Alaskan ATF Agents Copying Bound Books from Gun stores

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Alaskan ATF Agents Copying Bound Books from Gun stores

Post by Bruenor »

BATFE is at it again...

http://www.examiner.com/article/alaska- ... e-with-atf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the owner of the Great Northern Guns store in Anchorage, Alaska, stated that his refusal to turn over to the ATF his 'Bound Book' has picked up political support from the state's elected officials in Washington.

Frank Taiazza of Great Northern Guns indicated that he had received nearly a dozen calls today from local, state, and national officials who expressed the desire to investigate why the ATF would request that he turn over the 'Bound Book' containing sales records, names, addresses, and personal information, including photo I.D.s and background checks, of all citizens who had purchased guns in his store since 2007.
Taiazza refused to honor the request of the ATF to turn over the book, citing his legal rights and the firearms owner protection law which clearly states that no government agency has the authority to take the entire record of gun sales transactions, which would amount to a back door attempt at registering gun owners in a national database.

The law allows the ATF to access only the specific records it needs during an ongoing criminal investigation of a customer, or in an attempt to trace a specific firearm in a criminal investigation, or in an on site inspection of the store's records. Never before has the agency asked to take the book off the premises to make copies of the entire written database of customer transactions.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
synack2

Re: Alaskan ATF Agents Copying Bound Books from Gun stores

Post by synack2 »

I know when I didn't renew my C&R I had to turn in my book of records. At first I just let it expire and forgot all about mailing it in, and I had moved. About 6 months later they found me and I got a certified letter demanding it. I promptly mailed it in. Are regular FFL's required to turn in their records if they don't or can't renew as well?
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

synack2 wrote:I know when I didn't renew my C&R I had to turn in my book of records. At first I just let it expire and forgot all about mailing it in, and I had moved. About 6 months later they found me and I got a certified letter demanding it. I promptly mailed it in. Are regular FFL's required to turn in their records if they don't or can't renew as well?
Could you please post a copy of the letter demanding it? Not doubting you, just I was under the impression that C&R's didn't have to turn over the bound book.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

The ATF has specifically ruled that 03 FFLs do NOT have to send in their records, as they're not "in the business" of buying and selling firearms. The regs all reference "end of business" operations...

Of course, you can't expect the Bat-boyz to know their own regs.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
HILLTOP

Post by HILLTOP »

Yes, If your business closes, you must turn in your bound book, and all of your 4473 forms.
Steve
HILLTOPFIREARMS.COM
synack2

Post by synack2 »

jabeatty wrote:The ATF has specifically ruled that 03 FFLs do NOT have to send in their records, as they're not "in the business" of buying and selling firearms. The regs all reference "end of business" operations...

Of course, you can't expect the Bat-boyz to know their own regs.
Is that a newer reg. Because I am pretty sure when I filled out everything is said that I had to keep a record and turn it in if I didn't renew. Its been expired now for a long time though so them may have changed it since I got mine.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

From page 7 of the August, 2004 FFL Newsletter:
Licensed collectors are not required to turn in their acquisition / disposition records if their license is
not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity. The GCA requires the delivery of required
records to the Government within 30 days after a firearms “business” is discontinued. A license as a
collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. This is in contrast
to firearms importers, manufacturers, and dealers who are licensed to engage in a firearms business.
Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations
are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collector’s licenses.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I was Misinformed then. The ATF did want my records, but they seemed more ticked that I had moved and not informed them of my new address if I remember right. Anyway the letter was a "This is a Warning this time, but..." if I remember right. I just sent in my little spiral notebook page that had a total of 9 transactions on it.