George Zimmerman granted bail, more evidence released

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

George Zimmerman granted bail, more evidence released

Post by Klingon00 »

I am reluctant to start this thread due to the locking of previous threads but I thought since this case is potentially important to CHL issues I think it's good that we stay up on the latest news in this case. My hope is that this thread may be a place we can dump links to news stories concerning this case and I hope it doesn't devolve into proselytizing for one side or the other. If I am wrong for starting this up again, Mods please delete. Thank you.

George Zimmerman granted $150K bond, apologizes to Trayvon Martin's family
http://southflorida.sun-sentinel.com/ne ... 2623.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After more than a week in jail, George Zimmerman just found out that he will be allowed bail on the second-degree murder charge he faces in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

Judge Kenneth Lester said Zimmerman's bond will be set at $150,000. He will be placed on GPS monitoring, and will not be released from custody today.
Warning Graphic Photo: Possible New Evidence Shows George Zimmerman's Bloodied Head
http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerm ... 5F-NO0Zw8N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new photograph obtained exclusively by ABC News showing the bloodied back of George Zimmerman's head, which was apparently taken three minutes after he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, gives possible credence to his claim that Martin had bashed his head against the concrete as Zimmerman fought for his life.
Zimmerman also made a statement:
Zimmerman told Martin's parents that he was "sorry for the loss of your son." He said he didn't know that Martin was 17 and that he was unarmed during their altercation in a central Florida neighborhood.
http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-says-so ... 27466.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
medmandan

Re: George Zimmerman granted bail, more evidence released

Post by medmandan »

Just got the text from the local news on this and was going to post if someone hadn't already. While things are beginning to look up for Zimmerman, I do agree that concerns for his safety are valid, whether he is in custody or out in public! I also am very interested to see/hear what evidence it is that the original prosecutor has that apparently "contradicts" Zimmerman's story about the incidents and his injuries..
soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by soontobedeity »

I would not have apologized.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

soontobedeity wrote:I would not have apologized.
I thought that too, even if it's heartfelt is it a good idea in his position? I wonder if his attorney advised him to do this?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I dunno, acknowledging their loss may not have been so bad. It might help to "humanize" him. It won't help the riot-seeking masses, but it may help the parents.

If he said "I'm sorry I shot the bugger," that would be different.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

In that most of us have chosen sides, even if we haven't admitted to choosing sides, I believe that he is not a danger to anyone and that he did act in self defense. With that said, however, I think it's a little bit looney tunes that a guy charged with 2nd degree murder has been released on bail to the tune of $150,000.

He is being charged with MURDER, ffs... $150k bail? You don't have to be Bill Gates to come up with that from a bondsman.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Klingon00 wrote:
soontobedeity wrote:I would not have apologized.
I thought that too, even if it's heartfelt is it a good idea in his position? I wonder if his attorney advised him to do this?
Based on prior activities, Zimmerman appears willing to act completely on his own and even contrary to his lawyer's advice.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I just read an article from the Orlando Sentinel which said that GZ had asked for a private meeting with the family early on, but I don't know if this was before it broke nationally. He was denied. The article claims that what he said today is what he wanted to tell the family in the private meeting.
Daeyel

Post by Daeyel »

I would not have apologized in that manner. Apologizing for defending myself? Sorry, but no. What I might have said, the family would not want to hear.

I would not have said anything at all. This is a little too sensitive right now. No sense fanning flames.

I do wonder if Zimmerman can ever have a normal life, if he will be declared innocent, only to be assassinated a week, month or 5 years later, assailants unknown....
Hard thing to wonder if any trip to the store will be your last if the guy on the corner will recognize you and try to get payback for an incident that happened X amount of time ago.
Perhaps he will undergo plastic surgery and a name change.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Mustang380gal wrote:I just read an article from the Orlando Sentinel which said that GZ had asked for a private meeting with the family early on, but I don't know if this was before it broke nationally. He was denied. The article claims that what he said today is what he wanted to tell the family in the private meeting.
Worthless mama and papa are interested in M-O-N-E-Y, as are Sharpton, Jackson, Spike, et al. Speaks VOLUMES, IMHO, of the "caring parents". Sad fact that a 17 year old had to die, but in the other thread I just had to bail out, watching the trashing of Zimmerson that some "pro-gun" folks were giving him. 6 years ago, my 80 year old mother and 85 year old father were robbed IN THEIR HOME by 3 black youts in hoodies. My mom collapsed from heart failure after this and though she lived another 5 years, she was never the same. NO APOLOGIES from youts-in-hoodies.

Last year, my 92-year old father was mugged by 3 black youts in hoodies. No apologies from Sharpton, Jackson,et al. I didn't expect any. They are racists, through and through. I don't care if the muggers were black or white - that crime is heinous. But RACE does give you an "out" apparently. Shame on our society for that.

Back in the 50's/60's if the "N' word was used in our house WE WERE SPANKED (and pretty severely). Human life had value. We were taught that GOD created us all equal and we were equal in HIS eyes. Georrge Zimmerman is not my hero, but I believe his effort to meet with the Martin family was sincere. They would have none of it. THEY WANT MONEY, THE MEMORY OF THEIR SON BE D****NED. This speaks volumes of our society. Unfortunately I think GZ will be a sacrifical lamb to racists who want little more than monetary gain.

Shame on those of "us" who supposedly believe in 2nd amendment rights who have jumped on the lynch George Zimmerman train.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Mustang380gal wrote:I just read an article from the Orlando Sentinel which said that GZ had asked for a private meeting with the family early on, but I don't know if this was before it broke nationally. He was denied. The article claims that what he said today is what he wanted to tell the family in the private meeting.
Here's an article I found on that:

George Zimmerman wants to meet Trayvon Martin family
Attorney Ben Crump says Martins won't meet with shooter
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Trayvo ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wife testifies by phone after threats...
http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/04/20/zi ... nt-person/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Zimmerman’s family testified by phone in the hearing at the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center, saying he is not a flight risk nor a threat to the community. Zimmerman’s family members were testifying by phone because they say they have been threatened.
DERSHOWITZ BLASTS ZIMMERMAN PROSECUTION: 'NOT ONLY IMMORAL, BUT STUPID'
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... on-immoral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The arrest affidavit did not mention the photograph, or the bleeding, gashes, and bruises on Zimmermans’ head. Professor Alan Dershowitz of Harvard Law School stated upon release of the arrest affidavit that it was “so thin that it won’t make it past a judge on a second degree murder charge … everything in the affidavit is completely consistent with a defense of self-defense.”

After the release of the photo, however, Dershowitz went much further, telling Breitbart News that if the prosecutors did have the photo and didn’t mention it in the affidavit, that would constitute a “grave ethical violation,” since affidavits are supposed to contain “all relevant information.”

Dershowitz continued, “An affidavit that willfully misstates undisputed evidence known to the prosecution is not only unethical but borders on perjury because an affiant swears to tell not only the truth, but the whole truth, and suppressing an important part of the whole truth is a lie."
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

This isn't starting out very well. I did a bit of "housecleaning" of a couple of posts.

Please let's have cooler tempers, and calmer words.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

Two points in reference to the picture of the head injury.

First, the head is extremely vascular and bleeds profusely. The amount of blood present does not mean that much.

Second, the actual danger in any trauma to the head (especially blunt force trauma to the back of the head) is the brain hitting the skull and possibly causing a bleed either inside the brain itself or between the brain and the skull.

Here Is a link to a case in which a simple fall down the stairs caused a brain bleed. While I am no expert, this new evidence, to me, shows his life and well being was in danger. He had to have refused transport to the hospital against the advice of the responders - since only a CAT scan would have been able to rule out a bleed.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

The chief investigator may have undercut the prosecution's case while he was on the stand. He stated that they had no evidence to indicate that Zimmerman did not break off following Martin when advised to do so by the dispatcher, no evidence to indicate that Zimmerman was not returning to his car and no evidence to indicate that Zimmerman initiated the contact or fight that resulted in the shooting. If that is the case, the prosecutor stepped on it in charging Zimmerman. All of that is necessary to get a conviction for the charge. Based on what came out today, in a real stretch of the law, they MIGHT be able to get manslaughter.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand