Deputies confiscate handgun and conceal-carry permit

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Deputies confiscate handgun and conceal-carry permit

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Mrs. Daspirate wrote:alright, I'll bite - if a complete stranger rolled up into my driveway and started yelling about me breaking into other homes and refusing to leave.... yeah, I'd be reaching for a gun, if I didn't already have it. And if it was Joe confronting said stranger, I'd have our shotgun ready, in addition to whatever Joe had on him at the time.

Man sounds nuts, drugged up, or drunk. None of which I would want to deal with unarmed if he was unwilling to leave peacefully. It doesn't say he even so much as aimed the shotgun, just that he armed himself against a stranger acting crazy and aggressive.
How about retreating into your house and calling 911 ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Mrs. Daspirate wrote:alright, I'll bite - if a complete stranger rolled up into my driveway and started yelling about me breaking into other homes and refusing to leave.... yeah, I'd be reaching for a gun, if I didn't already have it. And if it was Joe confronting said stranger, I'd have our shotgun ready, in addition to whatever Joe had on him at the time.

Man sounds nuts, drugged up, or drunk. None of which I would want to deal with unarmed if he was unwilling to leave peacefully. It doesn't say he even so much as aimed the shotgun, just that he armed himself against a stranger acting crazy and aggressive.
Also a very good idea. I'd still be reaching for the gun though.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
blah

Post by blah »

Mrs. Daspirate wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:

Yes retreating to the house and calling 911 is a good, and so is grabbing a gun if you think you're in danger. And carmen, do we know where the idiot on the ATV and the homeowner were in relation to where the house and garage are? Did the person have a clear path from inside the garage to the inside of the house? Is the garage full of crap and he couldn't make it through quickly enough? Not all garages are attached to the house. My parents' garage is behind the house. Was the idiot on the ATV between the house and homeowner? We don't have enough information from the article to judge.

I'll say I agree with everything Mrs. Daspirate has said. If it were me, and I tried to verbally settle the situation... if he took even a step toward me in a frantic state like it sounds like he was in... I probably would have drawn my pistol and and least kept at low ready. Once again, all depends on how far from me the guy is.
~ Glen

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to understand?
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Mrs. Daspirate wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:

In scenarios I've played out in my head, one of the things I've thought about is maintaining visual of the BG as much as possible. I am not going to simply run into the house without trying to keep track of the threat because if I lose track of the threat, once I am in my house, there are multiple places the BG can attack from.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I give the home owner a lot of credit for not putting the ATV driver down.....If I have a SG in my hands and someone aims their handgun at me I am not retreating....
But I still would retreat and call 911 as I said before.....And keeping a eye on the attacker is a good idea. The guy seemed like a nut, so anything is possible.....The reason I think he was a nut is, if someone has a bead on me with their SG, I'm not pulling my pee shooter on him, I'm going to try and retreat as fast as I can...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
dgfohio

Post by dgfohio »

Maybe the guy on the ATV was the captain of the neighborhood watch.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Let me see if I have this right, Carmen.
If you are in your driveway, being confronted by an angry person on a four wheeler, you would retreat to the house and call 911
But if you are in the grocery store and see a guy shopping with a long gun strapped to his back, and not bothering anybody, you'll draw and hold at low ready.

Do I have that right?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Chuck wrote:Let me see if I have this right, Carmen.
If you are in your driveway, being confronted by an angry person on a four wheeler, you would retreat to the house and call 911
But if you are in the grocery store and see a guy shopping with a long gun strapped to his back, and not bothering anybody, you'll draw and hold at low ready.

Do I have that right?
I've had consistently good results with ether.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

carmen fovozzo wrote:

That works if Officer Friendly routinely circles your block. If he's 15 minutes (or a couple hours) away, I'm not going inside.

I am VERY surprised that nobody has come out and stated that they'd have shot the ATV rider when he drew. Why not? I sure hope I would have - you can't have a much more direct and blatant threat to your life than that.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

dgfohio wrote:Maybe the guy on the ATV was the captain of the neighborhood watch.
LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Chuck wrote:Let me see if I have this right, Carmen.

Do I have that right?
LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

If true, this comment left on the stories website offers a little more insight into the case
footville wrote:
This 51 yr old man is SUPPOSED to be an adult. He came into MY yard asking about a white truck.(sorry no white trucks here) HE had a loaded gun. HE starting making accusations and threats towards an 18 yr old. He was told to leave and would NOT! Police were called. He finally left yelling at the top of his lungs all the way back to his house.
He returned making MORE threats and was told the police were coming and told to leave AGAIN. HE was arrested.
I am NOT making excuses for my son taking the shotgun out. But WHY must i now live in fear that this ADULT may come back and burn my house down? It is a shame that some people have nothing better to do than gossip!
April 13, 2012, 11:36 AM
So it would appear that the man with the shotgun was the 18 year old son of the homeowner.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

jabeatty wrote:
I am VERY surprised that nobody has come out and stated that they'd have shot the ATV rider when he drew. Why not? I sure hope I would have - you can't have a much more direct and blatant threat to your life than that.
My action would rest with distance and what was in the shotgun. If the end of the drive far enough away that I would question if I would hit my target, the guy with the handgun would probably be at the same disadvantage and my best move might be to retreat to the house or move to cover much like the man in the story.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
dgfohio wrote:Maybe the guy on the ATV was the captain of the neighborhood watch.
LOL!
Hahaha! You beat me to it! ...too soon! :o
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

cashman966 wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
My action would rest with distance and what was in the shotgun. If the end of the drive far enough away that I would question if I would hit my target, the guy with the handgun would probably be at the same disadvantage and my best move might be to retreat to the house or move to cover much like the man in the story.
I wouldn't have anything but buckshot in a defensive shotgun, but I agree with regard to distance limitations.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.