Fatal robbery attempt of an off duty police officer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lfrost2125

Fatal robbery attempt of an off duty police officer

Post by lfrost2125 »

Toledo Police say an off-duty Walbridge police officer and a friend were walking to the friend's home. 21 year old Travis K. Johnson confronted them at gunpoint demanding money.
WTOL Website

Not saying if it was the cop that was arrested or not. Waiting to find out more info.
"Let me not mourn for men who have died fighting, but rather let me be glad that such heros have lived" ----- General George S. Patton Jr.
BobK

Re: Fatal robbery attempt of an off duty police officer

Post by BobK »

One of my favorite Massad Ayoob quotes is, "A sudden and acute failure in the victim selection process."
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

BobK wrote:One of my favorite Massad Ayoob quotes is, "A sudden and acute failure in the victim selection process."
I've often used the phrase "failure in the victim selection process" since picking it up from Mas! Why was anyone arrested though? Sounds like clear cut self defense to me. Hope there's more to it than what was reported to explain why.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

dl1911 wrote:
BobK wrote:One of my favorite Massad Ayoob quotes is, "A sudden and acute failure in the victim selection process."
I've often used the phrase "failure in the victim selection process" since picking it up from Mas! Why was anyone arrested though? Sounds like clear cut self defense to me. Hope there's more to it than what was reported to explain why.
Well, the shooter was from a different jurisdiction... ;)
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

lfrost2125 wrote:Not saying if it was the cop that was arrested or not. Waiting to find out more info.
It's been updated:
Sgt. Joe Heffernan of Toledo Police stated no one was arrested at the scene and they are calling it a matter of self defense.

Walbridge Chief of Police Kenneth Frost states the officer is placed on an automatic three day paid leave pending the investigation. He states this is their policy anytime an on or off duty officer is involved with a shooting.
Edit: I hope this guy gets all the paid leave he wants. I've got a feeling he's going to have a lot of emotional trauma.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

Update

This happened at the end of my block.
Colt 45...it works every time
fisher3

Post by fisher3 »

Why was anyone arrested though?
UNless I missed something no one was arrested. They are talking with the grand jury but no charges have been filed. It sounds mostly prcedural.

I really like the line in the article by the chief that said it could have been any CHL holder that reached the same decision
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

No one was arrested. He got a free vacation.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
ToledoXJ

Post by ToledoXJ »

I suspect the investigation may have been because the cop may have been at the bar on the corner of Upton/Syl. Bar 1918 or something like that. My buddy was there that night, heard the shots and earlier overheard a guy mention he was a police officer.

PS This one was closer to my end of Syl. on Friday

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/ ... t-ATM.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Toledo, Oh Toledo.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

ToledoXJ wrote:I suspect the investigation may have been because the cop may have been at the bar on the corner of Upton/Syl.
An investigation is automatic anytime an officer is involved in a shooting. It has nothing to do with the location.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Here is another update with some dashcam.
http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/1901 ... shoots-man" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I say good for him, being a armed robber is a dangerous profession.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

The video shows that Moreland then performed CPR on Johnson.
Well that was mighty nice of him - I wonder if he had to due status as an LEO or chose to
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Beskar'gam wrote:
Well that was mighty nice of him - I wonder if he had to due status as an LEO or chose to
It's not a video game where you dance around and yell, "I got him!"

I know of one instance where the officer was also an EMT and did good work on the sucking chest wound of the guy he shot.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

Werz wrote:
Beskar'gam wrote:
It's not a video game where you dance around and yell, "I got him!"

I know of one instance where the officer was also an EMT and did good work on the sucking chest wound of the guy he shot.
Of course not, I just can't honestly say that I would be all that enthusiastic about kneeling down next to a guy who was likely about to put six shots into me instead of the other way around and who may be down, but not necessarily out. I do however applaud his effort to safe a life, whatever said life might be worth.