NEWS: Canfield woman gunned down - stalker possibly

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

thatguy

NEWS: Canfield woman gunned down - stalker possibly

Post by thatguy »

Wow how tragic for our area... apparently she was a local school teacher, shot this morning outside of her townhouse. Maybe tied to a stalker that she had.
Link below.

http://www.wkbn.com/content/news/local/ ... IMLfQ.cspx

Prayers out to this woman's family.
Last edited by thatguy on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youngstown Ohio.... Gotta live somewhere.
Freddie

Re: NEWS: Canfield woman gunned down - stalker possibly

Post by Freddie »

Wow, that's really sad to hear. I wonder how much time she had to react.
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

Freddie wrote:Wow, that's really sad to hear. I wonder how much time she had to react.
Just goes to show you never know where and when something like this is going to happen. No matter how much time she had to react if she wasn't armed it wouldn't have made a difference. Sad sad world we're living in. Only going to get worse I feel.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

ATGglobal wrote:Just goes to show you never know where and when something like this is going to happen. No matter how much time she had to react if she wasn't armed it wouldn't have made a difference. Sad sad world we're living in. Only going to get worse I feel.
I completely agree. It can happen at any time. I realize this, but it seems most people are so ignorant and believe "It won't happen to me or my family". Hell, my own family is guilty of that mindset. And I've had girls make the comment "well if you don't go somewhere where you think you'll need a gun........" (implying the hood). I simply reference Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, etc.

There are some things that you can obviously train or prepare for. But from the sounds of it, I'm not sure there's much this woman could have done.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I'm NOT blaming the victim.

I wish Ms. Sutera had people close to her that could have helped guide her in ways to protect/defend herself.
Relocation, unlisted phone, constantly changing her MO.
Very sad!

I try to maintain situational awareness at all times. AFAIK, I'm not being stalked.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jake:

Been following this in the local media....

Nobody's mentioned a THL or CHL....

But the gal was a teacher so she couldn't have carried at work, or to & from work anyway....

We're going to get a lot of "easy availability of guns" flak over this one, but little "she could have protected herself", I expect....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

There is plenty one can do without a gun.
Sadly for her it doesn't matter at this point.

I'm curious as to how serious she took her stalker.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jake:

The 2300 newscast on WKBN should have the details on the shooter - apparently he's deceased.

I'm guessing that she knew the guy fairly well - TRO, stalking, etc. How serious? Dunno, but a TRO is a click or two above "Don't Call Me Again!"....

Agreed that there are other things you can do, but what I don't know is things like size/weight differentials, and whether she expected anything worse than more stalking....

Which doesn't change the foolishness of having to get a license to protect oneself under what amount to "immediate" circumstances, or the school thing, which negates the license....

So, is she supposed to stay home until somebody gets the guy before he gets her?

Stalking can take a while....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

Saw a blurb on a local news station about how Ohio's stalking laws aren't strong enough and that's why this woman is dead...

He was intent on committing murder and then suicide. No law would have stopped him. It's unfortunate that this lady was not able to defend herself. I don't believe, even if she had a CHL, it would have been effective, especially considering she was on her way to work....in a school.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

SMMAssociates wrote: Dunno, but a TRO is a click or two above "Don't Call Me Again!"....
Nuh, uh. The news report I saw said that TRO's are 75% effective. What a crock.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pirateguy191 wrote:
SMMAssociates wrote: Dunno, but a TRO is a click or two above "Don't Call Me Again!"....
Nuh, uh. The news report I saw said that TRO's are 75% effective. What a crock.
The media should ask Michelle Dieterle how effective they are. Wait, she was murdered in her own home even though a DV protection order was in place.

The funny part I always find out about TPO, TRO, etc is they basically give the stalker your contact info. If they didn't know where you live or work, they do now. It has to be printed on them or else they don't know where to stay away from. :roll:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

pirateguy191 wrote:Nuh, uh. The news report I saw said that TRO's are 75% effective. What a crock.
TROs accomplish exactly what they were designed to do; when you measure their effectiveness in that fashion, they rate closer to 100%.

Of course, speeding tickets, green initiatives, and our education system(s) are equally effective at accomplishing their intended aims.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

EPO's and TRO's should come duct-taped to a nice big piece of body armor--that way they'd provide some protection.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I know it won't solve everything, but I suspect that restraining orders would be a lot more effective if police and the courts took violations seriously.

Was this the first time he violated the order? Probably not!

Ken
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Ken:

The problem, IMHO, is that even if the local LE establishments take Protection Orders seriously, they can't be on top of the protected persons 24/7, and they may not be able to incarcerate the person(s) that are being protected from, or distract them, for any reasonable length of time.

'Course, the PD won't suggest "get a gun".... (Actually, Canfield might - just rural enough to think maybe, but no comments to that effect in the local rag. Here in Boardman, hard to say. Youngstown would have had a prayer rally under the last Mayor, but the new guy and his new Police Chief seem to have a little more sense. But just a little....)

The only other alternative is to hire a bodyguard 24/7, and you can't necessarily bring him/her onto the school property, either. After all, she wasn't a state legislator....

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם