New cars to have data recorders by 2015 according to bill

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jabeatty

Re: New cars to have data recorders by 2015 according to bil

Post by jabeatty »

sodbuster95 wrote:On the other hand, the Jeep was completely computerized and included a compass, gyroscope, and GPS. With enough memory, the thing could have recorded an exhaustive almanac on my driving including such detailed data as whether or not I had a passenger (air bag sensors detect that.)
There's no need for exhaustive memory when a device is capable of transmitting the data in real time.

Will you know?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

jabeatty wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:On the other hand, the Jeep was completely computerized and included a compass, gyroscope, and GPS. With enough memory, the thing could have recorded an exhaustive almanac on my driving including such detailed data as whether or not I had a passenger (air bag sensors detect that.)
There's no need for exhaustive memory when a device is capable of transmitting the data in real time.

Will you know?
Yeah, I suppose it's coming to that. IIRC, the newer Wranglers include an option for on-board internet / WiFi hotspot using cellular plans and a built-in router. Because THAT is exactly what we need to further distract drivers already more concerned with texting / talking than actually driving.

Maybe insurance companies should have devices that monitor whether or not people are actually paying attention to driving while they're operating a 2000-pound cage. (EDIT: I don't actually want any part of that, either).
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
BobK

Post by BobK »

This data has been a big factor in accident litigation within the trucking industry.

Whenever a person has an accident with a DOT-regulated trucking company, it is common for an ambulance chaser to file a lawsuit regardless of the merits of the case because they know a trucking company must carry $1 million in liability insurance.

The event recorder quickly helps the trucking company's insurance determine potential fault and decide upon the case strategy to use. If it indicates the trucking company is at fault, then reaching settlement is desirable. Conversely, if not at fault, then a more aggressive defense is warranted.

It is more than just the last few seconds. At least in trucks, it records the number of hard braking incidents since the previous computer reset, for example. This is used to either infer the truck driver is aggressive and frequently needing to slam on the brakes, or it can be used to show the driver is cautious and anticipates traffic, rarely having to brake hard.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

sodbuster95 wrote:
evan price wrote:I see this being bad, right from the start. OF course it will be "for the children" so that we can use the black box data to find out who was speeding before a crash.
But if it can track speed and time and location, it can also track if you have violated the law. I can see Kalifornia requiring you to bring your black box in for inspection when you renew your plates, and then they issue you your retroactive speeding citations for the past year, which must be paid before you get your new license and registration, oh, and of course- the car won't run with the black box pulled.

I'm reminded of that movie with Stallone and Snipes, Demolition Man... :x
With the cost of volatile memory so low, I'm sure they could expand the amount of time data is retained, but most of these devices only record information for the last few seconds before impact. The logic was to have a "snapshot" of the moments before impact to show if there were safety or design defects that might have caused the crash. Well, more accurately, so the data could be used to prove such defects DIDN'T cause the crash. I believe they designed them to retain only 3-5 seconds of data in a specific attempt to 1) ease consumer fears and, 2) avoid litigation as to ownership of the data (I.E., fighting subpoena's for the data in civil claims and warrants from law enforcement agencies).

The Jeep Wrangler I'd been driving around for the last 4 years had one installed. Whether the entire truth or not, I can't say, but Chrysler disclosed in the manual that it recorded continuously and retained a 5-second interval that was, if I recall correctly, based on air bag deployment. Since the Wrangler has a gyroscope built into it for the traction control system, the data recorded included information on speed, direction of travel, degree of roll-over, percent of braking per disc, direction of steering and yaw angle (if any). There was a note in there that the information was strictly for Chrysler's use in defect investigation but, of course, Chrysler is just as subject to warrants as anyone else.

On the other hand, the Jeep was completely computerized and included a compass, gyroscope, and GPS. With enough memory, the thing could have recorded an exhaustive almanac on my driving including such detailed data as whether or not I had a passenger (air bag sensors detect that.)
Make sure you have jumper cables and hook them up to the black box directly from the battery immediately after a crash. :D

Note: this is injected for humor only and is not advice of any kind.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand