Fatal robbery attempt of an off duty police officer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Fatal robbery attempt of an off duty police officer

Post by Werz »

Werz wrote:
Beskar'gam wrote:
The video shows that Moreland then performed CPR on Johnson.
Well that was mighty nice of him - I wonder if he had to due status as an LEO or chose to
It's not a video game where you dance around and yell, "I got him!"

I know of one instance where the officer was also an EMT and did good work on the sucking chest wound of the guy he shot.
Beskar'gam wrote:Of course not, I just can't honestly say that I would be all that enthusiastic about kneeling down next to a guy who was likely about to put six shots into me instead of the other way around and who may be down, but not necessarily out. I do however applaud his effort to safe a life, whatever said life might be worth.
The officer who did that had previously shot and killed a man with a .308 during a police manhunt. He knew what it felt like to have done that.

Interestingly enough, the second incident was an attempted "suicide by cop." When they were loading the guy into the squad vehicle, he kept telling the EMTs, "It's OK. I made him shoot me."
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

This happened in Toby's neck of the woods. I wonder what she has to say?
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

A proper application of combined metals launched at high velocities, forced into stabilized rotation, with a proper backstop capturing them, absorbing their energy.

Maybe this should shown and be taught in science classes in the area and catch em young.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

dynamike wrote:This happened in Toby's neck of the woods. I wonder what she has to say?
Would it make any sense at all ? I think i live like less then 10 mins from here.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
BorisTheSpider

Post by BorisTheSpider »

From two of the articles:
According to police, Moreland pulled out a personal gun and shot at Johnson six times, killing him.
Johnson was hit at least once and died at the scene.
I don't want to bother discussing writing styles and where the passive verbs were in these articles, but I am awfully curious as to how many shots hit the "proper backstop". I have read that police tend to have a 20% accuracy rating in an active shooting, and I don't know whether that's accurate, but I'm curious about how this officer's shooting compared, and where the other shots went.

I'm not trying to raise up any pitchforks or torches here. I've just often considered the "...and what's beyond" part of any shooting incident to be highly relevant, and in this case it sounds like there are a lot of eyes in the close proximity who may be able to at least stroll by and see what they can see. Obviously, nobody was injured by them, but I'm wondering if there was any property damage of any kind or maybe the LEO angled the shots downward or something? Maybe toward a hill? Again, I'm just curious how it played out.

Anyhow, I hope the LEO gets whatever care he may need and can continue his service to the community.
<disclaimer>If this post seems offensive, it was unintended; I probably chose my words poorly. If this post seems uneducated, that's entirely likely, but there is a slim possibility that I simply chose my words poorly. In either case, I apologize. Sit tight and someone more qualified will be along shortly.</disclaimer>