Post by Vex »

Move to News forum?
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

It's been moved.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Nice how the officer safely handled the loaded firearm after taking it from the subject.

Would love to see the video from this incident.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

Quite unsettling to say the least.

Speculation:
King’s attorney, Mike Patton, says his client was arrested, jailed and not charged for recording police back in April that allegedly showed abuse of power.
Wonder if maybe they were still a little upset about that...

Would like to see the video myself
BobK

Post by BobK »

Wow, it just gets worse!

Here is an updated story: Minn. Man Beaten, Arrested for Carrying Legal Gun Gives New Details to The Blaze (Feared Death and Wasn’t Drinking).

This is looking like a 100% Law Abiding Citizen getting trampled.

Also:
Didn’t drink “one lick”

According to King, the reason he was at a local night club was to see a performance where his friend was working as a show promoter. His wife had suggested he “go have some fun” on Father’s Day, an already somber day considering King and his wife lost their 7-year-old son five years ago after their pit bull mauled the boy. (King was acquitted of manslaughter charges in that case in 2008.)

King says he had not been drinking any alcohol the night he was beaten and arrested and claims he took two separate breathalyzer tests, one administered by the police and another at the hospital. Both readings turned up zero traces of alcohol, he says, although that has not been verified by officials.

“I did not drink one lick at all … . I know I’m not supposed to when I have my gun,” King told The Blaze. “I wanted them to give me a breathalyzer because I knew I hadn’t been drinking anything and they have to try to find a reason for why they beat and arrested me.”
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Get that video out and name names! Strip these jokers of their reputations, their livelihoods, and their freedom.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

When did Harless get hired in Minnesota?
Come and get'em
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

If the events described in his narration are true, the Minneapolis Police need to fire IMHO the officers involved after an investigation. If true, this is a damning example excessive force and something that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. There is a clear difference between someone resisting or in an act of a crime with a firearm being controlled and the same person not resisting. Especially if the person states (as in the story) that he had a CHL. I am waiting for more details of this incident to come to light.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bet money that all of the cops' reports will have no more relationship to reality than the script of "John Carter of Mars". It's simply SOP to lie in official documents to support each other. It's exactly what happened in the Harless and Kathryn Johnston cases. It should be a felony.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

deanimator wrote:Bet money that all of the cops' reports will have no more relationship to reality than the script of "John Carter of Mars". It's simply SOP to lie in official documents to support each other. It's exactly what happened in the Harless and Kathryn Johnston cases. It should be a felony.
Didn't check Minnesota, but:

Q.: What is the penalty for perjury?
A.: In Ohio, perjury is a felony of the third degree punishable by up to five years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000. Perjury in a federal proceeding is subject to a similar penalty.
https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resou ... e-134.aspx

Am neither a lawyer, nor police, but is falsifying a report that would be used in court not the same thing?

Edit: Had a few spare minutes https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.48
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Beskar'gam wrote:Q.: What is the penalty for perjury?
Nothing if it isn't prosecuted, Harless and Diels being cases in point.

Diels not only lied in his report, he lied ON THE STAND.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.