News Update: Ref who brought gun to school Sylvania

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

medmandan

News Update: Ref who brought gun to school Sylvania

Post by medmandan »

http://www.13abc.com/story/16687951/ref ... hview-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, the ref who made the brilliant decision despite having a CHL to bring a handgun onto school property has been charged..now to see what kind of sentencing he ends up with...
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: News Update: Ref who brought gun to school Sylvania

Post by sodbuster95 »

Pretty sure it's been hit on before, but if it's me, my first motion is to suppress the statement to police reporting the theft. It may be a failing argument, but it's worth a shot. Without the statement, they can't prove the firearm was ever in the school.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

If they suppress the statement... and then later at trial they put him on the stand and ask him, wouldn't that be the same thing? He's got to answer with the truth, does he not?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Sevens wrote:If they suppress the statement... and then later at trial they put him on the stand and ask him, wouldn't that be the same thing? He's got to answer with the truth, does he not?
IANAL - is a prosecutor allowed to ask about evidence that's already been suppressed?

And, isn't that the best time to invoke the 5th? (actually, the BEST time would have been at the beginning.)

JUDGE: I'm not allowing the marijuana confiscated at the scene from the car to be in evidence.
PROSECUTOR to owner of car. Did the office take any marijuana out of your car when he pulled you over?
CAR OWNER: Yes - he did.

Now that just doesn't seem like it should be ok - does it??
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

Sevens wrote:He's got to answer with the truth, does he not?
Unless it will incriminate himself.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Sevens wrote:If they suppress the statement... and then later at trial they put him on the stand and ask him, wouldn't that be the same thing? He's got to answer with the truth, does he not?
He cannot be compelled to answer a question which will incriminate himself. However, it would not get to that point because he also cannot be compelled to take the stand. If he were to choose to take the stand (which would be foolish in most circumstances, but particularly these), the prosecutor could not ask about or even infer as to evidence which has already been suppressed.

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

WayneB wrote:And, isn't that the best time to invoke the 5th? (actually, the BEST time would have been at the beginning.)
The issue here is that he had a statutory duty to report the theft of the firearm. By adhering to that duty, he was forced to incriminate himself by revealing that he had committed a crime.

Now that he has incriminated himself by filing the report, the next issue becomes whether the prosecutor should be allowed to use what is essentially evidence obtained in violation of both the 4th and 5th Amendments. My answer is "no", obviously.

medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Seems a little hinky to me that he would be required to report the theft from an area where said gun was not to be allowed in the first place, and then be allowed off scott free after breaking said law... :shock:
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

I'm agreeing with sodbuster about the whole 4th & 5th issues. I believe that you cannot write / enforce a law that forces you to violate the right to not self incriminate.

My fear would be that the defense would pose that and the judge would say "then he should not have willingly complied with a law that violated his rights. Since he did so willingly, the self incrimination will stand.".
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if there's any kind of hierarchy but for what it's worth failure to report is a fourth degree misdemeanor. Deadly weapon in a school safety zone is a fifth degree felony. It seems to me that if anything would need to yield it would be the M4, failure to report. So to Wayne's point he would have been protected from charges that he failed to report but since he opted to do so he did it with full knowledge that he was copping to a felony.

But maybe it doesn't work that way and when two statutes are in conflict with each other the fifth protects you from both? I don't know.

It seems to me that this is going to be instructive on the notification law too. If you're in an enumerated CPZ (felony) are you obligated to inform (M1 for failure)? What if you're in a private CPZ (M4) where the penalty for failing to notify is the more severe?