Boston man $170,000 richer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

Boston man $170,000 richer

Post by docachna »

Various discussions have ensued here about videotaping LEO's in the course of their workday.

Here's a guy that got arrested for doing it, and profited handsomely from the experience:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/27/r ... ettlement/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
djthomas

Re: Boston man $170,000 richer

Post by djthomas »

I wouldn't say he profited handsomely. The case has been going on for five years. Even with the ACLU's help that's plenty of time to rack up legal bills of a quarter million or more. If I had to guess I'd say that from a dollar for dollar perspective he probably about broke even. Factor in the hours of his life that he'll never get back and it's not even close.

The sad thing is that it's the taxpayers who lose. The public officials who caused the fiasco couldn't care less. If I ran a city I'd have a rule that any settlements or legal awards get charged back to the department in question. A couple of bozos in your department cost us $170,000? I guess you'll have to hold off on getting new SWAT toys for a few years.

That's how it works in business; when an executive demands that we pay out an otherwise deniable claim to a customer to keep the relationship the first thing we say is "No problem, I just need your cost center and GL." Funny how when it's money that would go to their bonuses they all of a sudden start asking lots of questions.
BobK

Post by BobK »

docachna wrote:. . . profited handsomely from the experience:
If we view the term "profited" in a broader sense, it also depends upon the goals of the attorney who was arrested. It may be he wanted to cover his legal expenses while effecting change in process -- training the police officers:
“The law had been clear for years that openly recording a video is not a crime. It’s sad that it takes so much for police to learn the laws they were supposed to know in the first place,” Glik said in an ACLU media advisory. “I hope Boston police officers will never again arrest someone for openly recording their public actions.”

The city has since initiated a training program for officers that teaches them to ignore individuals who film their activities in public. The two arresting officers in Glik’s case were also disciplined.
His statement, "It’s sad that it takes so much for police to learn the laws they were supposed to know in the first place", sounds like the open carry discussions going on around here lately.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Revenue =/= profit.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Shutterbug57

Post by Shutterbug57 »

How were the cops in this cas acting any differently than King George's standing army of the 1770s. That army, as we know, brought us the 4A and the "no standing armies" clause in the US constitution and many state constitutions. We fail to heed the provisions of our governing documents to our peril.
Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Idi Amin, Castro, Pol Pot: All these monsters began by confiscating private arms, then litterally soaking the earth with the blood of tens of millions of their people. Ah, the joys of gun control. - Charlton Heston 11 Sept 97