Girls and Guns: Behind the trend

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wobblygoblin

Re: Girls and Guns: Behind the trend

Post by wobblygoblin »

bignflnut wrote:Totally a theory, but I'll toss it out there:

The ladies have seen many of the guys carry for a few years, without being injured or arrested...thereby making it seem a safe option. The idea has grown on them over the course of a few years. Perhaps there have been tense moments where they asked you "do you have it?" and you say "yes" and suddenly they feel safer.

I think that's a very valid thought. I remember my wife an I were walking downtown Columbus to go to my office Christmas party and after being approached for money my wife asked if I was carrying and I had to answer no because of my work but I think she would have felt a lot better if I had been carrying.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

Mrs. Daspirate wrote:
Not only that, but there are a lot more men that are secure enough in themselves to really show women how to use guns without it being "cute" , without doing it to laugh at them, or without it being a backhanded way of proving how manly they are. It's growth in both genders, I think.
I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, while I get that pink firearms are an attempt to make women feel more comfortable with being around them, at least maybe that is the intent, I do think it's a little patronizing to women who want to take their self-preservation seriously. Men should feel comfortable to show a woman how to shoot, she might just save their lives in a bad situation.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:There's a couple of guns around here that Ted has me shoot now and again that are painful. I only shoot a couple of rounds.

Why he has me shoot them is if those are the ones that are accessible in a critical incident, I need to know how ...
Exactly. My wife is not fond of shooting my car carry: a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special. However, it may be the gun that saves her life, so she learned to handle it.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

wobblygoblin wrote:In fact, while I get that pink firearms are an attempt to make women feel more comfortable with being around them, at least maybe that is the intent, I do think it's a little patronizing to women who want to take their self-preservation seriously.
I've been biting my tongue on the pink guns thing, but that's exactly how I feel about it, although I get the pink .22's for kids and such. I don't mind if women buy them, if pink is their thing, but I never will.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
blah

Post by blah »

Daeyel wrote:
DasPirate wrote:
blah wrote:And on that note, there are few things that {inappropriate language} me off more than some jackwagon who hands his girlfriend a .44magnum at the range and is giggling like an idiot when she is obviously terrified of it. I'm sorry but you don't give any newbie, male or female, a gun like that the first time out.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on your last little bit here. When I take new people to the range, we spend about 1-2 hours (before even going to the range, usually in my living room) going over safety, operation, grip, stance, sighting, squeeze, etc. before ever setting off their first shot. At the range I'll start them on a .22 and by the end of the day, if they're feeling confident, they're welcome to shoot anything around them. That includes the painful ones. My point being that whether you " give any newbie, male or female, a gun like that the first time out," should be determined by their comfort level and, if they're up for it, it's perfectly acceptable.
Pretty sure he meant the jerks that give her the shotgun loaded with magnums, and then get a real kick out of watching her get knocked down because she didn't know stance, or that it would kick so hard. Then they wonder why she won't ever go shooting with them again.

Anyone properly trained can build up to and shoot any caliber. But never should their first shot be a mag shotgun or 7Mag
What he said pirate. I'm talking about the idiots with a newbie at the range that is giggle like an idiot when someone is obviously terrified of the hand cannon or howitzer they are about to shoot.

If someone is confident and WANTS to shoot a 44magnum or a 12 gauge with magnum and they have demonstrated they have a good handle on the basics, then by all means have at it! Like you, I have no problem letting someone shoot anything they want. Just don't hand someone something they are unprepared for is what I was saying. In fact, I took my coworker and his wife out shooting once. They were thinking of getting something for home defense. This included my 870 12 gauge. He liked it. She was a little hesitant but wanted to shoot one shot with it and after that one shot she was sure she never wanted to shoot it again. But she shot it well after I showed her exactly how to handle it. She shot it well too. Just didn't like it. Long story short, you and I have the same thought process here I think.
~ Glen

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to understand?
Daeyel

Post by Daeyel »

Interesting thing is, a man and a woman together, the woman armed will end the conflict, regardless of her companion's status.

Or as a Utah lawman put it, at the range scenario, the video shows 2 Hispanic men and a Hispanic woman outside a convenience store. Situation develops, and 90% of the rookies tested are killed by the woman, because they focused on the men.

Same goes for the criminals. All their attention and menacing will be aimed to intimidate the largest threat into compliance. Guys, she may save your life and wallet. Check your ego! :P

I am in full support of women carrying. Soon as my friend gets here from Zanesville and Cbus, I'm taking her shooting again, and getting her into a concealed carry class. Finances permitting, I'll buy her a gun and holster as well.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

My wife HATES pink guns because they make it look too much like a toy.

Our children have already been trained that the color of the gun does not matter, but I don't trust 'other people', let alone their kids, to have a clue.
MyWifeSaidYes