When the Police are Needed, Please Standby...

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrKitty

Re: When the Police are Needed, Please Standby...

Post by MrKitty »

deanimator wrote:
MrKitty wrote:LEOs are so often the targets of unfounded and blatantly false allegations to internal affairs and/or their superiors and now increasingly civil suits..no wonder why so many spend time considering their next move.
And so often they're the targets of completely founded and true allegations.

A while ago I saw a cop complaining about the lawsuit by a young man who was kidnapped as a minor. By whom was he kidnapped? A home invasion gang operating INSIDE a major city police department. They kidnapped him and threatened him (and his family) in order to get information on a neighbor whom they'd targeted. The cop called his suit "opportunistic"... as if there was no harm in kidnapping children, or as if he'd spent his whole life waiting to be kidnapped by police in order to "cash in".

Don't portray the police as a bunch of "altar boys" because they aren't.
I don't think they're all altar boys in any stretch of the imagination - by and large I find people in general are a pretty nasty lot - but I do think that many LEOs do more than just collect a check. =P There are always going to be people that don't respect or acknowledge the rule of law or believe that they are free and welcome to operate outside of it's parameters, whether it be judges/magistrates, lawyers, LEOs/Sheriffs, elected or appointed political officials, etc. Corruption is corruption and people should always be held accountable for their actions. In NEO Lord knows we've seen our fair share of corruption and racketeering over the years. What I'm getting at is in the same way not all gun owners are George Zimmerman, you can't simply paint all LEOs with the same brush.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
justherenow

Post by justherenow »

MrKitty wrote:
deanimator wrote:
MrKitty wrote:LEOs are so often the targets of unfounded and blatantly false allegations to internal affairs and/or their superiors and now increasingly civil suits..no wonder why so many spend time considering their next move.
And so often they're the targets of completely founded and true allegations.

A while ago I saw a cop complaining about the lawsuit by a young man who was kidnapped as a minor. By whom was he kidnapped? A home invasion gang operating INSIDE a major city police department. They kidnapped him and threatened him (and his family) in order to get information on a neighbor whom they'd targeted. The cop called his suit "opportunistic"... as if there was no harm in kidnapping children, or as if he'd spent his whole life waiting to be kidnapped by police in order to "cash in".

Don't portray the police as a bunch of "altar boys" because they aren't.
I don't think they're all altar boys in any stretch of the imagination - by and large I find people in general are a pretty nasty lot - but I do think that many LEOs do more than just collect a check. =P There are always going to be people that don't respect or acknowledge the rule of law or believe that they are free and welcome to operate outside of it's parameters, whether it be judges/magistrates, lawyers, LEOs/Sheriffs, elected or appointed political officials, etc. Corruption is corruption and people should always be held accountable for their actions. In NEO Lord knows we've seen our fair share of corruption and racketeering over the years. What I'm getting at is in the same way not all gun owners are George Zimmerman, you can't simply paint all LEOs with the same brush.

Nice way to bring Zimmerman into this convo. It may have been more approiate to say that not all cops are like Harless, at least he has had his "day in court". Remember innocent until proven guilty. I dont know you, but by your post I am assuming your a LEO, reading how you wrote that do you beleive all suspects are guilty until proven innocent which is contrary to the justice system?
--------------------------
G;ock 32 .357sig/Sig Saur 3in 1911 .45acp
Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
PA Non-Res 10/12/2010
Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

justherenow wrote: Nice way to bring Zimmerman into this convo. It may have been more approiate to say that not all cops are like Harless, at least he has had his "day in court". Remember innocent until proven guilty. I dont know you, but by your post I am assuming your a LEO, reading how you wrote that do you beleive all suspects are guilty until proven innocent which is contrary to the justice system?
Take a breath, justherenow. Not an LEO! Haha. Actually work in IT. =P I am not saying Zimmerman is guilty or not guilty - I'm literally saying not every gun owner is GZ. Saying that all LEOs are all bad or lazy or only show up to collect a salary is like saying all gun owners will invariably and inevitably shoot and kill someone because that's what one gun owner did. It's not right when either side makes these kinds of sweeping generalizations. We complain when grouped together in such a way by the media, political and social entities so I'm just trying to make sure we hold ourselves to the same standards we have come to demand from others. Certainly we can both agree there are many good cops, there are many bad cops. There are many good gun owners, there are many bad gun owners. I know my point wasn't very well articulated but that's all I'm getting at.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
justherenow

Post by justherenow »

MrKitty wrote:
justherenow wrote: Nice way to bring Zimmerman into this convo. It may have been more approiate to say that not all cops are like Harless, at least he has had his "day in court". Remember innocent until proven guilty. I dont know you, but by your post I am assuming your a LEO, reading how you wrote that do you beleive all suspects are guilty until proven innocent which is contrary to the justice system?
Take a breath, justherenow. Not an LEO! Haha. Actually work in IT. =P I am not saying Zimmerman is guilty or not guilty - I'm literally saying not every gun owner is GZ. Saying that all LEOs are all bad or lazy or only show up to collect a salary is like saying all gun owners will invariably and inevitably shoot and kill someone because that's what one gun owner did. It's not right when either side makes these kinds of sweeping generalizations. We complain when grouped together in such a way by the media, political and social entities so I'm just trying to make sure we hold ourselves to the same standards we have come to demand from others. Certainly we can both agree there are many good cops, there are many bad cops. There are many good gun owners, there are many bad gun owners. I know my point wasn't very well articulated but that's all I'm getting at.

No biggie, the way I read it was like saying Zimmerman was guilty, thats the problem with the web, you cannot tell how someone is thinking when the setting is done in type and not spoken.
--------------------------
G;ock 32 .357sig/Sig Saur 3in 1911 .45acp
Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
PA Non-Res 10/12/2010
Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams